Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry, couldn't get photos of how to while doing because of the need to use two hands to maintain tension.

I used parachute cord. Roughly 75 feet.

Laid out binding along inside of wheel and allowed 4 inches for extra tail.

Started each section using simple overhand knot pulled tight.

Made a wrap around wheel and going under binding, pull tight.

Next wrap goes around and over binding.

Alternate each wrap around wheel going over, under, over, under binding tail until the end.

Make an overhand knot and then tie a square knot. You may have to do one more wrap around to get the square knot to lay flat.

Cut tails close to knots and I used hot glue to seal knots to wrapping.

I then wrapped the hand brake and a few wraps on the gear shift.

Gives a nice textured grip!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice work. You opening a shop anytime soon?
Lol, nope. That cording is tough on the hands!

Will be interpretation to see how the wrapping holds up. Hopefully it doesn't loosen and start looking sloppy.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I like it, very nice!

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Not intending to put cold water on your effort, but, that cord looks like it would be hard on the hands.

Also, with that D shaped steering wheel, an off the shelf cover just might not fit well at all.

I had a GT for four days, and that steering wheel was one of my gripes.

My Soul LX has a normal Round wheel and a store bought cover works real well. I still have the one from my 2013 Soul.

Most steering wheels are pretty small and holding on to one for any length of time really makes my hands cramp and hurt.
So I buy the fattest wheel cover that I can get.

HamsterSkin.jpg

No, it's not Hamster skin, but it sure feels good on cold mornings.

Cheers

:cool:

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
Sorry, couldn't get photos of how to while doing because of the need to use two hands to maintain tension.

I used parachute cord. Roughly 75 feet.

Laid out binding along inside of wheel and allowed 4 inches for extra tail.

Started each section using simple overhand knot pulled tight.

Made a wrap around wheel and going under binding, pull tight.

Next wrap goes around and over binding.

Alternate each wrap around wheel going over, under, over, under binding tail until the end.

Make an overhand knot and then tie a square knot. You may have to do one more wrap around to get the square knot to lay flat.

Cut tails close to knots and I used hot glue to seal knots to wrapping.

I then wrapped the hand brake and a few wraps on the gear shift.

Gives a nice textured grip!

Well...should you ever need tow rope, you'll know where to find it!

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
I washed my old 'fuzzy' steering wheel cover and it lost all its elasticity. Arggg! So I stopped by an Advance Auto Parts Store and I picked up a new cover. It looks like short, black bear skin (fur). Looks good and goes with the rest of the Black and Tan interior. Feels great on the hands too!

If I can find some more of that Black Bear looking material, I want to make me an arm rest for the driver's side door,* and the center arm rest. I still have the patterns and most of the materials, left over from the arm rests I made for my 2013 Soul.
I just need new covering material. I don't want to use the same old Leopard Skin.

That pad for the left door, needs to be about 2+" thick, to raise my arm up high enough to be comfortable driving.

The designers of the 2020 Soul got the dimensions of the driver's seat all wrong for us big guys. Most Koreans are small guys!
But I'll eventually get it fixed right for me.
I had to do the same thing on my 2013, but once I got it adjusted right for me, it was GREAT. My passengers always loved the center arm rest, because it was wide enough for two people to use at the same time. My new one, will be no different.

Cheers Mates and Happy Trails,
PS: I've already got over 1750 miles on my new car.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not intending to put cold water on your effort, but, that cord looks like it would be hard on the hands.

Also, with that D shaped steering wheel, an off the shelf covu handser just might not fit well at all.
Actually the finished wrap is smooth to my hands but the actualwtapping was a bear. The way I have the tail tucked offers a nice angle to the grip that sits under my first knuckle joints.

I kind of liked the D shape. I drive with my seat almost vertical and fairly close to the wheel. The D gives leg room to exit.

Yeah I agree the arm rests are at odd heights and the door top is too tall.

Pretty sure the 2020 seats are smaller than the earlier Souls.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
I just hit 2000 miles today, and I'm really loving the Black Bear fur Steering Wheel Cover, that I picked up at the Advance Auto Parts store.

Did you get those seat covers at Advance Auto? I thought I saw some just like yours while I was there. ???

Cheers,
FLH :cool:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts