Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to take the hub caps off my base and just run with the black rims.
Is this safe for the hubs/bearings? Should the be covered, if so does any one know where to get a center cap that will fit?

Thank you for your ideas.

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,156 Posts
hub caps are strictly cosmetic, nothing more. Many have sprayed their hub caps with Plasti-dip and been satisfied with the results.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I really don't like the look of most aftermarket hubcaps. I like the look of the black steel rims with the chrome lugnuts.
My concerns was that hubs would be "directly" exposed to the elements.

·
Registered
15,156 Posts
I really don't like the look of most aftermarket hubcaps. I like the look of the black steel rims with the chrome lugnuts.
don't worry about that most people here drive around all winter (usually from November to April, or longer in some cases) with steel rims as they have snow tires on them and don't bother with hub-caps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
If you want to dress it up, a lot of VW owners paint their steelies.

I currently have my hubcaps off 'cause they're ugly as hell and I decided I don't want to upgrade to the OEM 18s I got. I'd much rather see black steelies than cheap plastic covers.

·
Registered
15,156 Posts
If you want to dress it up, a lot of VW owners paint their steelies.

I currently have my hubcaps off 'cause they're ugly as hell and I decided I don't want to upgrade to the OEM 18s I got. I'd much rather see black steelies than cheap plastic covers.
there is upgrade 16" ;)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Keep in mind that the black paint on the steelies tarnishes rather quickly and is extremely difficult to shine back up. I started out exactly where you are now and the tarnished steelies eventually irritated me to the point of getting factory 18"s to swap out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Personally, I can't justify the additional cost of 16s at the moment. I'll get new 15 inch wheels to use with my current tires that only have 3000 miles on them.

However, if you're stuck with steelies, there are some things you can do to make them less blah. It isn't a permanent solution but it's better than nothing.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Hit them with Plasti-dip, then when your current tires wear out, upgrade your wheels to 16" with tires to match.

Keep the 15" rims for winter driving, or sell them to some Canuck who wants them for the same purpose.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I actually took my winter, black steel rims, and painted them myself w Tremclad "Fire Red". They look pretty slick, and are almost a dead match for the Molten red, but really need a coat of clear gloss sealant to make them pop.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I just bought a set of hub caps to cover my winter steelies. It seemed like the cheapest solution, I really don't like the black steel wheels look. They had all sorts of options for different hub caps.

·
Premium Member
2017 KIA Soul base, Titanium. Bought some better taars.
2,618 Posts
Keep in mind that the black paint on the steelies tarnishes rather quickly and is extremely difficult to shine back up. I started out exactly where you are now and the tarnished steelies eventually irritated me to the point of getting factory 18"s to swap out.
That paint is definitly lightweight. My car was built in July and I bought it in September. The black steelies already had fade areas from the wheel covers when I removed the WC and put chrome trim (aka "beauty" though I don't consider them beautiful) rings on. IMO look good with the chrome lug nuts. Now if I could just find some cop center caps that would fit...

Meanwhile, for winter I put the wheel covers back on.

I actually took my winter, black steel rims, and painted them myself w Tremclad "Fire Red". They look pretty slick, and are almost a dead match for the Molten red, but really need a coat of clear gloss sealant to make them pop.
They need a coat of something, that's fershur.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I put small blind spot mirrors on the rears. They cover the hubs perfectly. I'm still trying to figure out something for the fronts.

I have been looking at Ford Ranger center caps. They are chrome and clamp onto the lug nuts. When I get some, I will let you know how they look.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts