Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
There’s a few recent threads about these degenerates. I still say they should be jailed for life. 😡

Reactions: Tampaesk8er

·
Registered
35 Posts
It’s taking off virally all over the country. Dumb Tik Tok trends. Been some Hyundais and Kias near me stolen recently. Glad I now have a 2022 (where Kia has added engine immobilizes) although I’m worried some moron will still break my windows and try not realizing my year.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Really some ambulance chaser ought to start a class action suit against TikTok for allowing such mater to be posted and run Rather that starting suits against the auto makers.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
8,744 Posts
It’s taking off virally all over the country. Dumb Tik Tok trends. Been some Hyundais and Kias near me stolen recently. Glad I now have a 2022 (where Kia has added engine immobilizes) although I’m worried some moron will still break my windows and try not realizing my year.
There's other TikTok criminal challenges all over the country. Our local schools and Parks & Rec staff (and taxpayers) are dealing with the "Bathroom Challenge" to vandalize & destroy. Where are the parents?

·
Registered
161 Posts
There's other TikTok criminal challenges all over the country. Our local schools and Parks & Rec staff (and taxpayers) are dealing with the "Bathroom Challenge" to vandalize & destroy. Where are the parents?
I’ve seen that since I toured schools as a designer. It seems the richer the areas of schools the more damage. Cherry bombs used to blow off toilets from the walls and shot put balls dropped on ceramic tiles around pools. I guess we should design schools like prisons...concrete floors, walls and ceilings.

·
Registered
353 Posts
It's called "The KIA challenge", people breaking in to Kia cars and posting it on TikTok.

Glad my 2018 has the push button in the console /w immobilizer. No key exists for mine, except the "Valet" key to open the door.
What i want to know is:
Who's bright idea was it to install a usb port that could do this?

·
Registered
972 Posts
Where are the parents?
On Instagram 🤣
Glad my 2018 has the push button in the console /w immobilizer.
You don't have any immobilizer. It still can be stolen, maybe even easier (if you don't store your fob at home in a shielded pouch, it can be "relayed" to the car, to open doors and start it).
Only 2022 models have immobilizer:
Relay attack:

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
So the tide pod and bathroom damaging is no longer the trend :ROFLMAO::LOL: . our world is turning upside down...
Too bad they didn’t eat more tide pods when that was a thing. Natural selection, or something like that 😁

·
Registered
972 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Who's bright idea was it to install a usb port that could do this?
It is not really a usb port. When the ignition is popped out there is a little square hole piece of metal protruding that remains there. Just so happens that a USB cable fits on there sort of perfectly and grabs ahold of it enough to start up the car.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Soul RedZone
242 Posts
Adding to the discussion.
I have not seen this specifically previously mentioned.

This seems to be
LUCK OF THE DRAW
That the originating tiktok people happen to target hyundias and kias.
They might have just as well targeted many (all) other manufacters cars, which use a nonchip key.

So,
The copycats are targeting hyundai/kia because that was the brand in the source video.
And really, these are viral theft/joyride videos.

Sorta like thinking/believing
The Tide Pod Challenge
Only works with Tide brand pods.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
8,744 Posts
It is not really a usb port. When the ignition is popped out there is a little square hole piece of metal protruding that remains there. Just so happens that a USB cable fits on there sort of perfectly and grabs ahold of it enough to start up the car.
I think the media, as usual, is grossly misreporting the facts. If you watch or read several of them, they get the "details" mixed up. The "USB Cable" just happens to be something that many cars have in them already (phone charging/etc) and has a metal end on it. But the headlines read "Kia's Being Stolen with a USB Cable." Like that's all there is to it.

People have been using screwdrivers, pliers and other metal objects to jam in ignitions for years. But USB Cable is more exciting!!

Reactions: rhysoul
1 - 20 of 33 Posts