Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Grome said: "and gave the starter a few little taps with my flashlight, like that would help."

Actually...sometimes that DOES help!
The brushes get hung up in the starter from carbon dust buildup and a "few taps" jars them loose and back into proper position against the starters armature.
You've performed an age-old mechanics trick know it or not.
It's been known to work on alternators and fuel pumps as well.
Yeah I heard that that's why I gave it a few raps on the housing of the starter. May have helped I dunno, just happy it started again.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
For what its worth, I have noticed my car has a hard time starting ( and idles rough), after sitting overnight, when I have done a quick start and shut her back off without a "warm up". Since there are 3 cars in my driveway, I often have to move mine out of the way so that my son or my wife can get their cars out. When I fire it up and move it over or move to the street, I typically just fire it up....pull it out... and shut her back off. Well, she doesn't like that the next morning. When I start the next morning, it cranks longer and then idles rough. Once it even threw a misfire code. After revving it up and clearing it out, it runs fine.
I figure it has something to do with the rich mixture when in open loop at start up, and then being shut back off too soon. I try to remember to let it idles a few minutes (3-4 works fine)before shutting it back off and the problem never happens if I do this. It only (and often) does it when I "start it....throw it in gear...move to street...and shut it back off".
Sounds to me like the OP had a bad battery at first, then found himself with the weird "rich starting issue" I have seen over the years. And BTW, when it happens, it does help to give it a little gas, reminiscent of the old carbureted cars.
Yeah, that was what I was trying to describe about the short start that I gave it, didn't let it run or idle for a while. I suspected that because I experienced the same thing with one of my other cars, a Suzuki XL7. Glad I'm not the only one who noticed this.

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
Yeah I heard that that's why I gave it a few raps on the housing of the starter. May have helped I dunno, just happy it started again.
If that's what it took to get it started you may be due for a starter replacement or it could simply be extreme Chicago temps messing with your car.
Low temps and a little moisture could be just enough to hang up the starter brushes as a 2013 should probably not require a new starter.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Yeah, it's something about running the new engines more aggressively leaner during warming-up period. At that time, there is no feed-back loop for gas-air ratio, just tables stored in the PCM memory.

·
Registered
11 Posts
hello everyone

i went through this thread a couple of times did the op ever determine what the issue was? was it the battery or starter?

mine is doing the same thing 2013 kia soul 2.0l engine.

while the price to fix either is about the same (minus labor for the starter) i am not sure i have the ability to get the starter taken care of, but i sure will try first don't seem hard but i've learned that lesson just because it don't seem hard don't mean you won't run into a load of problems. the battery is quick and easy to swap out but i don't have money to just spend on anything.

going to take the battery to get tested today and see what they say, its about 2-3 years old so it still has a warranty i just think its out of its free replacement warranty.

seems odd to me that no issues what so ever then one day out of nowhere it pops up. but for the most part i can say i am lucky almost every time a vehicle has left me stranded its been at my house. with two spare vehicles i can take my time to get this fixed if needed and if i do it myself given my limited time i can do physical work before it gets to me although with the cool temps here in florida its easier to spend more time out there.

so my days off this week which i wanted to relax with been doing a lot of movie and such on my days off 2 hour drive there and back taken up a lot of my time but oh well.

guess my first project is to get my van running since that fix should be simple and 30-45 mins if that, its just replacing the wiper motor old one already removed just waiting for the new one to be installed, then i can run it anytime since it will have working wipers, that will take a bit of worry away from being down to just my jeep (which has its own issues just not ones that keep it from driving).

then i will work on the kia, if its the starter then i have to determine if i want to take it somewhere to get fixed but since it don't start i have a towing charge for that or use up my only towing option on AAA. i can't get underneath the kia on the ground as is, i am way to big for that i have ramps but since it won't start i can't drive it up them so its trying to figure out if i can raise it enough to get the ramps under the tire.

but i guess we'll start with the battery have it tested, could always put my battery from the jeep in there and see if it starts, shouldn't be an issue would it, i think the jeeps battery has more power than the one in the kia i could not drive with it in there as its too big for the spot the kia's is in and of course the van's battery is even bigger(surprised thats working strong still i've had the van 3 years and that battery was in it when i bought it).

i get the feeling i'll be on here often looking for advice and such given my kia is 6 years old and its out of the basic warranty seems like everything is starting to fail on it. just had to get the steering coupler fixed as kia wouldn't fix their premature failing part. and i get the feeling all the basic repairs with the kia will be much harder than similar repairs on my van or jeep.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
6,432 Posts
Best of luck rgs!

I wouldn't be too negative yet about your Soul. 6 years on a battery, especially factory, isn't bad. I'm on year 5 and it's testing out regularly at 50% state-of-health. Time to replace.

Starters don't last forever, and if this is all the problems you've had (you didn't mention the mileage), I'd say you're doing pretty dang good.

Remember that the Soul regularly beats out many cars for reliability & quality. My 2014 has had zero problems so far. I'm impressed!

This guy replaced his starter on a 2012:

·
Registered
11 Posts
i didn't look at that video but it looks like the one i watched where he goes in from the top.

well it was not the stock battery i had replaced the battery in 2017 so i got about 3-4 years on it, the replacement about a year and a half but its still in the free replacement period.

so i am hoping thats the problem and nothing else. i'll find out in a day or so after i replace the battery.

ryan

·
Registered
11 Posts
well took the battery to autozone tuesday.

he hooked up the tester and immediately said the battery was bad but it appeared to still be under walmarts warranty.

i found a volt meter so i tested the batter it was something like 6.5 volts instead of the roughly 12volts it should have.

took it to walmart today and they said the battery just needed to be charged up that it was good. they said they would charge it and retest it.

they called me and left a message stating my battery was all ready.

so i was prepared to go in and get my battery and test it with my meter and return with it.

however when i got there he said it was bad and they did the replacement (it was only half of the way threw its free replacement period).

got home put it in the kia and the vehicle started up with no problem.

my biggest problem was getting the bolts back in behind the battery that holds down the vehicles computer such a stupid design. something that should have been a few minutes took about 20.

but its all good now. it started i put it in reverse and drive all seems good. going to use it in the morning to take an animal to be spade then i have to work on my van get the wiper motor install and i'll be back up to 3 working vehicles that can be driven at any time.

ryan

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi gang, almost a year since I've owned my 2013 Kia Soul. I posted about a starting problem before, found out it was loose battery connections.

Now, after sitting a couple days since the temps warmed up in the Midwest from the 20s to the 40s, almost 50 degrees, now it won't start. I checked the battery connections again, they were tight. This time, I sanded the spot where the grounding wire is screwed onto the body from the negative battery post, and it was sparking a little when I reconnected it, and it seemed all the accessory lights and bells and whistles went on, but still no start.

When I try to crank it, I don't know if it's a click but I hear like two knocks and no start, but the dashboard lights and all accessory lights are on. When I try to switch on the headlights, they will not go on, is that just because the car is not running?

I know there are tons of posts on this forum about starting problems, but I was hoping for a quick answer while I research around. Thanks in advance.
Did you ever find out why my 2013 Kia Soul just started doing the same thing. I had alternator and battery tested before it started the nonsense it is doing currently. They told me my alternator was fine but battery was full but it was goin bad. So i went a couple days ago got a oil change. And car cranked but my tire light and wheel lock where flashing. Weird. So I cut car off tried to restart got nothing. So I had Walmart jump me off it was fine came home. I left maybe three hrs later for food. I arrived and as soon as I was turning in everyone of my light on the dash where on my wheel locked up lights in car where dimming our so I parked and it slow was shutting of went to hit the gas see if I could keep it alive. But notice the gages where not responsive to the gas. So I cut it off. Took a sec and gages went down. Tried starting car everything on no start though. A guy jumped the car. But when I disconnected all the dash lights where on and car shut off. Got another jump it lasted til Walmart and same thing happened dash light and car goes. So I replaced the battery everything was fine I was leaving out of town. Couple nights ago made it 35 miles out in the rain. My wipes where moving slow. I’m like ok what’s that then boom all my light in dash pop on wheel locks on me almost I made it to a exit and it wouldn’t shut on waited a few hr cop comes jumps me but leaves smh I’m in car with all dash lights on car stuck gears won’t move. So I wait to get towed home. And I’ve been trying to see the issue hate to buy a alternator and that doesn’t work specially since I was told my alternator was fine but my new battery needs charging. A alternator is supposed to charge the battery one of its jobs. So if it’s good the new battery shouldn’t need a charge. This Kia is giving me the blues. Any help on this issue is greatly appreciated

41 - 53 of 53 Posts