Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New member, though I've been lurking since July. I purchased a used 2010 soul at the end of july. Well me being a dumbass left my sunroof open on friday and it poured rain. I'm in the process of drying it out (only the seats and one mat are still damp). A friend suggested that I lubricate the sunroof with silicone lube but I can't find any information on doing so in the manual or searching around the forum/google. One site suggested that most modern sunroofs dont need lube. I figured I would ask you, those who know about souls, for advice, should I lube my sunroof? And if so do I lube just the seal or? It's my first car and this is very unfamiliar territory for me!

PS, this forum has helped me a ton in purchasing this car so thank you all for your information! Love my soul. Sorry to be one of those 1st posters who only ask for advice, I generally just lurk forums and only post here and there.

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
I have not seen the souls sun roof but if Kia is anything like Hyundai, they are crafty indeed!
My elantra had drains in the sunroofs channels for water to escape.
They ran plastic tubing thru the roof and down the A & C pillars to the front & rear wheel wells.
It's like the knew they could never keep the sunroof water tight so they developed an exit strategy for inevitable water to escape.
Keeping those drains clean was imperative as they become clogged over the years with dirt and polynoses and alike.
I do remember seeing some grease on the track work and I doubt 1 rain storm would wash that area clean.
Silicone spray seems to be the norm for rejuvenating weatherstripping on door & sunroofs so I see no reason why that wouldn't be an acceptable substance to use on the weather seals.

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,164 Posts
welcome to the forum, good to have another Canadian onboard but could you elaborate where in Canada (it is the 2nd biggest country in the world), there could be members in your general area if we knew that. Also if you could tell us which model you have and whether its a manual or automatic - thanks.

I have a sunroof and did notice a bit of lubricating on it but not sure exactly what, looked a bit like white grease, but anything you use on door catches, etc would be fine, it moves so you don't want any moveable fittings to seize.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks :) I'll elaborate my profile dealies. In your opinions should I just go ahead and give it a bit of a lube in case?

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,164 Posts
thanks :) I'll elaborate my profile dealies. In your opinions should I just go ahead and give it a bit of a lube in case?
appreciate that, I would clean it first and then apply fresh lubricant to any moving parts, but watch you don't get any excess on your headliner or where the shade slides - don't want to make the situation worse :sneakiness:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the welcomes :)

thanks conwel, I'll do that tomorrow assuming the rain stops at some point, been really hard drying out the car when it's been non-stop pouring rain

·
Super Moderator
2010 Exclaim
8,086 Posts
Howdy and welcome to the forums! :applause:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts