Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

Strange thing happened

3K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  holodoctor1 
#1 ·
I took my wife's car to gas up then to the grocery to pick up medications for myself. When I got in the car to leave the grocery store I put the key in and it would not turn!

The light ring around it lit but nothing else. Not thinking much good I took out the key and flipped it over (silly I know) and nothing happened. It wouldnt turn.

So I sat there for a moment then was just about to have an anxiety attack when I had to sit down. I tried one more time, wiggled the wheel, put my foot on the brake peddle and it turned and started the car!

This is the only time it has happened in 2500 miles on her car. Never on mine (1200 miles). is this a fluke or portend a bigger problem looming? If I sit it in front of the service advisor and it works what is he gonna say? "It might be working fine sir" "Seems to be" "duh".

Any thoughts?

#2 ·
Perfectly normal with just about any car. Just a case of the steering lock actuating because of the position the steering stopped in. Wiggling the wheel like you did solves the problem and takes the load off the locking device, allowing you to turn the wheel.

This has been reported here a few times, but it sure isn't a Soul-specific thing.

#5 ·
Probably the best way to avoid it is to make sure the steering wheel is positioned at 12 o'clock high before turning the ignition off. That way there more than likely will be no pressure from the steering wheel lock. Easy peasy!

#7 ·
I'll give you one worse than that. Back in the late 80s, my then wife owned a '77 Chevy Malibu. On this one particular day, she tried to start it. She then told me it wouldn't start and she handed me the key. I got in and turned the key; it started up right away. I then turned off the engine and handed her the key. She got in and turned the key; again, it just cranked repeatedly but wouldn't start. She got out and I got in and it immediately started up for me again. She and I both kept our feet off the gas and did it exactly the same way.

#8 ·
I've only heard rumors of people with powers like yours, the car whisperers......

#9 ·
The best way yo avoid this is to buy the Exclaim with Whole Shabang and you will have "Pushbutton" start.
I never take the key fob out!! :Yay::racing2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.