Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Kia Soul
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbie here. I'm posting in any suggestions as to what to do about my sons recently acquired 2016 Soul. It has the retractable sunroof and when it's closed, there's a VERY noticeable wind noise from it. Before he orders a wind deflector for it, I thought I'd ask here to see if that's a common issue with the Soul and if there's an easy fix for it. I DO NOT want to have to try to remove it in order to replace a gasket. He bought it "as is" with no warranty, so we'd like to fix this as cheaply and easily as possible. Thanks for any and all replies.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Do you have a roof rack on the car or anything that could affect it? I have the panoramic roof and because of it's width there is no rails to put a roof rack on but I thought I would just ask. You might not be closing all the way, there is a relearn procedure you can try (Close the sunroof all the way, hold the close button for a few seconds and maybe even as long as 10 seconds, you will hear the shade and sunroof motors both click a couple of times. Once they click push and hold the open button until the shade and roof open all the way and then close all the way on their own all while you are holding the button open, this will relearn it's fully open and fully closed positions). You should lubricate the tracks, do not use white lithium grease, I have posted on here before the type of grease/wax that Kia recommends.

·
Registered
2014 White Exclaim Tallahassee, FL
823 Posts
IIRC, I don't believe there was an OEM wind deflector for the pano sunroof.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Soul
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the information, man. I truly appreciate it and will pass that along to my son. And thanks for NOT suggesting WD-40. I don't know how many arguments I've seen over the years about whether it IS or ISN'T a lubricant! LOL

·
Registered
2016 Kia Soul
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There's no roof rack on the car. I don't think that panoramic roof would support one even if someone tried to install one.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Soul ! 2.0gdi
385 Posts
FYI, there is no issue with a roof rack with the panoramic roof. Sounds like you are having a closing issue as described earlier. Mine did that when I first got it, but after doing the reset, seals perfect and quite.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Soul
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, he's mister know it all and even though I wanted to try the reset method, he assured me he'd already tried that and it didn't work. I took a good look at the gasket on both sides and it looks like the driver side near the front has an anomaly. It looks to me that it has been crushed in one spot. It has a V-shaped dent in it and I think that's where it's leaking air. I tried to soften it with my daughters blow dryer and straighten it out, but he didn't want to help, so I said the hell with it. It's YOUR car and YOU can fix it or live with it. I'm done. So, it still has an air leak. I don't drive it or have to ride in it. I have a great Forte. Y'all probably won't see much of me around here anymore, unless I pick up a Soul for myself. I'm done trying to help an ungrateful kid try to fix things.

·
Registered
2014 White Exclaim Tallahassee, FL
823 Posts
Yikes. Well, it was nice of you to spend time researching the issue and try to help him. Hopefully the issue doesn't get worse (i.e. water leaking through the gasket).

·
Registered
2016 Kia Soul
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, he and my wife are going to a Pow-Wow this Sunday. If she hears that noise, she'll be all over him to let me try to fix it. I'm not going to the Pow-Wow because I am currently painting inside the house and want to get it done before the cooler weather sets in. I love being outdoors in the cool weather and will be doing a lot of yard work once it sets in. Besides, I'm not into the whole "native American hertitage" thing like they are.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts