Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Kia Soul
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello unfortunately I have an issue with my 2015 Kia soul. I noticed a bunch of knocking/rocking noises. I hear them when the car is in park turned on, When behind the steering wheel at the 3 and 9 position I can shake the steering wheel like almost barely with 2 fingers and it moves almost and inch or maybe more with ease.The actual wheel and tire doesn’t really spin until I get to the 6 position on the steering wheel. What could be causing the play in my steering wheel I assume that’s why I’m hearing the knocking noise occasionally when I hit a decent bump. Any ideas? Things that have been changed in the front end are the sway bar links and the lower control arm bearings

·
Registered
2014 Soul+ Bright Silver (Sterling Soul)
820 Posts
Hello unfortunately I have an issue with my 2015 Kia soul. I noticed a bunch of knocking/rocking noises. I hear them when the car is in park turned on, When behind the steering wheel at the 3 and 9 position I can shake the steering wheel like almost barely with 2 fingers and it moves almost and inch or maybe more with ease.The actual wheel and tire doesn’t really spin until I get to the 6 position on the steering wheel. What could be causing the play in my steering wheel I assume that’s why I’m hearing the knocking noise occasionally when I hit a decent bump. Any ideas? Things that have been changed in the front end are the sway bar links and the lower control arm bearings

Steering Coupler?

·
Registered
2015 Kia Soul
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
594 Posts
I wouldn’t be able to say for sure, I got the car used and it has 56,000 miles on it. Don’t know if the previous owner would’ve went and got it done or not. Is there a way I can check?
Yes. Log onto to Kia's owner website and type in your VIN to see if there any open recalls.

Also, if you got it from a local dealer and the previous owner got services done there, you can call the service dept and have them check the VIN to see if any records show up.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Soul
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well after doing as you did with the website I’ve learned that one recall had been completed and that’s the one with the accelerator pedal. It still has two incomplete ones and those are one being the steering issue and the other being something about the converter. My question is do I have to pay for them out of pocket or are they required to replace them for free?

·
Registered
594 Posts
OK. Hope your local dealer is a good one and that you can get those recalls scheduled and done soon. Hopefully it'll fix the popping sound of the steering wheel...not sure about the play issue though. But might as well mention it to them while you're there.

·
Registered
656 Posts
My question is do I have to pay for them out of pocket or are they required to replace them for free?
You will have to fix the steering anyway. It's dangerous and illegal to drive it with that much play.

I believe my local dealer of kias is at the Toyota dealer, they sell them at least
Just go on Kia website, they have listed their dealers based on zip code.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Well after doing as you did with the website I’ve learned that one recall had been completed and that’s the one with the accelerator pedal. It still has two incomplete ones and those are one being the steering issue and the other being something about the converter. My question is do I have to pay for them out of pocket or are they required to replace them for free?
If it’s a recall, it is on Kia’s check book. You should not be paying a cent.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Soul
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You will have to fix the steering anyway. It's dangerous and illegal to drive it with that much play.

Just go on Kia website, they have listed their dealers based on zip code.
Closest Kia dealer to me is Jackson, TN, and the play in the steering wheel is my biggest concern as of now. Having it looked at in about 30 minutes

·
Registered
2015 Kia Soul
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This.

@ZeFrostii0820 - Sorry I missed your question earlier about paying out of pocket.
[/QUIt
This.

@ZeFrostii0820 - Sorry I missed your question earlier about paying out of pocket.
Its all good, you helped me out greatly. To update the situation I did go to a mechanic and he checked over everything on the front of the car. Everything looked great and he looked into the recall himself and told me that would definitely fix the play in the steering and the noise. I also got a hold of Kia in Clarksville and they told me it would be 2 hours for both recalls. They also have to update my system as well with the computer. On the 29th is my scheduled date to go. I’ll inform you on how it turns out though. All the help was appreciated

·
Registered
2014 Soul+ Bright Silver (Sterling Soul)
820 Posts
Its all good, you helped me out greatly. To update the situation I did go to a mechanic and he checked over everything on the front of the car. Everything looked great and he looked into the recall himself and told me that would definitely fix the play in the steering and the noise. I also got a hold of Kia in Clarksville and they told me it would be 2 hours for both recalls. They also have to update my system as well with the computer. On the 29th is my scheduled date to go. I’ll inform you on how it turns out though. All the help was appreciated

So it's the steering coupler? 🤔

·
Registered
2015 Kia Soul
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You sure don't want that to let go while driving.
The good part is recall work is freeeee! :D
But you gotta take the car there and probably wait around. :cautious:
[/QUOTE
You sure don't want that to let go while driving.
The good part is recall work is freeeee! :D
But you gotta take the car there and probably wait around. :cautious:
I’ve got to drive 2 hours to get there, sit there for 2, and drive 2 more back 😔

1 - 20 of 35 Posts