Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2010 Exclaim
8,085 Posts
I haven't and not heard of anyone else either. Have you tried mild soapy water and a soft cloth?

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,164 Posts
that's a first that I've come across. Maybe something got sprayed on it at some point.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've tried soap and water, a few mild cleaners but it doesn't seem to get any better. A detailer even tried automotive goo gone which helped fractionally but barely enough to notice.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Have you ever upholstered a dash board?
My mother covered an old refrigerator once, when it got sticky and nasty.

Back in the days of Van Conversions, upholstered dash boards were all the rage. I had one!

Just a thought!

·
Premium Member
4,959 Posts
Wpmclam, I checked back on your old messages and your car is a one previous owner car right? Did it come from a dealer or direct? I'm wondering if someone cleaned the dash with something that reacted badly with the plastic? This isn't something that I or seemingly others have heard of before. Is it the whole dash or certain areas?

·
Super Moderator
9,513 Posts
Wpmclam, I checked back on your old messages and your car is a one previous owner car right? Did it come from a dealer or direct? I'm wondering if someone cleaned the dash with something that reacted badly with the plastic? This isn't something that I or seemingly others have heard of before. Is it the whole dash or certain areas?
I know that pine oil on some plastic surfaces will make a sticky mess that cannot be cleaned up. All you can do is scrap it off best you can and put a dash cover on it. Bummer, I know but that is all I know to cure that problem (if it is that problem). BTW, don't ask how I know this.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It was this way when I got it. I don't know whether a previous owner or the dealership put it on buy it's resistant so far. I'm betting the previous owner though because they covered up dents with spray paint

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
9,513 Posts
It was this way when I got it. I don't know whether a previous owner or the dealership put it on buy it's resistant so far. I'm betting the previous owner though because they covered up dents with spray paint
Do you have any pictures of it? It sure sounds as if they tried to clean it using the wrong stuff. If that is the case only a body shop my be able to fix it. Otherwise, covering it up may be the easiest cure.

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,164 Posts
maybe they left the windows open when they were doing the spray paint and it got on the dash, solvents can effect some of that material.

·
Registered
2 Posts
You are not alone! I'm having the same problem, also a 2011. My 17 year old son just searched utube and found that 'Goo Gone' and a ScotchBright sponge should do the trick. My older daughter thought it was done on purpose to prevent things from sliding off the dash. I hope this helps, I can't begin to tell you what I've gone through to get this to you! Obviously older than the target market! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

·
Registered
92 Posts
My 2011 is the same way. It isn't sticky, per say, but definitely rubbery so it's hard to keep lint free. I want to cover it anyway so it won't cause glare in my windshield.

·
Registered
552 Posts
have you tried lacquer thinner? it removes everything; tree sap, road grime, road rubber and countless other stickies. If you use it don't let it set on plastic too long, rub it on, rub it off that quick. Check an out of eyesight area.

·
Registered
608 Posts
have you tried lacquer thinner? it removes everything; tree sap, road grime, road rubber and countless other stickies. If you use it don't let it set on plastic too long, rub it on, rub it off that quick. Check an out of eyesight area.
I've found that Acetone works even better, but obviously when using on something like plastic there will be a risk. I'd try a little in a corner someplace and be sure to wipe on and wipe off quickly. Or...you might consider buying an entire new dash from a salvage yard or Ebay.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,474 Posts
I have a Logitech keyboard with a palm rest that turned sticky over time. Checking online, it's a common problem with their keyboards with palm rests.

As mentioned above, Goo Gone was suggested. Has anybody tired that on the Soul dash yet? Any results?

Rubbing alcohol didn't seem to help, only made it worse.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I also have a semi-sticky, lint grabbing dash in my 2011 Soul. I don't know what could've caused it (I don't use any chemicals) it just seemed to develop over time. It does not at all feel like the dash is disintegrating, but if you press your finger firmly on the plastic there appears to be a thin layer that feels slightly tacky; however, it is not soft enough to capture an imprint of your finger.

@GeoSoul Goo Gone seemed like it was working but the dash was back tacky when the temperature rose. I live in South Florida and I park in a shaded area for reference.

Soap and water and vinegar was equally a failure.

I suppose the Scotch-Brite or acetone patch test is the next experiment. :(

1 - 20 of 56 Posts