Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im finally getting to order new struts for my 2011 Soul ! and of course on RockAuto they are out of the front right side on Monroe's. They have Ultra Power and some PRT brand.

AutoZone only carries Duralast. I really wanted the Monroes but like everything out there right now looks like a shortage has developed.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
248 Posts
They have Mando’s

They say they are an OE manufacturer for Hyundai/Kia. I’d use them before any of the Chinese garbage like FCS, Ultra Power or DuraJunk.

Monroe’s go in an out of stock at rock auto. I had a h*ck of a time finding them. If you really want them, keep checking daily. Or put the part numbers in a search and try to find them somewhere else, they’ll be more expensive most likely though.

Left: 172969
Right: 172968

And you can enter your email to be notified when they are back in stock.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Monroe are such garbage that Auto Zone won't even carry them because they don't even meet their lowly standards. I have dozens of stories about their poor performance that I just don't have time to tell. I'll tell a quick one, I have a friend, walked into his shop and he was putting struts on his Buick, I said didn't you replace them like 2 years ago? He said yes, 2 times now in 2 years because they were Monroe so he finally learned and bought a better brand. You are just fine ordering any Amazon China made pile of garbage as it would compare well to Monroe.
Try a better brand or go OEM if you can.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Monroe are such garbage that Auto Zone won't even carry them because they don't even meet their lowly standards. I have dozens of stories about their poor performance that I just don't have time to tell. I'll tell a quick one, I have a friend, walked into his shop and he was putting struts on his Buick, I said didn't you replace them like 2 years ago? He said yes, 2 times now in 2 years because they were Monroe so he finally learned and bought a better brand. You are just fine ordering any Amazon China made pile of garbage as it would compare well to Monroe.
I’m all ears in what brand. Someone ina Facebook group suggested trd or trq? I found those on Amazon. Four for like 300? Not sure how much oem runs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
248 Posts
The Monroe quick struts I just put in my 2011 are actually Sachs (the strut part, there’s a Sachs sticker right under the Monroe sticker) and the top mount looks much beefier than the TRQ (cheap made in China) brand i replaced… those didn’t last much longer than a year.

Maybe some Monroe’s are garbage, but I thought Sachs was a quality strut?

So far they have been fine, and a huge improvement over the TRQ (1a Auto) struts. I’ve have used Monroe OESpectrum shocks and struts for years and have never had any issues with them. They might not last as long OEM, but have been better, in my experience, than KYB and Gabriel or any Amazon Chinese brand.

Maybe I’m just lucky 🍀

·
Registered
248 Posts
I’m all ears in what brand. Someone ina Facebook group suggested trd or trq? I found those on Amazon. Four for like 300? Not sure how much oem runs?

Stay FAR away from TRQ. I replaced 100k mile original struts in my 2011 with them. They didn’t last much longer than a year. The Monroe Quick Struts I just installed a few weeks ago are made by Sachs and so far a great improvement.

·
Registered
248 Posts
NAPA struts are re-boxed monroes. Expect maybe 50K out of them
I wish I knew this last year when I couldn’t find the Monroe’s in stock and got awful TRQs instead. They are about $100 more at Napa, so maybe get the right one at Napa and left one at Rock Auto? Part numbers are the exact same thing as Monroe except with a NS at the beginning.

Reactions: kpayton

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wish I knew this last year when I couldn’t find the Monroe’s in stock and got awful TRQs instead. They are about $100 more at Napa, so maybe get the right one at Napa and left one at Rock Auto? Part numbers are the exact same thing as Monroe except with a NS at the beginning.
Yah I have found local auto stores double their cost as opposed to rock auto. Honestly I’m considering trading up for a 2015 but everyone tells me to not do it that the gen 1s were so much more stable

·
Registered
248 Posts
Yah I have found local auto stores double their cost as opposed to rock auto. Honestly I’m considering trading up for a 2015 but everyone tells me to not do it that the gen 1s were so much more stable

If the car is in otherwise good shape. Keep it.

Your 2011 was the last model year the Soul used the 2.0L Beta engine. In my opinion one of Hyundai’s best 4cyl. Plus it’s not GDI so you don’t have to worry about carbon buildup on the intake valves. So if it’s still in good shape, hold on to it. Keep the transmission fluid serviced and that will last too.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If the car is in otherwise good shape. Keep it.

That’s the last model year the Soul used the 2.0L Beta engine. In my opinion one of Hyundai’s best 4cyl. Plus it’s not GDI so you don’t have to worry about carbon buildup on the intake valves. So if it’s still in good shape, hold on to it. Keep the transmission fluid serviced and that will last too.
Yah that’s where I suck. I’ve not done **** for maintenance other than change the oil and tires. 130k on the clock ands strong as an ox. No other fluids changed. I know fucking idiot. But I’m at a cross roads.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Yah that’s where I suck. I’ve not done **** for maintenance other than change the oil and tires. 130k on the clock ands strong as an ox. No other fluids changed. I know fucking idiot. But I’m at a cross roads.

A drain and fill (or two) with genuine Hyundai/Kia SP-III trans fluid will be better than nothing. Have you changed the timing belt!?

Right now is a terrible time to buy a used car. The prices are through the roof. It might make sense to keep yours going for a while longer.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A drain and fill (or two) with genuine Hyundai/Kia SP-III trans fluid will be better than nothing. Have you changed the timing belt!?

Right now is a terrible time to buy a used car. The prices are through the roof. It might make sense to keep yours going for a while longer.
Nope original timing he’ll the original serp is on it. Original wipers even. The 2015 they want 14k for and it has 50k on the clock. Completely loaded with the beige Isather interior. Right now I have no car payment though just not sure if I’ve done damage to this by running it as hard as I have

·
Registered
248 Posts
Nope original timing he’ll the original serp is on it. Original wipers even. The 2015 they want 14k for and it has 50k on the clock. Completely loaded with the beige Isather interior. Right now I have no car payment though just not sure if I’ve done damage to this by running it as hard as I have

Just keep in mind if the t-belt breaks it might cause very expensive engine damage because it is an interference engine.

I can’t say buy or don’t buy the 2015 but do research the cars history, (Car Fax) especially oil change history.

I’m sure you have seen threads on here about oil consumption. GDIs seem to like more frequent oil changes, and need a little more maintenance to keep them happy.

The website car complaints isn’t too kind to the 2014-15 model years, but many of the people complaining there sound like they have no idea what they’re talking about, so take the complainants with a grain of salt.

Lastly, there’s a few recalls for those years, as well as engine warranty extensions, check the vin on nhtsa website, or Kia’s website to see if they have been completed.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just keep in mind if the t-belt breaks it might cause very expensive engine damage because it is an interference engine.

I can’t say buy or don’t buy the 2015 but do research the cars history, (Car Fax) especially oil change history.

I’m sure you have seen threads on here about oil consumption. GDIs seem to like more frequent oil changes, and need a little more maintenance to keep them happy.

The website car complaints isn’t too kind to the 2014-15 model years, but many of the people complaining there sound like they have no idea what they’re talking about, so take the complainants with a grain of salt.

Lastly, there’s a few recalls for those years, as well as engine warranty extensions, check the vin on nhtsa website, or Kia’s website to see if they have been completed.
I thought the gen 1 2.0 model had a timing chain on it or was that the 1.6? I thought I saw someone talking about it but it could have been someone just talking to hear themselves talk too.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I thought the gen 1 2.0 model had a timing chain on it or was that the 1.6? I thought I saw someone talking about it but it could have been someone just talking to hear themselves talk too.

All model years of the 1.6L have timing chains.
The 2010-2011 2.0L (Beta) has a timing belt, but they switched to a different 2.0L (Nu) in 2012 and those have chains.

Second and third generation all have chains.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
All model years of the 1.6L have timing chains.
The 2010-2011 2.0L (Beta) has a timing belt, but they switched to a different 2.0L (Nu) in 2012 and those have chains.

Second and third generation all have chains.
Of course my model would have a belt lol!

·
Registered
248 Posts
Of course my model would have a belt lol!

It’s a dependable engine. I’d choose a 2011 Soul over a 2012 if I had to. Even with the belt. Yeah it sucks having to replace the belt, I think it was about $700. The book says to replace at 90K miles for the Soul.

I’ve had 5 Hyundai’s plus the 11’ Soul in the family with that engine and they’ve been rock solid reliable. Which is why I keep singing the Beta’s praises 😁

·
Registered
2011 + m/t 2.0l
619 Posts
OEM part number and basic pricing plus shipping
Strut - Kia (54650-2K930) 2010-2011 Kia Soul MSRP: $186.68 Discount: $60.11 (32.20% off) Sale Price: $126.57
Strut - Kia (54660-2K930) 2010-2011 Kia Soul MSRP: $186.68 Discount: $60.11 (32.20% off) Sale Price: $126.57

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
OEM part number and basic pricing plus shipping
Strut - Kia (54650-2K930) 2010-2011 Kia Soul MSRP: $186.68 Discount: $60.11 (32.20% off) Sale Price: $126.57
Strut - Kia (54660-2K930) 2010-2011 Kia Soul MSRP: $186.68 Discount: $60.11 (32.20% off) Sale Price: $126.57
Sweet I think that’s the price rock auto was as well! Thanks man. Really appreciate it!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts