Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tomorrow morning I'm off on a 5000+ mile to the Big Horn Mountains of Wyoming and the Tongue River. The first leg is up to Lima, OH to pick up my fishing buddy before heading over to Iowa and mooch a free night and breakfast off my Sister in Law. Then it's over to Burgess Junction, WY with an over night in Rapid City, SD. We'll be staying at "Bear Lodge" at 8300 feet so I will see how the Soul does at altitude (Me too!). After beating the river to a froth for 3 days we will head back to the Black Hills of South Dakota to chase trout in Rapid Creek and Spearfish Creek (we would call them rivers but over there it "Creek"! Go figure?
On the way home we will again mooch a couple of free nights off my sister in law (we take her to dinner and bring Tennessee Sippin Whisky!!). While there will check out the Trout fishing in the Iowa "Driftless Area" (you may want to Google That). Check out Decorah. IA, neat town!!
The Soul has been serviced, washed, waxed, vacuumed, etc.
Last time we did something like this we pulled a popup camper 6500 miles getting 17 mpg. I should get better than 32 in the Soul so we are staying in "Camping Cabins" this trip.
I'll be out of touch in WY but will try to report when we get back to the Black Hills.
I bought the Soul just for trips like this, next year it's Idaho!!

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
JWH.... you're killing me!

Back in the day, when I actually had a job that paid real money, I drove my personal car about 30k per year and always took a long two week vacation every year. Remember that song that said "I've been everywhere, man!" ?
I knew that song by heart. That was me.

I do wish you all the best on your trip.
Take lots of pic's.

Cheers Mate!
TM :cool:

PS: You'll be carrying some extra weight, so put a little extra air in those tires, like maybe 38-40 psi.
It will aid your performance and MPG. It sure does mine!

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Sour grapes!

The Soul is no harder on my back than any car I've driven in the past 50 years.
In fact, she's much better than some I've owned.

:cool:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The tires are at 38 psi. I've made several short trips of 7 hours or so with no back problems.
Taking an early dinner break right now, back on the road soon.

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,165 Posts
my memories of the Black Hills (Custer State Park) - this was a little scary!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
The tires are at 38 psi. I've made several short trips of 7 hours or so with no back problems.
Taking an early dinner break right now, back on the road soon.
Sounds like you're a man after my own heart! I love to travel and I do so envy you!

Take lots of pic's. I dearly regret that I took so few, in my own travels. 35mm prints were expensive though.
Digital cameras have changed the whole scope of picture taking.

Shoot!

I went through the Black Hills with my first Wife. She wanted to get out of the car and play with those buffalo. Her handle on the CB in those days, was "Buffalo Gal".

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So far the MPG is averaging a tad over 33 with the last leg @ 35.95 (99% expressway, flat country and no AC.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
That's pretty good for road trips. You'll find that some city driving can really reduce that.

Bon Voyage!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
1000 miles to go and I'll be home. The Soul has done well (we've made some real goofs though!!).

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Goofs? I won't even ask. rofl

We all make little Goofs, from time to time, but it's usually not a good idea to publicize them.
But do know, that 'Experience is the best teacher'. Eh?
And, on a 5k trip, you will definitely get lots of experience.

I'm just glad the little Soul has made the trip.

Cheers Mate!
TM :cool:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The Soul was well suited for this trip.
When I picked up my buddy in Elida, OH we added a good 400 lbs. to the over all load. And we did not drive for best mpg!
First I was able to trickle in an extra 2 gallons of fuel, wow, another 60+ miles on a fill up! Wrong!! We soon discovered that it was only filling the tank to the proper 12.7 gal.!!?? Several times we ran until the "Feed me light" came on. We could only squeeze in just over 11 gal.!
Generally we would fill up at around 330-340 miles except for the time in Rapid City we filled up with 85 Octane, 285 miles on 12.5 gal. with that junk!!
If the Speed limit was 65 we ran at 72, if 70 we ran at 77!
Now the good people of SD & WY have agreed that we are mature adults and let us run 75 on the E-way (65 on the single lanes!!). We found that a set point of 82 let us pull the long hills of SD & WY without bogging down to 60 mph!! God bless SD & WY!!
The trip up the switch back (and Down) to get to Burgess Junction, WY was 3rd gear all the way. Wonder how a 2L MT would have done?

·
Super Moderator
9,513 Posts
When the speed limit was 65, ran the base AT from Louisville over to Lexington on I-64, down the Knoxville on I-75 to visit a grandson. Then over on I-40 to Nashville and up I-65 up to Louisville. The car was not loaded down, just one person and some luggage. Averaged over 38 MPG on the trip (although the readout said 39). I was surprised that the 1.6 handled the trip in the hills in Tennessee as well as it did and returned that overall mileage. The trip was run at 65-70 MPH the whole way.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I'm late to this thread; but, thanks, JWH, for sharing a great road trip. You were traveling some of my favorite geography. I live just a little north of the driftless region, and it's been MUCH too long since our last trip to my beloved Black Hills. "Creeks"..."Hills" - I guess they like understatement in South Dakota.

Thanks for reminding us all not to trickle.

Sam

BTW: In June 2011, AAA picked the 2012 Kia Soul as one of the top 3 small cars for road trips.

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,165 Posts
we just returned from about a 1700 km trip into the Adirondack Mountains, and visited Fort Ticonderoga to see a re-enactment which was fantastic.

I got the best tankful fuel economy to date of 7.2L/100 km which is 39.4 to the imperial gallon. (the AVERAGE reading said 7.4)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts