Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother has a 2013 kia souI was purchasing from him he broke the key so it sat for a year. He replaced battery and power steering is out the dashboard lights are all on and radio is off what do I do, it was working fine before all of this

·
Registered
473 Posts
Where did it sit for a year?
Check to make sure you have a GOOD battery,then look for rodent/wire damage if it was left somewhere the little buggers can get to it and nest...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It sat in the parking lot of his condo. I checked the engine and wiring and it was a little dusty with some spider webs other than that it was fine. He just replaced the battery

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cranked right up was quiet just couldn't turn the wheel. Making no squealing noises but noticed radio wasnt working and all dash board lights are on

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
The steering is Electric, so it depends on wires, plugs, and a fuse. Any of those could be at fault. Check the fuse first, and then work downstream from there. Sounds completely fixable to me.

:cool:

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Bingo! System Fault Analysis strikes again.

Now, the big question....what short circuit took out the fuse?
It takes about 250 amps to POP a 125 amp fuse.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It has been sitting for a year and when battery was replaced and tried to start bam!

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Bam is right!
I used to test fuses for CAT, in their research center. We'd ramp up the current on a fuse till it either melted or popped.
To get one to go BANG, would take 200% to 300% of rated current.
The current rating on a fuse is the current it should carry all day. Not the current it takes to pop it. Just sayin'
Some of the tests I'd run involved currents of 200 to 2000 amps.

Cheers Mate!
FLH :cool:

·
Registered
555 Posts
I used to test fuses for CAT, in their research center. We'd ramp up the current on a fuse till it either melted or popped.
To get one to go BANG, would take 200% to 300% of rated current.
I always thought it would pop with a little over the rated number, but I only have experience replacing fuses once in a while. Interesting info.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Gonna go thru all wires to make sure they are all intact and the rest of the fuses tune up and oil change hopefully it will run good as new

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Stuff happens! When I picked up my brand new 2009 Suzuki SX4 from the dealer I got about six blocks before the car died and would not start. It was obvious to me, that the battery was dead. I called the dealer and they sent out a rescue. After a jump start, I drove the SX4 back to the dealership. They gave me a loaner to drive home. Five days later I got my new car back. They finally found the loose connector somewhere Under the battery, that was preventing the battery from charging.
NEW, does not always mean Perfect. We always hope it will, but.......

Happy Memorial Day

1 - 12 of 12 Posts