Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Occasionally I haul items from the nursery or hardware store in the back of my car. I don't have one of those dealer mfg or Weather-tek trays... NICE and over-priced. Has anyone come up with their own custom idea? Sometime I just need that space behind the rear seat and sometimes I wish I had a roll-out or extension "mat" to cover the seat back AND cargo area. Right now I usually use a big lawn/leaf bag to cover that "carpet" (and I use the term carpet loosely!)

·
Registered
58 Posts
I just keep an old comforter (we weren't using) folded up in the rear of my car. Whenever I lay the seats flat (such as when I put my golf clubs in the car) I simply flip open the blanket and "viola!" . . . I have a nice cushy, plaid blanket to protect the seats as well as my clubs. Later, when I return the seats to their upright position, I simply fold the blanket back again. Easy to keep clean as well.

·
Super Moderator
9,513 Posts
Occasionally I haul items from the nursery or hardware store in the back of my car. I don't have one of those dealer mfg or Weather-tek trays... NICE and over-priced. Has anyone come up with their own custom idea? Sometime I just need that space behind the rear seat and sometimes I wish I had a roll-out or extension "mat" to cover the seat back AND cargo area. Right now I usually use a big lawn/leaf bag to cover that "carpet" (and I use the term carpet loosely!)
I bought some moving blankets on line for a move a few years ago. I sold about half of them off but still have half a dozen. I also have the cargo tray cover but carry a blanket with me at all times. They take a beating and still shake out and look good. They also cover the entire rear with the seat folded down and up the sides of the compartment. For twelve bucks, can't beat them.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Look up conwelpic - he's got some kind of rubber mat setup that he made that lets his dog get up in there as well without scratching the bumper.

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,164 Posts
Look up conwelpic - he's got some kind of rubber mat setup that he made that lets his dog get up in there as well without scratching the bumper.
thanks, jd, but its not very good to use with the rear seats up (too bulky, but I suppose it might if you cut it), I have the proper cargo tray I got from the dealer (purchased it before I drove my car off the lot and worth every penny) but the OP doesn't want to spend that type of money.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I went over to a fabric store that sells all kinds of fabric, but also vinyl. I purchased a piece of cotton backed black vinyl, cut to 3'x8'. It pretty much covers the rear cargo area and the back seats when turned down. I fold it up into the cargo area, it's not very bulky. You can wipe it down or even put ArmorAll or something like that to clean it up. Best part, it was cheap as it was on sale, $6 bucks.
I think the place was JoAnne fabrics, they always have sales.

Reactions: Psuche

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have the same needs too, and I'm going to use my waterproof- backed dog "blanket" as it's 58"x72". Easily washable, and covers the back of the rear seats when down. Pet hair, also grime sticks to the fuzzy surface, with the (waterproof side down). Then roll up keeping the fuzzy side in, and replace in the stuff sack. Car interior stays clean... Or so I should think.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Another idea is a yoga mat. I purchased an oversized one and cut it to fit using household scissors. Those mats tend to be practically water proof and provide some natural stickem to help hold things in place.
Greg

1 - 11 of 11 Posts