Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
8,060 Posts
I took a shot that it might absorb into it and make less sticky, and it seems to have worked.. Since the dash is textured, I don't want to damage that with abrasives. I actually used my bowling powder, but intend to try a few different things to see what works best and lasts.
This guy talks about using sodium carbonate (in OxiClean) & says that worked for him. I've got a computer keyboard that has a built in handrest that turned sticky. I think I'll try some OxiClean on it. Nothing else has worked. I finally covered it with some saran wrap.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but I'm trying to figure out what to do with the sticky dash. My 2011+ is sticky all the way around the dash, not just the top. I've been trying to velcro my ipod to the bottom of the dash and it's sticky too. I'm assuming that it was a low-glare, non-slip feature from Kia, as it's uniform all over the dash, even to the underside.......

What kind of dash covers are you talking about?

·
Registered
916 Posts
The glue that is inside the factory dash disintegrates and migrates trough the pores out. You clean it only to get sticky again. Other Asian cars had that problem (Toyota, Lexus) too, my guess they don't account for the US temperatures. Never had this issue on my Fords.
A cover or a film is all you can do. Or a new dash - Toyota was sued for that:
Toyota and Lexus Melting Dashboard Lawsuit Filed, Again

More about this: How to fix your sticky/melting Dash it before it gets worse.
They have an innovative kit for Kia Soul: STICKY DASH FIX KIT - Kia Soul (2009 - 2013)

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
8,060 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
just got a 2011 Kia Soul from 1 person owner, and my dashboard is sticky too! You can see where dust and a rag where they tried to clean is stuck attached and some dirt but it’s sticky to the touch
You are not alone! I'm having the same problem, also a 2011. My 17 year old son just searched utube and found that 'Goo Gone' and a ScotchBright sponge should do the trick. My older daughter thought it was done on purpose to prevent things from sliding off the dash. I hope this helps, I can't begin to tell you what I've gone through to get this to you! Obviously older than the target market! 😝

·
Registered
608 Posts
This has always been a problem with Gen. 1 dashes. That German product listed above looks interesting....but not cheap. Has anyone tried it and wants to report back? I wonder if an epoxy paint might do the trick? I think an experienced body and paint shop might be able to tell you. Also, the strongest most effective stuff I've found for similar issues is Acetone. Strong stuff! However, I have NOT tried it myself on a dash. If the the glue inside the plastic is still breaking down and releasing into the air...then it might just be a non-stop problem. The more I think about it the more I like the idea of a flat epoxy paint. And a paint shop could probably do it without having to remove the entire dash.

·
Registered
✴️BING✴️ Toast's ready, pass the butter!
1,100 Posts
Reactions: eGAK009

·
Registered
552 Posts

·
Registered
✴️BING✴️ Toast's ready, pass the butter!
1,100 Posts
Dash covers exist because of the older cars, dashes were made of a thin and cheap plastic, you would see holes in dashes you could put a baseball in. Dashes these days are no comparison.
So dash covers exist because of older cars using thin, cheap materials...but yet they're sold online for modern cars? 🙄

·
Registered
2011 KIA Soul 1.6L
30 Posts
I got mine fixed by using a Magic eraser and a cleaner that has Oxi Clean in it. It takes a few times but after you're done, add a protectant. There is also a company in Austrailia that sells a sticky dash kit (I have one but haven't used it yet) that pretty much cleans the surface and uses a permanent coat (Similar to ceramic coats but maybe closer to a clear coat) but I do not know how long it would actually last or if the claims are true that it's permanent.

But so far with my 1st method, it lasted about 1.5-2 years before it got a little sticky. I think Lexus had the same issue and was a defect? But can't remember since it was 2 years ago when I read it.

41 - 60 of 60 Posts