Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
8,060 Posts
I also have a 2011 + and has been sticky since the day I got it new from the dealer. Seating in the sun makes it worse. Anyone have a good experience with a dash cover brand?
I've had this happen to some other plastic items, such as keyboard armrests. For some reason the plastic gets really sticky & nothing helps that I've found.

Car ID carries some nice dash covers.

https://www.carid.com/front-dash-covers.html?view=1234567&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIpIOc97f11QIVyIV-Ch1ccABcEAQYASABEgLIr_D_BwE

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Go to a yard goods store and find a material that you like, and then 'upholster' it.
If the dashboard is really that sticky, you probably wouldn't even need any glue. Think of it as doing a "Wrap" for the dashboard.
Depending on your own creativeness, it could turn out really GREAT!

My mother once upholstered a refrigerator when the original enamel got sticky and nasty.
You really DO have options! And if the plastic dash itself is getting soft and gooey, you're NOT going to clean it.

There's a guy on the TV show, "Fast and Loud" that upholstered a bicycle, every inch of it!

Good Luck with your sticky dash.

:cool:

·
Registered
552 Posts
I bet somewhere, sometime, someone
tried "Armorall" to clean it and make it shine!

And we know now, what happened next...

It is a sticky situation.

I only use clean water and a microfiber towel
to wipe down the dash, door panels, and other parts.
Fifty Two times each year.

·
Registered
8,060 Posts
I'm wondering if this is a problem engendered to Gen 1 Souls with a hard plastic dash? Does anyone with Gen 2 have this problem?

I've just been reading in a Toyota forum that Camry, 4Runner and actually many other Toyotas have had this sticky dash problem. Toyota ended up providing an Extended Warranty to original owners up to 10 years for a full dash replacement. Many folks however had to wait up to, and over, 1 year for the replacement dashes to show up at their dealer.

Toyota said the problem stems from excessive exposure to heat, which causes stickiness and cracking.

There are several "fixes" on YouTube, however they all seem to involve alot of "elbow grease" and some type of "remover" product. I can't imagine doing this to any soft surface dash, like what's in the Gen 2 Souls.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
I just picked up a 2011 Soul and gosh darn if it doesn't have a sticky dash! No chemicals so far seem to help it much! Probably going to look for a cover of some sort, any suggestions?
I'd consult an auto upholstery shop, to see if I could get a custom made cover for it. I know my mom could have done it, but I've never been that good with cloth. She once upholstered an old refrigerator. All I've ever done is to make custom arm rests for my Soul.

Fur Headband Headgear Textile Beige

My new arm rest for the driver side door.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Mode of transport Car seat cover

I highly recommend the padded arm rest, and the Seat Belt Extender....
the cup of coffee from Dunkin Donuts is optional.

On one of the cars shows, on TV, a guy totally upholstered a Trike.

Get creative! Take pictures! Post pic's here!

·
Registered
916 Posts
My dash on the 2011 ! was sticky too, from the first day. Probably the previous owner or the dealer wanted to clean it with the wrong product. I tried cleaning it with various things (soap, grease cutter), nothing worked.

·
Registered
8,060 Posts
no problems on my 2016 G2, and never had that problem on my 2012 G1 either.
It seems from this thread that it's more a problem of pre 2012 models. I keep thinking of that video that shows Kia's Death Valley testing grounds. They expose the car parts to excessive heat situations.

Hopefully they found the right "plastics" so sticky dashboards are a thing of the past.

Reactions: SoNic67

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
In five years of being outside 100% of the time, by little Gal don't got no sticky dash!
Sorry girls, she's as good as new!

But if she ever gets a sticky dash, I'll upholster her like an old favorite chair. It's simple, , , it's cheap, , , and it solves the problem. And I've got a whole bunch of that fabric left over from the arm rests.

happy thanksgiving bros

·
Registered
1 Posts
It seems from this thread that it's more a problem of pre 2012 models. I keep thinking of that video that shows Kia's Death Valley testing grounds. They expose the car parts to excessive heat situations.

Hopefully they found the right "plastics" so sticky dashboards are a thing of the past.
I bought my 2011 Soul new, right off the boat in LA. I was there when they took the plastic off and my dash has been sticky since day 1. I'll try googone again but I think I tried it already. I still love it - this has been my only issue in 9 years.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The 2011 I just bought for my daughter has a sticky dash. I treated a small, very sticky area at the edge by rubbing in talcum powder, waiting, then wiping off excess with damp cloth, which seems to have worked, so will try a slightly bigger area next to see if it really does the trick.

·
Registered
8,060 Posts
The 2011 I just bought for my daughter has a sticky dash. I treated a small, very sticky area at the edge by rubbing in talcum powder, waiting, then wiping off excess with damp cloth, which seems to have worked, so will try a slightly bigger area next to see if it really does the trick.
Welcome to the forum gs.

That's a great idea. I figured sticky dash was a terminal condition. Does the talc act as a scrubbing abrasive & actually remove the sticky? Or does it just absorb into it?

Please keep us posted on your results.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Welcome to the forum gs.

That's a great idea. I figured sticky dash was a terminal condition. Does the talc act as a scrubbing abrasive & actually remove the sticky? Or does it just absorb into it?

Please keep us posted on your results.

Thanks!
I took a shot that it might absorb into it and make less sticky, and it seems to have worked.. Since the dash is textured, I don't want to damage that with abrasives. I actually used my bowling powder, but intend to try a few different things to see what works best and lasts.

21 - 40 of 60 Posts