Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got one for the first time. Always had mixed feelings. Either their tacky and ugly or somehow hindered the overall driving experience.

I got one because my old cars steering wheel got discolored and worn down

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wanted a regular black one that I can throw in the washer when it gets dirty I'm posting from my blackberry in my soul. Ill try to put a pic up

·
Registered
8,359 Posts
why do you want one?......whats wrong with the feel of the standard leather wheel?......or is it that you have to drive with dirty hands and are trying to protect the car?.....

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Every car/truck I have owned I have used steering wheel wraps ( 30+ yrs )

Initially was cause of the HEAT here in Phoenix

Now I have gotten used to the thicker feel of the wheel ( I Also have huge hands )

When ever I get in a car with a standard wheel it feels too small now . . . .

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i got it to protect my wheel. my old hyundai accent had discoloration and a type of dry aged feeling.

anyways here's a pic of my wheel cover. just learned my blackberry stalls when trying to upload photos using opera mini

I didn't want a neoprene wheel cover. that material is a dirt/bacteria sponge. this one is very fabric like, still synthetic but washable and not neoprene. there's no designs just a nice feel. black

pepboys for ten bucks. good deal

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
why do you want one?......whats wrong with the feel of the standard leather wheel?......or is it that you have to drive with dirty hands and are trying to protect the car?.....
i also just learned oil and dirt from our hands will cause synthetic leather to discolor. it acts as a bleaching agent in an odd way

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I think they are fine. There are a ton of different varieties, and people have different reasons for using them. I used to use them when I was younger in my old cars because back in the day many steering wheels would develop cracks, or when they would have that perpetually-sticky feel. Eeeewww.

·
Registered
8,359 Posts
hmmmm....its amazing what you learn from a simple thread like this. The fabric one you have in the photo fits in well with the current wheel. We dont have the sun/heat problem in this country.....however it will prevent wear....several of my cars steering wheels have been worn smooth and slippy with age and use.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I know a few people that use steering-wheelcovers, like my wife. I agree the Sunfire's plastic steering wheel gets hot in the summer and slippy with sweaty hands.

Personally I hate them. I would rather ware gloves. My glove of choice, although not a driving glove is Mechanix Original-Vent-Glove .
On a side note I'm an agressive driver and grip the wheel firmly and these gloves have worn the leather steering wheel of my subaru down to the core :rolleyes:. Luckly I don't feel the need for them in Soul.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have used them for many years, I also have big hands and for me it improves my grip! What I like in todays market is all the diff styles to pick from, So if your in my shoes you get both a sure grip and a bit of added style of your choosing!!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have used them for many years, I also have big hands and for me it improves my grip! What I like in todays market is all the diff styles to pick from, So if your in my shoes you get both a sure grip and a bit of added style of your choosing!!
i love the thicker feel. feels like im in a race car.
what design is on yours if you dont mind sharing

·
Registered
110 Posts
Sorry the pic suks...but its a dimpled rubber with red accents, the rib in the black looks out of place but it there cuz I lined up the three red sections real nice and even, I soon found it to be a nice finger groove for quick steering, where Im at all my roads are twisty so in the end it works out for the best!

yup not my best pic...sorry bout that!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
oops i never posted my wheel cover. i just plum forgot about this thread i started. Well here's mine and i love it. It's fabric and not neoprene (yuck)

·
Registered
244 Posts
Here is what I've got for my Denim SE. The color is almost exact to body color. I had it made with the Ocean Blue part being perforated.. I absolutely love this wheelskin. Not being an advertisement, I can't tell you that it may or may not be found at www.Wheelskins.com (Yes, its pricey, but it is quality. My 96 Impala SS has one that is 10 years old with little wear.)

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Thanks for posting the pic. I think I'll spring for one of those if I can talk my son into putting it on as I don't have the patience. I'll go for the black non perforated one. Price seems reasonable to me.

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
Before the Soul, I had never used a wheel skin. But, my previous cars, the leather on the steering wheel got worn a lot.

So I ordered some seat covers for the Soul (never had or used them before either) off eBay.
They arrived, didn't like the seat covers but they came with the steering wheel cover and the shoulder strap for the seat belts. Threw away the seat covers but kept the wheel skin and shoulder straps. I don't have a pic to post here (now) but they are a sand color with black-grayish sides. My Soul is Vanilla Shake so it blends in.

·
Registered
139 Posts
IMO nothing is the best. I drove so many clients cars that had a cover that slides around the wheel, I don't want to take chances with handling... Plus, I love the leather in my hands...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts