Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This just in..Check it out. They rock...

They're back, and the Kia hamsters are time traveling in a 2013 Soul. See 'em breakdance to the Axwell remix of "In My Mind" by Ivan Gough & Feenixpawl ft. Georgi Kay and bring down the house - an 18th century opera house. They're taking over the ballet and showing a traditional upper-crust crowd how to party.

Bringing Down the House: Official 2013 Kia Soul Hamster Commercial [HD]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0B5vuAYk94&feature=player_embedded#!

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes..nicely done indeed.

I noticed a few HAMSTAR apparels in the video..hats, sweatshirts.....

·
Registered
915 Posts
I think is a great video, but we are used to hear a most aggressive type of music with the Hamsters, but at the same time I love their attitude...and Marc thanks for sharing the “In My Mind" video, just love it!

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey, at least it has chicks dancing...lol and the Hamsters don't look as fake as they did in the last one when they are dancing amongst the fighting bots!

Not as catchy as the LMFAO or the first one but well produced just missing something.

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
From KIA Media site:

"
IRVINE, Calif., August 30, 2012 - Kia Motors' music-loving hamsters, the stars of some of the most watched viral videos in the world over the last three years,return this weekend in a new campaign for the wildly popular Soul urban passenger vehicle that brings the 21st century's electronic dance music craze to a stuffy 18th century opera house. Set to "In My Mind" (Axwell remix), the hamsters take over an ornate theater with a never-before-seen display of modern music, high-energy dance moves, a laser light show and an epic stage dive that has the wig-wearing patrons on their feet and roaring with approval. "Bringing Down the House" will begin appearing on more than 18,000 movie screens nationwide in National CineMedia's FirstLook pre-show program on August 31, followed by the television debut during the MTV Video Music Awards on September 6 as well as presence on all Kia social and digital platforms including Facebook, YouTube and Kia.com.

Kia's iconic hamsters are back in New Soul Ad Campaign "Bringing Down the House."
From the beginning, the hip hamsters have had their paws on the pulse of pop culture and emerging music trends and the new ad continues to present the funky Soul as "A New Way to Roll." With a wide variety of soundtracks ranging from the classic hip-hop track "The Choice Is Yours" by Black Sheep to LMFAO's smash hit "Party Rock Anthem," previous Soul campaigns have significantly raised consumer awareness and perception and helped Kia become the fastest-growing car company in the U.S. over the last five years.[SUP]1[/SUP] With more than 20 million views, 2011's "Share Some Soul" is the third most-watched automotive ad in YouTube history, and last year the hamsters were recognized as the Madison Avenue Advertising Walk of Fame's first-ever "Rookie of the Year" after being named the "Automotive Ad of the Year" for two straight years by Nielsen Automotive.
"From hamster wheels on city streets to a post-apocalyptic video game world, the hamsters have earned international acclaim and notoriety for the Soul and elevated the Kia brand by appealing to the young and the young-at-heart, and with 'Bringing Down the House' they are back with their infectious energy, enthusiasm and music," said Michael Sprague, executive vice president, marketing & communications, Kia Motors America. "The Soul is designed for a new, youthful audience that wants to stand out from the crowd and that carries through to our marketing efforts, which emphasize creativity, optimism and fun."
Created by David&Goliath, Kia's advertising agency of record, the new 60-second spot fuses old and new worlds by placing a spotlight on the emergence of electronic dance music, which has quickly found its way into the mainstream with some of today's biggest musical acts incorporating classical sounds and instrumentation into their arrangements.
"Bringing Down the House" starts with all the grandeur and scale of an epic Hollywood period film as ballet dancers, an opera singer and a slightly odd-looking conductor take the stage in 1799. As soaring music and vocals fill the air, the audience is stunned when the conductor is revealed to be a music-loving hamster in disguise. With the cast and audience looking on in shock, a futuristic Kia Soul rises through the stage floor and a hamster DJ spins this summer's electronic concert anthem, "In My Mind" remixed by Axwell – a member of the DJ trio, Swedish House Mafia. It doesn't take long before the sight of dancing hamsters decked out in colorful "Hamstar" clothing causes even the crustiest of the upper-crust crowd to lose their inhibitions. With the entire opera house on their feet and moving to the music, the hamsters make a memorable exit as their Soul travels through hyperspace with a hamster winking and waving its paw in the interstellar wind.
"Since the launch of the Soul in 2009, music has been a driving force in moving the Kia brand into the mainstream and connecting with consumers in a more relevant and conversational way," said David Angelo, founder and chief creative officer, David&Goliath. "Our theme line, 'A new way to roll,' enables us to always bring a fresh musical perspective to each Soul execution while staying current with the latest pop culture trends. In 'Bringing Down the House,' we take the conventional approach of remix and turn it on its head by blending the worlds of electronic dance music and opera in a way that is both musically and visually unexpected."

Kia Media

·
Registered
146 Posts
Hmmm, I really wanted to like this new commercial, but it was kinda eh, for me. They're still cute as heck, but the ballerinas were really cheesy. I preferred this song with the skater chicks...much cooler.

I liked the one with the robots especially when you see the one shaking it's booty and the half robot breakdancing! Funny stuff!

·
Premium Member
4,959 Posts
The two previous videos had such impact because they had some genuinely amusing elements in them and were pretty original. Whoever was in charge of this production either had no imagination or just blatantly plagiarized other videos and stuff.

The Opera house sequences are very nicely filmed and lit in a definite nod to the Ridley Scott style of period dramas. Mixing face powder, Georgian wigs and opera with modern music was surely done with more impact by Falco in 1984 with "Rock Me Amadeus" (certainly with a smaller budget) and used in the movie Amadeus.

FALCO - Rock Me Amadeus ( film version )

And lets not forget "Stand and Deliver" in a similar period drama plus rock genre:

Adam Ant - Stand And Deliver - YouTube

When it comes to modern music mixing with opera it's never been done better IMO than these two glorious tracks from that late genius Malcolm McLaren.
It's strange that these also date from 1984.....the awesome album Fans. Turn up your volume and be enveloped.

CARMEN (L' Oiseau Rebelle). - YouTube

Malcolm McLaren - Madame Butterfly [OFFICIAL VIDEO] Malcolm McLaren RIP.mp4 - YouTube

I HAVE TO GET THESE ON MP3 so I can crank them in the Soul!

All the lasers and stuff looks a bit more like Dedmau5 than hip hamsters to me.......too generic.

As the Soul zooms towards the camera I thought "That 70's Show".

The rippling wave of the arm is pure ZZ-top.

As is the car zooming off into the distance (see the end of Rough Boy.....the world's sexiest car-wash/space station)

Zz Top - Rough Boy ( HQ ) - YouTube

Did cool, quirky videos reach a peak in the mid-80's?

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
you and i both lol. i thought it was rather cheesy from the beginning.

plus, the constant hamster jokes regarding my car are really getting old lol.

[Sent from HTC Inspire. Pardon errors.]

·
Registered
130 Posts
Not being much of a video-watcher, I've fortunately been able to focus on the actual merits of the Soul without regard to hamster videos. I think I'll keep it that way. As far as Soul advertising goes, what I would really like is to see something like the principles behind David Ogilvy's famous Rolls-Royce ads applied to ads for a very different car (the Kia Soul). It would be about as different from hamster videos as you could imagine. Eventually, it might even lead to a decline in hamster jokes.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts