Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
UPDATE post #9

Some may remember my past thread about the Soul I owned, and passed along to my significant other. http://www.kiasoulforums.com/145-soul-problems/80962-soul-attacks-again-cautionary-tale.html

Well, the soul has attacked again.

I'm going to try and list the problems as best I can remember in order from when I purchased the car new through the transition to my wife and up to now.

Roof racks improperly installed causing a really bad roof vibration. I made this repair by removing and reinstalling the racks properly.

Factory installed spoiler came loose and damged the lift gate internally. Finally repaired by a body shop that was not the dealer's shop, but recommended by the dealer I bought the car from. The dealer covered the new spoiler and install.

Running problems that presisted since new. After 40,000+ miles the check engine light came on. They replaced the charcoal canister valve. A few days later another check engine light came on and the purge valve was replaced. All under warranty. Problems returned shortly after the repair, and the dealer is refusing to make repairs because the check engine light hasn't came on again.

Speaker lights that would never work properly since new. Dealer replaced the switch at 45,000 miles under warranty and under advisement from one of the dealer owners that I had a long talk with.

Kia add on LED under dash lights would not work properly. Problem was fixed when the new door speaker light switch was replaced.

The front overhead light cluster, with the sunglasses holder, went out at about 30,000 miles. It almost burnt down the car. The dealer replaced it under warranty but damaged the headliner and refused repairs.

We have had problems with the plastic nuts going missing from the fiber pans under the car, and letting them vibrate like mad. I am slowly replacing them with lock nuts that have washers made onto them.

The transmission has never been right in this car. Not at all from day one. Well at 54,000 miles, it started to whine. Three trips to the dealer with them telling me, " You keep getting rocks caught between the rotor and pads." I kept paying for brake repairs. Well guess what. Third day back at the shop, tech and I go for a ride. Within a mile, "Yep, that's a tranmission problem." Same tech that kept telling us it was rocks between the rotor and brake pads.

Tomorrow, with 55,000 miles on the odometer, it goes into the shop for a new transmission. I will be having a word with the owner that I talked to before about this car. If I don't like what he has to say, I'm seeking legal counsel. Well my wife. She's owned the car for a while now. I can't remember how long. I'm to frustrated to remember how long right now.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Wow, I'm surprised you have stuck around for so long. It is possible the car was not put together correctly at the factory and since the bumper to bumper warranty has ran out, I'd trade it in immediately. If the wife still loves it, then there are great deals on 2017s right now.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, I'm surprised you have stuck around for so long. It is possible the car was not put together correctly at the factory and since the bumper to bumper warranty has ran out, I'd trade it in immediately. If the wife still loves it, then there are great deals on 2017s right now.
It went in for the new transmission this morning.

She took over the car and paid it off. That's the only reason I keep up with this car.

The bumper to bumper runs out at 60,000 and that's about 4500 miles away. There's the 10yr/100,000 miles powertrain warranty left to run out. Our dealer offered an extended warranty and she bought that at a cost of $1500. It's an additional 5 years and covers the car up to 100,000 miles. I don't trust the warranty tho.

We looked at the 2017's, but none of them had the options she wanted. Plus the KIA add ons she wants is not preinstalled. Her favorite car was a rental we had, just before buying the Soul(less), was a 2015 Forte. It was a base with a few options. I really liked the car as well. The new Forte isn't doing it. It seems smaller. We even had a good going over on a 2017 Forte 5 SX turbo. Really sweet car but smaller than I expected inside.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
I'd totally downsize to Forte 5 SX. Problem is there isn't any in our area. I think I'll just trade my Optima for another base Soul. Driving 10 miles per day I can't justify a top of the line car any longer.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,613 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Hope either the dealership or Kia corporate can address the issues to your satisfaction. You definitely have been through one incredible journey. Hope things smooth out after this.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'd totally downsize to Forte 5 SX. Problem is there isn't any in our area. I think I'll just trade my Optima for another base Soul. Driving 10 miles per day I can't justify a top of the line car any longer.
We travel a good bit around the quad state area, SC/NC/GA/TN. It's not really worth it to me to have a top line car. I rarely use all the gadgets and amenities. We drive between 35,000 and 40,000 a year, depending on how bad the winters are. The Forte 5 is rare here as well. I have seen two. The only one our dealer got and one passing through. Both were black.

Hey Ben, sorry for your myriad of woes with the Soul. Hyundai has a brand new 2018 Kona that competes with the Soul. It may be worth a look??

2018 Hyundai Kona Preview | J.D. Power Cars
Thanks.

I'll have to look into that car. I don't think they have made it to our dealers yet. I know I haven't spotted one on the road yet.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hope either the dealership or Kia corporate can address the issues to your satisfaction. You definitely have been through one incredible journey. Hope things smooth out after this.
Thanks. We posted at the same time, so I missed your post at first. Our dealer says they are in contact with the corporate HQ about our car, and they approved the replacement transmission. The price I got for a new unit directly from KIA was $6599, without install. Install would be about $1500. So far, Kia has potentially spent close to $10,000 to keep an $18,999 car on the road. I'm not sure if that's good economics. I got a steep discount off the price of the car plus rebates. The original price was $23,999. I wonder if the dealer had a clue about this car's misgivings.

I'm told that our Soul started a bulletin about the evap canister valve and the engine evap system purge valve. I don't know if this is true or not.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
UPDATE

She got the car back this afternoon around 4pm. All new transmission. Everything was running like a brand new car. About 6pm, we went to dinner. We were slowing down and the transmission started whining, AGAIN! Shop is closed. Tomorrow, I will get up and haul this thing back down to the shop for another stay. She'll drive my truck, and I will be out of a ride again. My truck was scheduled for front end work in the morning. I'll have to cancel that. This car is really starting to get under me in a bad way. I haven't been able to get in contact with the dealership owner, that I know, to discuss this problem child car we have. Hopefully tomorrow will be that day.

·
Registered
122 Posts
UPDATE post #9

We have had problems with the plastic nuts going missing from the fiber pans under the car, and letting them vibrate like mad. I am slowly replacing them with lock nuts that have washers made onto them.

The transmission has never been right in this car. Not at all from day one. Well at 54,000 miles, it started to whine. Three trips to the dealer with them telling me, " You keep getting rocks caught between the rotor and pads." I kept paying for brake repairs. Well guess what. Third day back at the shop, tech and I go for a ride. Within a mile, "Yep, that's a tranmission problem." Same tech that kept telling us it was rocks between the rotor and brake pads.

Tomorrow, with 55,000 miles on the odometer, it goes into the shop for a new transmission. I will be having a word with the owner that I talked to before about this car. If I don't like what he has to say, I'm seeking legal counsel. Well my wife. She's owned the car for a while now. I can't remember how long. I'm to frustrated to remember how long right now.
OH, BROTHER !! I don't know how you sleep. That's awful misfortune.

Third from bottom paragraph: What are those locknuts like? I'd like to slide that into my long term memory. I wondered what those flat plastic panels are for. ?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Thanks. We posted at the same time, so I missed your post at first. Our dealer says they are in contact with the corporate HQ about our car, and they approved the replacement transmission. The price I got for a new unit directly from KIA was $6599, without install. Install would be about $1500. So far, Kia has potentially spent close to $10,000 to keep an $18,999 car on the road. I'm not sure if that's good economics. I got a steep discount off the price of the car plus rebates. The original price was $23,999. I wonder if the dealer had a clue about this car's misgivings.

I'm told that our Soul started a bulletin about the evap canister valve and the engine evap system purge valve. I don't know if this is true or not.
Well !
There's "goodspeak" for Kia.
Thanks, that's good p.r. for them, and I appreciate it, given my local poor experience. Wish I lived near such a conscientious dealer.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OH, BROTHER !! I don't know how you sleep. That's awful misfortune.

Third from bottom paragraph: What are those locknuts like? I'd like to slide that into my long term memory. I wondered what those flat plastic panels are for. ?
The panels on my wife's car are a fiber type board substance. They are there to help smooth air flow under the car to improve aerodynamics and help with fuel mileage. The little ridges on the bottom of the front and rear bumpers help to direct the air flow across those panels.

The nuts I get have many names, washer nuts, rotating flange nuts, and body nuts. The important part is that the washer rotates on the nut to prevent tearing of the mountin holes in the panels. They don't require a lot of torque to hold them on. I do add a drop of blue medium thread locker to the nuts. You can find them at some hardware/home improvements stores and auto parts stores. I'm not sure what size. There are a couple on the panels from the factory, or at least there's a couple on the waifu's car. I just took them in and matched them to the thread checker mounted to the bolt and nut box. Then I bought the ones that match. They look like the pic below.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well !
There's "goodspeak" for Kia.
Thanks, that's good p.r. for them, and I appreciate it, given my local poor experience. Wish I lived near such a conscientious dealer.
It started out not being very good. I started taking the car in for problems after two weeks of owning the car. I think, they thought I bought a car and wanted to get out of it. After going round and round over minor and major issues, I gave the car over to my wife and she paid it off. Then she was taking it in for major problems. That's when we met one of the owners of the dealership. He got involved and things started getting better immediately.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I didn't get to see the dealership owner today. I took a ride with the tech that did the diagnosing and transmission replacement. He is in his forties, as I am, and we both relate when it comes to mechanics. We both got our ASE certification when OBDI engine management systems were in their glory days.

We discussed the original transmission problems and diagnosing it. He found the torque converter and differential to be bad. They are sending it to the Kia engineering department in California for a complete teardown and inspection. As far as the new transmission making a whine as it's coming to a stop, he asked us to give it to the next oil change and see if it quiets down as the transmission breaks in. We have about 2700 miles until the next oil change. We just recently had the car serviced before the transmission started giving us problems.

The tech is going to research the whine and see if any other dealers have run into this problem. He's also going to drive a couple new and used Souls to see if they have the same issue. If they do, we'll know it's a "quirk" of the car. If not, a Kia engineer will be called in to go over the car and see if there is something off with the car that may cause the transmissions to keep going out. One possibility is that the areas in the unibody, where the mounts for the engine and transmission bolt on, could have been installed out of tolerance and possibly put the transmission case into an unusual stressed state. Basically, once the transmission and engine are bolted in, it could possibly cause the case to flex in a way to cause accelerated wear on internal parts. I've seen this happen on cars after they have been in a wreck and the unibody straightened without any attention given to the position of the unibody mounting locations for the engine and transmission. Our car has never been wrecked so it would be a manufacturing defect.

That's really all I have for now. I will update this post again when something else happens, or when the next oil change happens, and I get to talk to the tech again.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Transmission whine is getting worse with the new transmission. Tonight and tomorrow, I'm going to pull off/out all of the stuff we've added to the car and prep it to go back to the dealer. Hopefully this time, they'll take the car back and we'll be done with it.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,613 Posts
Hey ben I'm not sure if this got tossed out before but would you have any Lemon Law protection in your State? I'm hoping they just take it back & you get some sort of satisfactory remedy to this nightmare.

All the best to you & your S.O.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey ben I'm not sure if this got tossed out before but would you have any Lemon Law protection in your State? I'm hoping they just take it back & you get some sort of satisfactory remedy to this nightmare.

All the best to you & your S.O.
Yes, we have the lemon law here. This time we are going to try and use it to get this taken care of. I'll be researching it more this evening and in the morning, when I may be able to speak with someone about the legalities of it.

Another update to this saga. The car was hit at my wife's work today. The driver's front fender has a foot long scratch down it. :violin:

·
Registered
488 Posts
Yes, we have the lemon law here. This time we are going to try and use it to get this taken care of. I'll be researching it more this evening and in the morning, when I may be able to speak with someone about the legalities of it.

Another update to this saga. The car was hit at my wife's work today. The driver's front fender has a foot long scratch down it. :violin:
Hopefully you have the at fault drivers insurance information. If not hopefully this was captured by a security camera.

If lemon law doesn't cover the problem vehicle, it would behoove Kia corporate to intervene and make this right. You have been more than patient through this. I would be pretty frustrated and not be looking at a Korean replacement vehicle.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts