Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone! i just got my switchblade key i ordered from ebay in the mail. The remote part was really easy to install, but now i have to get the key cut. Did anyone else order this key and if so where did you go to get it cut? I stopped at the hardware store and they didnt have the cartridge to cut the 2010 kia keys yet. I might have to bring it to the dealer, do you guy think they will cut it, being that its an aftermarket key? Thanks!

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
I bought the same key off ebay but it was a waste of time and money. No one here, not even the dealership can cut the key.:mad:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Premium Member
2,996 Posts
There was a small fitment problem with the blank folding but it was an easy fix. I have had it for several months now without any problem or major scratches and it had been thrown once or twice. I have posted a complete review of it on another site but it is against the rules here for me to post the link.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There was a small fitment problem with the blank folding but it was an easy fix. I have had it for several months now without any problem or major scratches and it had been thrown once or twice. I have posted a complete review of it on another site but it is against the rules here for me to post the link.
oh ok well thats good, i already put a couple of small dings in mine because my key came with a larger key installed, and i assumed i needed the size 33 blank in there, soo i had to hammer out nail to pop the other key blank on. Did you have yours cut with it on the key fob, or off? should i remove it?

·
Premium Member
2,996 Posts
Mine was shipped with the wrong blank on it so I had the correct one cut before it was put on. I would guess it would depend on what kind of key cutter to be used whether or not the blank should be on the key. Ask what would be easier for the person cutting it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
The unit I purchased on Ebay came with two different blanks and it was easy to determine which one I needed, as it easily slid into the ignition switch before I had it cut. I had the blank cut before putting it into the fob, at a True Value hardware store. They only charged me a dollar as I brought my own blank. I have had it since March (9500 miles) without any issues.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I did a search on ebay for "kia switchblade key" and nothing came up. Doing a search for "switchblade key" got me results for all sorts of different cars but nothing for kia.

I am not sure if its against the rules of the forums, but would it be okay if someone posted the link to the key fobs some of you purchased?

thanks!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I did a search on ebay for "kia switchblade key" and nothing came up. Doing a search for "switchblade key" got me results for all sorts of different cars but nothing for kia.

I am not sure if its against the rules of the forums, but would it be okay if someone posted the link to the key fobs some of you purchased?

thanks!
im not sure, but just type in kia soul flip key on ebay and you should get some that come up. Just make sure you order the right one. There are a couple of different fobs, if you have the key fob with only 2 buttons (lock/unlock) make sure you order the one with only the lock/unlock (plus alarm on back) =]

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
my key works good, but it is a little long... is yours long? also i have to push in the key when the car is off to release it. (if that makes sense), im not sure if this is normal or not. lol

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks! I think the keyword "switchblade" was throwing things off
no problem, and getting the electronics out of the original fob is really easy, you dont need any tool, it just pops right out, and pops right into the new fob... when you order it the fob may come with the wrong key blank attached, so you just have to pop out the small pin that holds the blank on. all you need is a small philips head and a hammer and it will just bang out... good luck!

·
Registered
132 Posts
I had originally gotten the flip key (ESI, if memory serves) from Korean Auto and it was definitely a quality unit, but rather expensive. The price had come down a bit, but not enough to justify purchasing a second one, although I wanted it to consolidate my keyless fob and key to make it easier to find/lose/share/etc.

I then ordered one of the units from e-bay which looks almost identical, and while it is respectable, it certainly has a cheaper feel. My ESI fob is closer in materials and movement to my friends VW fobs, where the Chinese one is lighter and as previously mentioned, the key part is a snug fit, length-wise.

I will say that one benefit of the e-bay key is that the Panic button on the back is slightly recessed. On the ESI fob, the key ring is perfectly positioned to swivel back and lightly touch the panic button when in a pocket and bending over. My neighbors have gotten used to it. Not good for an alarm, I guess! "Wolf!...Wolf!...Wolf!"

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a Canadian 2U Soul, with the Immobilizer system, does anyone know if the trasponder for the immobilizer is in the key or in the key fob. I would love to get one of there for my Soul, but if I can't start the car with it, it's kinda pointless.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts