Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have been wondering how's the ride in a Soul equipped with 16" inch zires? I have only driven the one with 18s and the ride was pretty firm.

Has anyone of you tried both?
I tried it with the 18 inch tires and bought the 16 inch version. The 18 inchers are nice to see but hard very hard. The 16 incers are just a bit better in that respect. You are just a little les likely to damage them while parking and hitting the side of a border.

I am pleased with the 16 inch tires.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Appreciate this discussion topic.

I'm trying to decide between the titanium + or !. I like the look of the 18" wheels, but not really sure about the sand/black interior with the titanium exterior, and don't really care about the sunroof or fog lights.

Right now I am leaning towards going with the + with upgraded stereo. Then at some point swap out the wheels/tires to a 17" size which would be a good compromise between the 16" and 18" look and ride quality. Plus I like the idea of being able to pick my own wheels for a custom look!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Right now I am leaning towards going with the + with upgraded stereo. Then at some point swap out
the wheels/tires to a 17" size which would be a good compromise between the 16" and 18" look and
ride quality. Plus I like the idea of being able to pick my own wheels for a custom look!
same here.... I always liked to get "different" wheels and 17
would be my choice...

·
Registered
52 Posts
That's exactly what I ordered back in Jan. Titanium + with upgraded stereo. STILL waiting for delivery here in Long Island. Hope it's soon

·
Registered
2 Posts
Plus vs. Exclaim

Gman -

I just purchased the Java ! last night after test driving the Titanium + automatic and the Java !. They also had the Titanium ! and it did look kind of weird with the tan/black interior and Titanium exterior. The Titanium Plus with the upgraded stereo was nice....I just had my heart set on the Java color and manual tranny which seems much more responsive. The Titanium Plus with the all black interior looks much nicer with the upgraded stereo you will be in love.....

·
Registered
183 Posts
Tuac,

Thanks for the info. I think I've pretty much decided on a Titanium + with the upgraded stereo. Hopefully I'll be able to pick up some silver accents for the all black interior which I thought was a little boring.

I'll bet the Java looks fanastic with the tan/black interior! Would you mind sharing what you paid? Did you get any off MSRP?

·
Registered
22 Posts
off msrp

I paid $500 less than the MSRP which basically split the difference between the MSRP & invoice....with some haggling back & forth, but it was worth it....they started at $1000 over MSRP and we just worked our way down from there.....the dealership I purchased mine from just got about 12 of them in Wednesday 3/11/09.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Ok, this is the voice of experience. without dragging this out into a 1000 word essay, here is the condensed version...

225/45-18 this is the size for the factory 18"
205/55-16 this is the size for the factory 16"
195/65-15 this is the size for the factory 15"
notice the second number...45, 55, 65. this number is the profile, or the height of the tire mounted on the wheel. what it mean is percentage of height, relative to the width of the tire. so 225/45 means that the height is no more than 45 percent of 225 millimeter width. same for all the other sizes.

what does this mean in real terms??? it mean that the lower the profile, the shorter the distance between the wheel rim and the bottom of the tire as it rides.
how does that translate into ride quality? less rubber to cushion your ride.
There is one other tire component missing here in our discussion thread....
Sidewall stiffness, also called your speed rating of you tires. Cheap tires = R rating, high performance tires= Z or W rating. And what does that translate into ride quality??? Again, higher speed rating=stiffer sidewall=stiffer ride.
Now, if you're going to be ricky ricer race car driver, then you're probably going to have the Z rated tires so you can hang out with the big dogs, you'll pay in ride quality.
My recommendation is the H rated tire... 130 mph sustained speed. are any of you going to go faster than that? also, stay away from the current flavor of the month "directional" tires. why? if you're running camber adjusted, and with directional tires,you can only go from front to back rotation, not left to right. so if your front and rear camber is different, which race cars are, you'll wheels will shake, and that's perfectly balanced. why? because the fronts and rears wear differently, so when you rotate, your camber is now different and the tires will have to settle into the new camber settings.
Added to this, with higher wall stiffness from Z and W tires, comes more road noise and noise transmission into the cars cabin. But yeah, you get to look cool an show off your stuff.
What do I recommend? This is a great tire... bar none....
Falken Zeix ZE-912
I just bought a set and am throughly amazed, for one reason, they're the quietest tires I've ridden on. I have 205/50-15 in H speed(these are not on my soul) and they handle excellent despite not being a Z or W rated tire. It's the best of 3 worlds for me, ride quality, quiets road noise, and performance.
Falken is made my Sumitomo Tire of Japan. the tire is made in thailand if i'm not mistaken.

I could go into so much more, such as plus sizing for performance/ride, shock replacement for ride/performance and suspension spring types and rate types...
but I think my thousand words is up.

If you'd like more specifics, PM me.

Hope this helps some of you out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts