Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
977 Posts
In general, recalls are viable and required dealership fixes freely covered by manufacturers for 10 years since the first sale (in-service) date of the vehicle.

Greg

·
Registered
21 Posts
On the 29th is my scheduled date to go.
I would be hesitant to drive the vehicle until it's fixed and seriously reconsider driving it 2 hours to get it fixed. I had the steering fail on my 2014 last month, luckily I was in a parking lot and moving very slow. If your steering fails at speed, especially highway speed, it could be extremely dangerous as you will lose all directional control. I strongly encourage you to park the vehicle until it can be towed in for service.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Soul
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
That’s what I was hoping for but I’ve tried to get in touch with a few towing services and none would help me out about it. My city has never been that helpful. I thought about maybe finding a trailer to haul it on but no luck with that either

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello unfortunately I have an issue with my 2015 Kia soul. I noticed a bunch of knocking/rocking noises. I hear them when the car is in park turned on, When behind the steering wheel at the 3 and 9 position I can shake the steering wheel like almost barely with 2 fingers and it moves almost and inch or maybe more with ease.The actual wheel and tire doesn’t really spin until I get to the 6 position on the steering wheel. What could be causing the play in my steering wheel I assume that’s why I’m hearing the knocking noise occasionally when I hit a decent bump. Any ideas? Things that have been changed in the front end are the sway bar links and the lower control arm bearings
There is a recall for the a steering issue with the KIA Soul 2015. The connection from the steering wheel shaft loosens up where it attaches to the rack. It needs to be tightened, and then drill and tap a hole to put a set-screw to prevent it from happening again. I had it done on my previous KIA. Check with your local dealers.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I would call Kia dealership and ask if they will pay for towing too.

Alternately you can get the work done locally and fight with Kia to pay back the repair bill.

PS: Personally I have AAA that gives lower towing rates and I have also friend that has a heavy duty truck and a car platform...

·
Registered
2015 Kia Soul
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
Sorry for the late response but I got the recalls taken care of, however there is still a knock in my steering wheel. You hear it the loudest underneath the steering wheel near the pedals. You only really hear it when the car is running and in park and you slightly shake the steering wheel back and forth. Any ideas? It sounds too loud to be the coupler. Don’t know if it’s possible but if I could somehow record the issue, maybe someone could be of help

·
Registered
594 Posts
What did you wind up doing? Did you drive to the dealership or have the vehicle towed?

Sorry that the popping sound is still there. I know you prefer not having to go back to dealership again due to distance and time, but was the popping sound there when you drove off? Perhaps give them a call and tell them the issues still persists; since they just fixed it, they may be more inclined to give it another look and maybe try to remedy. Not preferable, but if it's bothersome enough...or worse, it's a safety issue that wasn't 100% corrected, you should definitely have it addressed by the dealer that supposedly fixed the issue.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Soul
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
What did you wind up doing? Did you drive to the dealership or have the vehicle towed?

Sorry that the popping sound is still there. I know you prefer not having to go back to dealership again due to distance and time, but was the popping sound there when you drove off? Perhaps give them a call and tell them the issues still persists; since they just fixed it, they may be more inclined to give it another look and maybe try to remedy. Not preferable, but if it's bothersome enough...or worse, it's a safety issue that wasn't 100% corrected, you should definitely have it addressed by the dealer that supposedly fixed the issue.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Soul
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I ended up driving super slow but I had someone follow me just in case. I couldn’t get anyone in my area to tow it up there. They gave me pictures of he recalls before and after. They even showed me where they had done the work and it all looks good. No play in the shaft or anything like that. They drilled a new one in and used some loc tite on it. With the 8 hours of me being in Clarksville, I was so excited to leave that I didn’t check for the knocking type sound. I did run it back by my mechanic and he said it sounds like a knuckle joint. He currently still has it at the shop. After seeing some videos it definitely seems like a coupler issue. Here is a link to a video this is the exact same thing my car is doing. Same motion and noise.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I've watched similar videos of other owners replacing the coupler. The part is probably relatively cheap...do you feel comfortable swapping it out on your own?

·
Registered
2015 Kia Soul
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I’ve even some people do it on their own but I’ve also seen where they end up having issues later that only a shop or the dealer can fix with a scan tool. I was hoping a local mechanic might be able to do it but I’m not sure they’d do something like that. I don’t trust myself enough to tear my steering wheel apart. I saw the part for like 8 dollars at my local part store

·
Registered
121 Posts
The only way you would need a scan tool is if the steering wheel got turned while unhooked. Lock the steering wheel in place with the seat belt.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I thought that part of this recall was that if the fix does not work that Kia would replace the entire pinion assembly or the steering gear assembly??

·
Registered
594 Posts
I thought that part of this recall was that if the fix does not work that Kia would replace the entire pinion assembly or the steering gear assembly??
I initially had the recalls done at my local dealer, but suspected they didn't do it right. Brought it to another dealer out of town that has a reputable service department. They took one look and confirmed my suspicions and replaced the entire rack.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Soul
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
My mechanic which I know is pretty reputable here, told me if I had any trouble with it to bring it back to him and he’d take a look. Just picked it up not to long ago and apparently he told me Kia either didn’t bother to mention it or didn’t realize it but my steering shaft looked horrible. He went over the work they had done and checked out the whole steering assembly and system, everything checked out. The rack and pinion looked good after the work they had done. He said the coupler looked alright but he said he’d go ahead and replace it just for good measures. So he had me order the two parts

21 - 35 of 35 Posts