Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
ive seen an STS setup in person, and the lag is there as with any turbo setup, but not nearly as bad as most people think.... not to mention it stays nice and hidden, which is a HUGE plus when you want to surprise people...

·
Registered
278 Posts
One other advantage of the STS, the turbo doesn't heat up as much and transfer heat to the charged air..

As for lag, every turbo has lag, you learn to work with it..

·
Registered
48 Posts
The STS turbo

I agree,from checking out the site, and a talk with a gentleman who had one on his chevy truck, the lag is to be expected, but no more than normal. If I could talk my wife into one I so would, but the warranty is the biggest issue, dont want to void it already! If the warranty is not an issue to you, I would seriously consider that setup, especially with almost no underhood modifications and no increase in underhood temps, and the "sleeper" factor! Suprise quite a few people for sure!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Keep in mind these systems are typically on higher torque (250+) based motors, and thus lag is directly related. They are not going to respond well to a small 2.0L motor, even with an appropriately sized turbo. Also, depending on the vehicle the turbo is not as hidden as one thinks. Keep in mind the advantage of not being under hood you incur new disadvantages. Like being susceptible to environmental (driving in rain, snow, road debris and speed bumps) that can easily cause damage.

·
Registered
845 Posts
i have seen many at the local drag strip and was very close to building one myself untill i found the 2.2l chevy turbo manifold so i went underhood! the sts turbos are actually quite smaller to allow them to spool up quicker but with less boost and with any turbo theres gonna be lag that why god gave us nitrous oxide plus it cools your charge air making it even more dense they also put small scuff plates to protect from aforementioned atrocities

but yeah they're great imho when underhood room is scarce or there is a lack of premade manifold ad you don't have the skills neccesary to build your own manifold

just remember you have to have either an oil resevoir and electri pump or plumbing to get oil all the way back to your turbo

1 - 8 of 8 Posts