Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my Soul serviced prior to a long road trip recently. They changed the oil, rotated tires, etc. When I returned from the trip after about 1,500 miles, I decided to see how dirty the oil looked. It wasn't bad, but I also noticed that the reading on the dipstick was about quarter inch over the full mark when the engine was cold. I had to drop the Soul back off to the dealer to replace a bent rim and asked them to check the oil because it looked too full.

Here's the strange (to me) part, the dealer said the oil level was fine. They insisted that when they change the oil, they run the engine and then immediately check the oil level (not waiting for oil to drain back into the pan). When they check the oil in this manner, it is correct and I wouldn't doubt it. However, I've always waited a few minutes after the engine is shutoff to check the oil level.

I'm going to note on the paperwork what I was told, but does anyone else have any thoughts on this manner of checking the oil level?

·
Registered
750 Posts
Your service tech knows the oil level being a bit high or low isn't going to harm anything, so he's feeding you a line to get you off his back. Wayyy too much oil can cause foaming and increase the formation of sludge, but I have found that even 1/4th of a quart will put you a quarter inch over full mark. 4 -3/4 quarts is full on mine. (but I run 5 anyway...).
If it bothers you a lot, just unscrew the filter and tip it to drain a cup out ( then screw it back on), and your level will be fine. changing the oil and adding 5 quarts will always end up being over the full mark on the 2.0L Soul. I don't know about the 1.6L... Oh, and your way of checking the oil is correct.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
The time to check your oil is when the engine is warm, allowing a few minutes for oil to run down. It should be at full on the dipstick. A quarter inch over full when cold seems a little high. The reason it shows over full when cold is ALL of the oil will NEVER drain out even if allowed to drain for days. Dealerships or quick lubes have time constraints, they just let it drain until it's slowly dripping and fill with the specified amount of oil. I wouldn't be too concerned, just mention it next time, they might watch it a little closer. The sad fact is though, if you want something like this done right you almost have to do it yourself.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The sad fact is though, if you want something like this done right you almost have to do it yourself.
Amen to that. If I hadn't been in a rush before heading out of town and needing to get the tires balanced/rotated anyway, I would have done the oil change myself as I have the last couple of times.

Thanks for the replies everyone. It doesn't sound like it's too big of a deal, but it was something I hadn't heard before. I'll be changing it myself next time.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Your service tech knows the oil level being a bit high or low isn't going to harm anything, so he's feeding you a line to get you off his back.
Exactly. You really really have to overfill it to the point that the crank shaft splashes into the oil sitting in pan to get it to foam up. High amounts of foam cause issues with viscosity and lubrication, as air is not a good lubricant.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Changing the oil on my 2.0L SX4 was a piece of cake. I'd buy a 5 Quart jug and pour it all into the engine and it would come up to the full marks on the dipstick.
However, upon reading the engine spec's on the 1.6L Soul, I see it only takes 4.49 quarts of oil. Now, how in heck am I supposed to measure that out? Eh?
Just kidding.... that too will be a piece of cake.

Fear not! I'll figger it out. .5 quarts is one pint, so the 1.6L engine should get one four quarts and one pint of oil. Then I'll leave a little room for 12oz of Prolong Engine Treatment. I gotta kill that ol' friction and keep the little engine running cool and smooth. :)

Cheers Mates!
TM :cool:

·
Registered
2,517 Posts

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Actually, there are only 2 reasons the oil would show higher than full when cold, assuming there's no defect such as an incorrect dipstick:

1. There's actually too much oil in the crankcase;
2. There's condensate in the oil.

Constant short-term driving will leave moisture in the oil that can provide a misreading, given enough of it. Ever notice that after a long drive on the interstate, say on a long trip, the oil looks a little low? That's because condensation has been burned off, leaving nothing but oil.

All ICE engines will consume some oil during normal operation. Overfilling reduces engine efficiency and can lead to an overpressurized engine, which can in extreme cases blow seals.

The best time to check the oil is about 10 minutes after a nice long drive, when there has been plenty of time to eliminate moisture. But it's not such an exact science that you need to be so exact; many engines can be run 50% low, or lower, without any damage. So long as the oil can hit the crank and there's enough to keep the oil pump pressurized, you're not likely to see any damage. I of course am not recommending letting your oil get low, because that's a dangerous game to play. Ideally you should check the oil at every fill-up, but I know hardly anyone bothers.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Remember the 'Good ol' days' when you'd pull into a service station and holler at the attendant, "Fill'er up and check the oil".
And the attendant would fill the gas tank, check the oil and wash your windshield.

But today, people pull into a Self Serve gas station, put in some gas and drive away. They never pop the hood, for any reason.
I do all my own inspections at home, not at a gas station.
I check the oil level, coolant level, windshield washer fluid level, and brake fluid level.

But how many drivers today ever do that?

:cool:

It's cheaper by the gallon.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
I check the oil level, coolant level, windshield washer fluid level, and brake fluid level.

But how many drivers today ever do that?
you might be surprised to know there are many that do >> even women b/c some of us have learned that you can't trust most of the men working at dealerships to do it even though they claim they did on the invoice :think

1 - 11 of 11 Posts