Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me where I can tap into a key switched power source under the hood? I dont want to go through the fire wall to tap into the cig lighter for what I need.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Well, one option is to run a relay. You run constant power to one leg and your accessory off the other, and run a trigger coming from the alternator output. When the alternator is pumping voltage, the relay closes and your accessory has 12 volts to it; when the car is off, the alternator is off and the relay opens back up. Upside to this approach is you're not tapping into any circuits. Downside is that you can't use the accessory with the key in the "on" position - it'll only work when the engine is running.

If you need something that works when the car is not running, you'll have to pull the wiring diagram and probably come off the 12v routing wire that is energized when the key is on.

·
Banned
16 Posts
Well, one option is to run a relay. You run constant power to one leg and your accessory off the other, and run a trigger coming from the alternator output. When the alternator is pumping voltage, the relay closes and your accessory has 12 volts to it; when the car is off, the alternator is off and the relay opens back up. Upside to this approach is you're not tapping into any circuits. Downside is that you can't use the accessory with the key in the "on" position - it'll only work when the engine is running.

If you need something that works when the car is not running, you'll have to pull the wiring diagram and probably come off the 12v routing wire that is energized when the key is on.
Can you elaborate more on this? I bought a wire harness with a relay and according to directions when installed the fog light remains lit when car powered down. Does that mean I have to switch the two power wires that comes off the unit so it will work like a switched connection?

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Can you elaborate more on this? I bought a wire harness with a relay and according to directions when installed the fog light remains lit when car powered down. Does that mean I have to switch the two power wires that comes off the unit so it will work like a switched connection?
Hard to say without seeing the unit, but the one coming off the key-switched circuit should be connected to the primary side of the relay switch. Usually that has a coil logo, whereas the power circuit to the lights should have a switch logo.

Are you trying to have the fog lights on whenever the ignition switch is on? If so, that's a bit unorthodox. I usually run fog lights off a relay tapped into the low-beam headlight circuit. That will cause them to be on whenever the low beams are on. If I want more control, I wire another switch somewhere in series with the relay and install it in the cabin so I can turn them off altogether. (You could also wire it in series with the circuit to the lights, but then you'd have more amperage to the cabin switch. It's a little safer to wire the switch into the lower-amperage relay circuit.)

For daytime running lights, the preferred setup is that they should be on whenever the car is in a forward gear. That can be a little more challenging, so many people just wire them to come on with the ignition. Is that what you're trying to do?

·
Registered
847 Posts
I tapped my fog lights relay (trigger) off the running lights (headlight plug) and then through a manual swich I installed in the dash. The lights can be put on at any time the running lights are on and the switch is flipped. You can also do this setup without the manual switch and the fogs will be on anytime the running lights are on. My fogs are VERY bright so I use them only when needed.

Mark

1 - 6 of 6 Posts