Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Might as well start with a goofy one...
Our new 2020 KIA Soul LX is a manual, as we intend to 'flat' tow the car behind our motorhome. Plus my wife and I just like stick shifts.
Had the car for a week now, 400 miles, and so far I've not been able to lock the steering wheel - including with the key out of the ignition.
Now, that works for us - in fact it's good thing, as for RVer's successfully unlocking steering wheels to get ready to tow the car can be kind of sketchy.
But the fact that the steering wheel doesn't seem to lock - no matter what position the key is in - is only a good thing if that's the way KIA built the car. If it's just slow/hesitant to lock, and decides later to lock up as the car is being towed, I'll ruin a pair of tires, at a minimum.
To be honest I haven't wrenched the wheel hard back and forth, but turned it maybe a quarter turn left and right with no effect. If I missed something in the manual, I apologize in advance!
Cheers, Robert.

·
Registered
2012 Soul Plus. Automatic, 2.0 engine
320 Posts
Might as well start with a goofy one...
Our new 2020 KIA Soul LX is a manual, as we intend to 'flat' tow the car behind our motorhome. Plus my wife and I just like stick shifts.
Had the car for a week now, 400 miles, and so far I've not been able to lock the steering wheel - including with the key out of the ignition.
Now, that works for us - in fact it's good thing, as for RVer's successfully unlocking steering wheels to get ready to tow the car can be kind of sketchy.
But the fact that the steering wheel doesn't seem to lock - no matter what position the key is in - is only a good thing if that's the way KIA built the car. If it's just slow/hesitant to lock, and decides later to lock up as the car is being towed, I'll ruin a pair of tires, at a minimum.
To be honest I haven't wrenched the wheel hard back and forth, but turned it maybe a quarter turn left and right with no effect. If I missed something in the manual, I apologize in advance!
Cheers, Robert.
Robert you might want to repost this in the forum for 2020. Look for Gen three in the forum listing.This might be a feature of the newer Souls that I never heard about. This is Gen one here 2010 to 2013.

·
Registered
527 Posts
op, is the no lock after you put the key in? there is another thread on here about Soul as Toad/four down. don't remember what year. his owner's manual said insert key, roll forward then back but do not remove.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts