Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

The List of Ugly?!!!

Tags
list the ugly
12K views 32 replies 18 participants last post by  Kerig3 
#1 ·
10 ugliest 2014 new and redesigned cars

https://autos.yahoo.com/news/10-ugliest-2014-new-and-redesigned-cars-221204114.html

By Michelle Megna
December 16, 2014 5:12 PM

We asked Kelsey Mays, consumer affairs editor at Cars.com, to identify the new and redesigned 2014 vehicles that seem to cause the most negative reaction. We then surveyed 2,000 drivers and asked them to rank the cars by ugliness.

In car design, sometimes size matters. Mays noted that the top five models are all small hatchbacks, which may be why drivers found them less desirable.

"People associate size with humbleness, so to speak, so they will see a small hatchback as not so pretty, and also make a correlation between a cheap car and an ugly car. For instance the Mirage is one of the least expensive on the market," said Mays. "If the cars were bigger, but had the same nose, grill and headlights, I'm curious if it would change the perception because the design is on a larger vehicle that looks more expensive."

When drivers wrote in their own reasons for why people buy ugly cars, many blamed a car’s fuel efficiency. The Spark EV, for instance, is an electric car that is billed as getting a 119 combined city/highway MPG fuel economy equivalent, according to Chevrolet.

Thanks, but no thanks!
It appears beauty is in the eye of the beholder, even when it comes to car design. "The Soul and the Cherokee are selling like crazy," said Mays, "so clearly a polarizing style is not impacting the sales for those cars."

Nine percent of respondents have declined a ride because the driver's car was too ugly-- and more men (14 percent) than women (5 percent) have refused a ride in a grimace-mobile. But men are more likely to buy an ewwww-evoking car if it means saving money.

Forty-one percent of drivers surveyed said they would buy an ugly car if it was less expensive than others on their list, and 45 percent of men, compared to 36 percent of women, said they'd do so.

All but the BMW i3 and i8 models in our survey cost well below the average new car price of $33,754 as reported by Kelley Blue Book analysts. For example, the Spark EV is $19,995, the Kia Soul is $15,495, the Fiat 500L is $19,900 and the Mirage is $12,995.

Among those who would buy an ugly car if it were cheaper than good-looking cars, here's how much they'd have to save to close the deal:

$1,001-$5,000 – 47% (Women: 45%; Men: 49%)
$5,001 or more – 26% (Women: 29%; Men: 23%)
$501-$1,000 – 21% (Women: 17%; Men: 23%)
$100-$500 – 7% (Women: 9%; Men 5%)

Here's how drivers ranked the importance of factors in a car purchase:

Purchase price – 36% said this is the most important factor; 10% said least important.
Safety ratings -- 28% said most important; 12% said least.
Driving performance – 19% said most important factor; 12% said least.
How the car looks – 10% said most important; 36% said least.
Cost of insurance– 7% said most important; 32% said least.

Here’s how voters ranked the top 10 ugliest new model or redesigned 2014 cars:

1. Chevrolet Spark EV (7.25)
2. Kia Soul (6.74)
3. Fiat 500L (6.48)
4. BMW i3 (6.14)
5. Mitsubishi Mirage (5.72)
6. Toyota 4Runner (5.13)
7. Mitsubishi Outlander (4.95)
8. Jeep Cherokee (4.82)
9. Honda Accord Plug-in Hybrid (4.1)
10. BMW i8 (3.59)
(Cumulative score based on a scale of 1 to 10, with 10 the least appealing.)

Mays said he was a bit surprised the Spark EV, which is an electric model sold only in a few states such as California and Oregon, topped the list because it looks similar to the standard Spark model, which has sold well. "They did things like close up the grill, because on electric vehicles that improves aerodynamics, which improves efficiency, so it makes sense it looks the way it does, but it didn't sit well with the eyes of survey respondents," he said.

Respondents gave the following as reasons why people would buy a Spark EV (see left):
They want to be "different": 42%
That's all they could afford: 25%
They don't know it's ugly: 19%
Other: 13%

Methodology: CarInsurance.com commissioned an online-panel survey of 2,000 drivers in September 2014. Respondents ranked 10 vehicles that were new or redesigned for 2014.

See less See more
#5 · (Edited)
Yeah i'm not understanding this. It's popular but yet they think it's one of the ugliest? I really don't see it. I've tried to view the Soul from a distance and think ok is this really "oddly ugly?" Not to me. It's different but not ugly. Most people view the world that way though when things are "out of the box" different.

And no, I will NOT buy something that is ugly because of good economy or any other reason. It's has to look good to me. I have to look at this thing everyday and if I can't stand the sight of it, I will hate it.

You are telling me the Nissan Cube isn't on the list??? To me that is the ugliest car i've ever seen if you are talking about being different.

#7 ·
You are telling me the Nissan Cude isn't on the list??? To me that is the ugliest car i've ever seen if you are talking about being different.
Ditto for the Nissan Juke. I mean, beauty is subjective, but...

You can tell Mr./Ms. Mays is an American writing for other Americans:
"People associate size with humbleness [...]" That's not the case anywhere but in North America and it's changing even here. Generations brought up on cheap nasty cars like Vegas, Pintos, Chevettes, Sundances, and Gremlins grew to associate small with cheap. But in Europe and Japan, it was clear early on that small cars didn't have to be penalty boxes to drive and so even some small cars featured upmarket features and materials. The original Honda Accord (now the size of the current Honda Civic) showed up in the mid-70s to show you didn't have to buy a land yacht to get nice features and comfort.

"[...] reasons for why people buy ugly cars, many blamed a car’s fuel efficiency [...] Thanks, but no thanks!" I'm guessing Mr./Ms. May's tune would change if fuel here cost $6-10/gallon like it does in many other developed countries. If picking an uglier car meant reducing one's fuel budget by half or more, I'll bet people wouldn't even see the "ugly".

What a waste of electrons that article was.

#10 ·
We had a 2014 Spark entry model 5 speed for a tow car got it new out of Chicago for $9890 new plus tax in MS and shipping great price but my wife didn't like as much as the Soul, we drove the Soul and was Sold and after 2 hrs of haggling we finaly got a deal I could live with our Chevy + $5200 out the door. Not a great deal but a fair deal, I also left a couple hundred on The table by forgetting to have them remove the over priced floor mats and the little nylon thingy that Goes in the rear. We think that there is no comparison between the Spark and the Soul in our view the Spark is on the bottom and the Soul on top in comfort, drive ability, power (the Spark is drastically under powered) and looks, we really like the Soul. Oh and by the way the Spark is built by Daewoo motors in S Korea.

#13 ·
It's faaaaaaaaaaaaar from ugly. I know for a fact I don't have bad tastes when it comes to designs of anything and I've looked long and hard at the Soul from up close to at a distance and it's a sharp new aged car. If you are comparing it to the 70's - 90's yes it will freak you out. lol

#14 ·
I like the looks of my new to me 2012 Soul better than the 2014 & 15. Don't care for the surfboard on the back of the newer ones, the dash, & still can not understand why on the '14 & '15 the grill has that smoked plastic cover over it. But its just a matter of personal tastes I guess. Personally I think the front of my 2012 Kia Soul looks a bit like a Pug Dog!!

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Kia motors Kia soul

Dog Pug Mammal Vertebrate Canidae

#18 ·
The Cube died of ugly.

As for the people taking this survey, clearly their taste is only in their mouths.

#23 ·
Soul Patch?

#25 ·
Meow?

Reactions: User2014
#28 ·
Ugly? Ummmm, not really but it sure is odd looking. We for sure didn't buy it for the looks and as a matter of fact, almost didn't buy it because of the way it looks (and the hamster commercials annoy the phook outa me!). It was only by chance of a bad rain storm we were waiting it out in the show room and my wife, to kill time sat inside the one they had in there.
What sold us was the comfort and space vs Rio/Forte and Fords Fiesta/Focus.

#32 ·
Yes! Kia Soul is THE UGLIEST CAR.
Visual trash. Sight pollution.

Whenever I get behind one I pass them because they are so hideous.

You all just HAD to buy the cheapest car sold in the USA.
I think we just determined what's really ugly.

Reactions: Kerig3
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.