Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if any of you might be in the know. What can be done to provide a smoother ride (change shocks etc...) and how will it affect handling. I like the way the Soul handles but find the ride a little jaring.
Anyone?

·
Registered
618 Posts
We will see what will be offered but if you go for something a little softer it will make the handling a little less precise but I doubt it would be anything you would notice with normal driving.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Stiffer ride = better handling. Softer ride = more comfort.

Mutually exclusive I'm afraid.

As noted an easy way to soften the ride is to change to the smaller rim, larger profile, tires. After that, it's softer springs and change the dampers.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Just an observation - the car feels much softer with passengers in the back. Not as "bouncy"
Get some girls in the back there, pronto!:D
Kris

·
Registered
31 Posts
Stiffer ride = better handling. Softer ride = more comfort.
fact.

i've driven the 15", 16" ,and 18". even with the 15-16 there's a noticable difference. the more low profile you go, and the wider the tire, the more you sacrifice ride quality.

also try checking your tire psi. the port sets tires to 45-50psi when they come into the country. some slip through the dealership without reseting them. that will give you a hella harsh ride.

·
Registered
838 Posts
what it appears to be is....

We will see what will be offered but if you go for something a little softer it will make the handling a little less precise but I doubt it would be anything you would notice with normal driving.
the spring rate. They are too stiff. I have the soul plus with the 16's and it rides great if you don't hit bumps or railroad tracks while going around a turn. It looses it's composure easily. On smooth roads though it rides very well. 18's must be way harsh. Supposedly kia will have suspension mods... could be better... or worse.

·
Registered
838 Posts
another view.....

All depends on what qualities you're looking for. Comfort or handling.

Low profile/high psi sacrifices comfort but improves handling.
It's a matter of balance. For me it's Z or W rated low profile 50 or 40 series tires running auto manufacturer recommended psi + 6 to 10 psi over. Lower spring rate, but fatter front and rear sway bars, plus strut brace. If you check Eibach they have spring rate choices. On my last car I had H&R progressive rate springs which were excellent.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts