Votes: 4 40.0%
  • Sparco

Votes: 6 60.0%
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Kia Soul + Caribbean Blue
33 Posts
Not really a big fan of either, but if I had to choose, I'd go with the Sparco. Only reason for me is because I don't like having the brand etched on the spokes.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I prefer the second one. Has a nicer color to it too, definitely pops! Plus, the black center badge would match your black Soul moreso than the chrome + gold decal

·
Super Moderator
2010 Exclaim
8,089 Posts
I like the second one better...more spokes. :)

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
The Sparco cause the bolt pattern lines up- no extra ugly holes. but i prefer less spokes.

·
Premium Member
4,959 Posts
I like them both and I hate them both. I have to justify that because there's reasons that maybe you've not considered when buying wheels.

GTR

PRO: beautiful rounded edge spokes with polished rim. That bright edge will make the wheels look bigger on the car and the spokes will be easy to clean with no sharp edges to catch your fingers. Another advantage with the bright rim is that it adds visual depth to the wheel.

Compare our car...........

To this one with a similar spoke design............

CON: They spoiled all that smoothness with the machined logo in the spokes and moulded lettering elsewhere. These, coupled with the extra mounting holes are just evil dirt collectors and will be a PITA to keep clean.

SPARCO

PRO: No extra bolt holes to gather dirt. Again, spokes look smooth edged.

CON: So why did they add those silly little holes adjacent to the bolt holes? Even harder to clean. No polished rim, so no visual depth trickery like the GTR. Mouldings on rim will again catch dirt. Spokes go all the way to rim edge and where they blend into the rim there's all sorts of dirt catching depressions.

I prefer the GTR because I'm not a big fan of totally coloured wheels, so the Sparco isn't to my taste at all. Ultimately, the choice is yours and you being happy with them is the ultimate goal.

One of the many custom Souls that bounce around in my mind is a straight black (not metallic) car with a black leather interior with lime green and carbon-fibre accents like the Porsche 918 Spyder. Those GTR's would look wicked on it (without the extra bolt-holes that is).

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Just as a general observation and not picking on anyone or any wheel.....

I see many of these spoked wheels and I wonder how well they would stand up against pot holes, railroad crossings, and road debris. I've hit things out on the highway, that destroyed one steel wheel and dented the other three. I don't have to wonder what would have happened to a thin-spoked wheel.

The safety of the whole car and its passengers depends on the strength of those four wheels.
I want mine to be as strong as possible. So I run steelies! If I want to dress them up, I put on fancy wheel covers.
They look good and don't detract from the strength of the wheels.

Let us see what you decide on.

:cool:

·
Registered
75 Posts
I run spoke wheels and they are as strong as can be. Im in Chicago and it is the pot hole capital here. Ive hit a couple that came out of nowhere and no damage, a little jarring with 19's and 35 series tires but hold strong. I slow down at every Railroad crossing so not an issue for me. My eyes are always peeled on the road for any debris, potholes, kids, old ladies, etc. If your cautious, there should be no problems.

·
Premium Member
4,959 Posts
Found a car with the GTRs. Looks pretty good.

Picture by SOUL4U

Nice South-African wheel.

Mind you, the Sparcos look good on a car........

I see your confusion of choice.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I prefer the design of the GTR if it wasn't for the logo on the spoke. But I think the Sparco neon green will look better than black, at least from the pictures OP posted, not sure if that's how they look in real life.

·
Registered
928 Posts
I pick the green ones!:p Seriously, though, I agree with MT-ED about the extra holes. To me, they make the wheels look like they were made to fit just any vehicle that came along, which they actually are.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well guys thanks for all the insight but the wife said she hated the green (I thought it would look killer against the shadow paint). I went with the black and red choice I was first stuck on. Ordered 17's with 205/50/17 tires today. Also ordered

Ssd rally roof bars
Ssd aero crossbars
Rola roof basket
Ssd rally light bar
2 hella driving lights
2 hella fog lights
Hella dual supertone horns
Ssd cold air intake
Ssd engine damper
Ssd strut tower brace
25%tint front 5%rest
Hidden hitch

Gonna be a fun week of bolting on stuff

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2010 Exclaim
8,089 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,959 Posts
Ok, those wheels are gonna be bitchin' on the black car. Of course, you realize that there's some reddish metallic in the black Soul paint don't you? Will work together very well. Please post pictures as you do the mods and consider entering the Soul Of The Month competition once you've got the car together. It sounds like it's going to be great.

You'll have to be very careful of curbs with those red rims though. A scuff will really show. You can see a scuff top right on our Soul's wheel, but at least it's silver on silver.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts