Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a set of steel rims to put winter tires on. I was wondering what the difference in weight is between the stock aluminum rims and the steel rims. I don't want to be putting any undue stress on the steering and suspension components.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I would think that if potholes, speed humps and the out of place curbs don't stress running gear the few pound difference in wheels makes absolutely no difference. Since dealerships mount various style rims on the same style/grade running gear the Soul must be designed to handle your changes in rims.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool, thanks.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Just be careful to center them correctly and carefully. They're probably lug-centric. Steelies with the correct bore diameter for the Soul are hard to come by.

·
Registered
531 Posts
My oem 18" alloy wheels seem way heavier than my 17" steel wheels but I have never weighed them.

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,164 Posts
it makes no difference to the suspension system as long as your steels are correct for the vehicle - steel wheels are still used on the base model (LX) here in Canada (and used to be in the US in 2015) and the suspension system as never been changed. Also many people use steel rims for snow tires.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
it makes no difference to the suspension system as long as your steels are correct for the vehicle - steel wheels are still used on the base model (LX) here in Canada (and used to be in the US in 2015) and the suspension system as never been changed. Also many people use steel rims for snow tires.
If I'd known that, I would have ordered a set for my winter tires from a Canadian dealership. The ones I bought from DTD are working out fine, but because they're lug-centric, installing them can be a bit tedious.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys!

While I'm at it, where have you guys found has TPMS sensors for a reasonable price? I'd rather not have to take the ones out of my aluminum rims. Also, does the tire shop have to program the new sensors to the car?

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Thanks guys!

While I'm at it, where have you guys found has TPMS sensors for a reasonable price? I'd rather not have to take the ones out of my aluminum rims. Also, does the tire shop have to program the new sensors to the car?
For my last Soul (2012), I bought them for $15.00 / each from this guy on eBay. They were still working fine when I traded the car in.

As for programming them, I bought my winter tires mounted and balanced from DTD and equipped with whatever TPMS they use in them. The car just recognized them, no programming required. You also don't have to do anything during the seasonal tire swap. I don't know how many sensors it remembers, but I know that it's at least eight.

By the way, if you haven't purchased winter tires yet, I'm liking the studded Hankook Winter I-Pike W419's I bought from DTD more and more with each passing snowstorm. I did a little video of a test drive and uploaded it here, but we got more snow since then. The tires work great on snow or ice and are a very good match for the car.

Rich

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks! I didn't realize it was that simple.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Funny story, I put in second hand aftermarket wheels for winter. The TPMS light never came up. Been riding for more than a month now. On my Optima, the light came up within 5 minutes and blinks for a few seconds every time I start the car.

·
Registered
2014 KIA SOUL Plus
156 Posts
Amazon has 16 inch replacements for $49. I saw 17 inchers for $50.
Worked great for me this winter:
CIMG3216.jpg
I used spray wax to make cleaning easy.
CIMG3295 (1).jpg

1 - 14 of 14 Posts