Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought my Soul at the end of September and got winter tires & rims as part of the package. The EX came with lock-nuts / wheel-locks which I didn't think was a problem.

Switching over to the winter tires, putting the winters on the first one went ok but the second and third one, the lock nuts broke when torquing them down. After that we didn't even bother trying with the last tire.

The guy had a tool to get the broken lock nuts off so I have just normal lug nuts on three wheels and the lock nut on the fourth. I don't know if I should bother leaving it there or take it off too.

Everything was done by the book, the lock-nuts were the first ones loosened and last ones tightened, torque was 75 lb-ft and they didn't use an air-impact wrench.

The guy said it wasn't uncommon, and looking closely at the two broken ones it looks like they had sort of a crack or something all along the locking pattern that was rusting, so there was only about 1mm of solid metal holding the middle bit to the rest of the nut.

Should I be going back to the dealer to get a new set of lock nuts? Or just get rid of that last one and forget about it?

·
Super Moderator
2010 Exclaim
8,120 Posts
I would go back to the dealer and tell them what happened.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
I just bought my Soul at the end of September and got winter tires & rims as part of the package. The EX came with lock-nuts / wheel-locks which I didn't think was a problem.

Switching over to the winter tires, putting the winters on the first one went ok but the second and third one, the lock nuts broke when torquing them down. After that we didn't even bother trying with the last tire.

The guy had a tool to get the broken lock nuts off so I have just normal lug nuts on three wheels and the lock nut on the fourth. I don't know if I should bother leaving it there or take it off too.

Everything was done by the book, the lock-nuts were the first ones loosened and last ones tightened, torque was 75 lb-ft and they didn't use an air-impact wrench.

The guy said it wasn't uncommon, and looking closely at the two broken ones it looks like they had sort of a crack or something all along the locking pattern that was rusting, so there was only about 1mm of solid metal holding the middle bit to the rest of the nut.

Should I be going back to the dealer to get a new set of lock nuts? Or just get rid of that last one and forget about it?
You can try going to the dealer for replacements, but unless you live or park in a high-crime area, I wouldn't bother with them. Personally, I think they're more trouble than they're worth.

The ones that came with my car are still in the blister package somewhere in my work shop. I won't use them.

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,165 Posts
You can try going to the dealer for replacements, but unless you live or park in a high-crime area, I wouldn't bother with them. Personally, I think they're more trouble than they're worth.
I agree, I had them on my 2012 model, but when I bought my 2016 I told them to forget it. Always worried I might loose the key, but then if anyone was going to steal them they would have the same key the dealer has (which doesn't require your own personal one) to remove the wheels.

In my area I have never heard of any ones vehicle being jacked up to steal the wheels. Besides these are factory OEM and not as pricy as some of the more exotic ones that are available so why would anyone want to steal them and if it ever happened my insurance would cover it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses!

I think I'm just going to remove the one that's on there and forget about it. It does seem like more trouble than it's worth, and having seen how quickly they can be bypassed with the right tool & some know-how, I realize if someone wants my wheels bad enough they'll get them regardless.

Sort of reminds me of when I trained as a locksmith many years ago -- locks are just a deterrent, if someone wants in your house bad enough they'll get in one way or another.

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,701 Posts

Not very hard to remove those, just need to hammer in a socket.

My dealer over-torqued the wheels when they were changing oil/rotating tires. I could barely remove the lug nuts and one of them was probably stripped. The stud is definitely stripped and I'm not sure I can prove anything at this point.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Besides these are factory OEM and not as pricy as some of the more exotic ones that are available so why would anyone want to steal them and if it ever happened my insurance would cover it.
Actually Trevor the cost of some OEM wheels is downright scary, I was quoted over $600 CDN for one rim on the 2015 KIA Forte SX.
Here is the actual rim I am talking about and this is the US cost today.
http://www.oemwheelsrims.com/products/oew074701?make=Kia&model=Forte

Pat.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts

My dealer over-torqued the wheels when they were changing oil/rotating tires. I could barely remove the lug nuts and one of them was probably stripped. The stud is definitely stripped and I'm not sure I can prove anything at this point.
That sucks. I can't believe how incompetent some dealership mechanics are. It's mind-boggling and depressing.

I've been lucky. County Club in Oneonta is a rare exception. They're good people.

·
Registered
54 Posts

It's not hard to replace a stud if your dealer won't do it free.

·
Premium Member
2017 KIA Soul base, Titanium. Bought some better taars.
2,658 Posts

The ones that came with my car are still in the blister package somewhere in my work shop. I won't use them.
Amen to that. And punks don't usually steal wheels any more, when they can take the whole damn car quicker and easier.

Nobody wants to work any more. Nobody knows how to change a tire!

Locks rust up, you lose the key, they are a bad idea whose time has come and gone.

My dealer over-torqued the wheels
when they were changing oil/rotating tires. I could barely remove the lug nuts and one of them was probably stripped. The stud is definitely stripped and I'm not sure I can prove anything at this point.
Amazing how difficult it is to operate a torque wrench these days.:grief:

Actually Trevor the cost of some OEM wheels is downright scary, I was quoted over $600 CDN for one rim on the 2015 KIA Forte SX.
Here is the actual rim I am talking about and this is the US cost today.
OEW074701 - OEM Wheels, Rims and Center Caps

Pat.
The factory/dealer industrial complex has got the parts pricing exactly back asswards. They want a couple of bills for an OE 15" or 16" steelie.:topsy_turvy: TR or DT has them for well under 100 bucks. Junkyards lots less.

I guess Sam Walton never toured the dealers and told them, "Duh. Dood. Price your stuff to sell, it will sell.":surprise:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts