Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi gang, almost a year since I've owned my 2013 Kia Soul. I posted about a starting problem before, found out it was loose battery connections.

Now, after sitting a couple days since the temps warmed up in the Midwest from the 20s to the 40s, almost 50 degrees, now it won't start. I checked the battery connections again, they were tight. This time, I sanded the spot where the grounding wire is screwed onto the body from the negative battery post, and it was sparking a little when I reconnected it, and it seemed all the accessory lights and bells and whistles went on, but still no start.

When I try to crank it, I don't know if it's a click but I hear like two knocks and no start, but the dashboard lights and all accessory lights are on. When I try to switch on the headlights, they will not go on, is that just because the car is not running?

I know there are tons of posts on this forum about starting problems, but I was hoping for a quick answer while I research around. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Keep sanding.....you ain't done yet. There's another one on the passenger side, that actually grounds the starter to the car's body.
That little cable on the strut tower next to the battery, is only one of TWO that provide a ground to the starter.
I just bypassed all that Mickey Mouse crap with a single Battery Cable from the NEG terminal on the Battery to the Engine Block.

Keep reading!!!! I've posted pictures several times of the FIX for your problem.

If you can get it to Florida, I'll fix it for you! I help my neighbors with battery and starting problems all the time.

Happy Motoring!

FL Hamster :cool:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like a bad battery; unless you just replaced it, I'd start there and replace it.

Greg
He probably has the original (5 year old) battery.
I think you're right. I'm seeing pics of Soul's with original batteries and mine looks to have the original based on the label. Funny I don't see a date code on it like you normally see on batteries. I hope that's the only issue, but real weird how it was used a couple of days ago with no issues and just because the temp changed drastically that may have broke the straw so to speak. But I'm looking at FL Hamster's posts too in case changing the battery didn't help, have a lot to go through ;) Thanks for the quick replies.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I think you're right. I'm seeing pics of Soul's with original batteries and mine looks to have the original based on the label. Funny I don't see a date code on it like you normally see on batteries. I hope that's the only issue, but real weird how it was used a couple of days ago with no issues and just because the temp changed drastically that may have broke the straw so to speak. But I'm looking at FL Hamster's posts too in case changing the battery didn't help, have a lot to go through ;) Thanks for the quick replies.
99.99% chance a new battery will fix yours. Good luck and let us know!!!
Greg

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Keep sanding.....you ain't done yet. There's another one on the passenger side, that actually grounds the starter to the car's body.
That little cable on the strut tower next to the battery, is only one of TWO that provide a ground to the starter.
I just bypassed all that Mickey Mouse crap with a single Battery Cable from the NEG terminal on the Battery to the Engine Block.

Keep reading!!!! I've posted pictures several times of the FIX for your problem.

If you can get it to Florida, I'll fix it for you! I help my neighbors with battery and starting problems all the time.

Happy Motoring!

FL Hamster :cool:
Hey FLHamster,

I found your post regarding grounding so I'm cross-referencing it here so I don't have to search through your hundreds of posts again ;)

http://www.kiasoulforums.com/177-aftermarket-modifications/99913-big-three-wiring-upgrade-2.html#post1136657

Anyhow, thanks for the very helpful information. Like the other guys who responded, I'm going to start with replacing the battery as I think it's the original one, with the long white label going across the entire top of the battery, though I thought it was very strong but the temp swing from the 20's to the high 40's here in Illinois may have made it go kaput. I know in one of my other cars when an old battery, meaning 4-5 years old, experiences a big temperature swing going from winter to spring or vice-versa, I've needed to replace it. I will also grab a grounding wire to make that third ground as well as sand off the paint on the ground strap at the passenger post.

However, I'm concerned when I sanded the paint off where the ground wire connects to the driver side shock tower, there were a few sparks in the process of re-tightening it, you could literally here the grounding as I was tightening the screw, and all the bells and whistles went on, even my rear lights but not my front head lights. You think something got affected electrically? It does seem the car has poor grounding because in the winter when I drive it and then get out of the car and touch something grounded like my door knob or light switch, I end up discharging the charges that built up in my body (and nylon winter jacket) while sitting in the car and get a little nice wake up static shock. (In a gas station I grab the door and ground my foot so hopefully no chance of doing that at the pump.)

Btw on a couple side notes I noticed you had a 2013 1.6L, I thought 2012's and up had only the 2.0L engine, or do you have a manual tranny that came with the 1.6? Also, in the search of your posts, I noticed you said you were previously from Central IL, well I'm back up north just outside of Chicago after living in Orlando for 15 years. We could have been neighbors in FL, lol.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I plan to buy a Walmart Everstart battery, not only are they less expensive than the overpriced ones at Autozone and Interstate, but I've had some great luck with them since I've moved back up north with my other cars. Any objections in the case with a Kia Soul?

·
Registered
596 Posts
I plan to buy a Walmart Everstart battery, not only are they less expensive than the overpriced ones at Autozone and Interstate, but I've had some great luck with them since I've moved back up north with my other cars. Any objections in the case with a Kia Soul?
Ask them to test the battery and the ground in your car if you're curious about their condition.

If the battery's dead you can sand a hole in the fender and it's not gonna start the car.

Save yourself some grief, a bad battery will never fail to leave you stranded at 2:00am on a Sunday night 50 miles from home when the temp. is 20 degrees.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I've had one running for a few years now, no issues. My wife's optima and Ford escape also have everstarts.

·
Registered
2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
14,975 Posts
However, I'm concerned when I sanded the paint off where the ground wire connects to the driver side shock tower, there were a few sparks in the process of re-tightening it, you could literally here the grounding as I was tightening the screw, and all the bells and whistles went on, even my rear lights but not my front head lights. You think something got affected electrically?
possibly, you do not do anything with grounding till you disconnect the battery first

It does seem the car has poor grounding because in the winter when I drive it and then get out of the car and touch something grounded like my door knob or light switch, I end up discharging the charges that built up in my body (and nylon winter jacket) while sitting in the car and get a little nice wake up static shock. (In a gas station I grab the door and ground my foot so hopefully no chance of doing that at the pump.)
that does not indicate poor grounding on any vehicle, it's the conditions at the time that are creating the static electricity (weather, clothes, heat, dry air, etc). Something similar can also happen in a house too.

I thought 2012's and up had only the 2.0L engine, or do you have a manual tranny that came with the 1.6?
the 1.6L engine is still available on 2018 models and comes in a manual or automatic version. 2012 was the first year they introduced the 6-speed transmission to the Soul.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I just picked up the Everstart Maxx 121R which is what the Walmart battery finder said was for my 2013, and found it had 600 CCA, while the original battery is 550 CCA. Hopefully the extra 50 CCA's is not an issue but everything seems back to normal again, started up great, no noticeable issues with accessories or dash lights. :encouragement:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Please stop with the ground BS. None of this has to do with grounding or the ground strap. Disregard anything that FLHamster says. He's old and out of touch.

Replace the battery and stop being a cheapskate trying to get a 5th or sixth year out of that old battery. Geez.
I did get a new battery, and no, I wasn't trying to cheap out as that was what I was going to do first anyways, get a new battery and move on from there if there were further problems. As far as the grounding, I've had cars with grounding issues that caused problems even with a good battery. When I bought the Soul used about a year ago I figured that's one of the first things they would at least change, but apparently not, still had the original factory battery, so I'm happy it was only a battery issue.

But I take into account everyone's input, and it's up to me to make the informed decision based on what info people offered up. No need to get on FLHamster, he's trying to be helpful and I still find his posts helpful. As a member of more than one auto forum, there's always at least one guy who at least takes the time to read and offer up advice whether or not it's needed, those type of members should be appreciated. Then there's others who only post when they want info, and when they get the info they need to help solve the problem they don't even follow up and say what the resolution was for the benefit of others. I haven't been a member of this forum long, but I appreciate everyone's input, even if it was as easy as get a new battery.

Btw, we all will get old eventually, God willing we are blessed to live that long, and being in or out of touch is relative. :friendly_wink: Peace.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ask them to test the battery and the ground in your car if you're curious about their condition.

If the battery's dead you can sand a hole in the fender and it's not gonna start the car.

Save yourself some grief, a bad battery will never fail to leave you stranded at 2:00am on a Sunday night 50 miles from home when the temp. is 20 degrees.
Had them test the old battery and it did have a bad cell.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Not that I'm defending him, but there is some validity in paint between contact surfaces contributing to improper grounding or non-conductance. I did find that strange myself when I checked the grounding straps a while back even before I saw FLHamster's post. I appreciate your earlier input as well Neil. Peace brother.
I'm sure KIA engineers know how to ground a cars electrical system. I wouldn't worry about it. You might find the ground strap on your engine got a little loose from the constant vibration but it's not as if every car on the road has a faulty ground and needs retrofit. ☮

·
Registered
2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
14,975 Posts
I'm sure KIA engineers know how to ground a cars electrical system. I wouldn't worry about it. You might find the ground strap on your engine got a little loose from the constant vibration but it's not as if every car on the road has a faulty ground and needs retrofit. ☮
I agree, like any vehicle, corrosion can effect any ground over time so appropriate measure maybe required. I did not encounter any problems with my 2012 model with regards grounding in my 4.5 years of ownership and 5 southern Ontario winters. However, I did find that on my 2016 model that there is more grounding points of the various electrical wires than on my 2012 model.

·
Registered
2015 Base AT (1.6) Dirty Asphalt color ("titanium")
651 Posts
Well I just picked up the Everstart Maxx 121R which is what the Walmart battery finder said was for my 2013, and found it had 600 CCA, while the original battery is 550 CCA. Hopefully the extra 50 CCA's is not an issue
An extra 50 CCA is good. So long as it mechanically fits, and has at least as big a rating as the OEM, it should be great. 5 years is about how long they last. Sometimes you'll get lucky and they'll last longer, but it's not something you can count on.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well guys, I'm sad to say my Soul wouldn't start again this morning for my wife after I started it successfully twice yesterday. As you know I replaced the battery yesterday, and now it's showing all dash lights on again, but not turning over. I'm going to head home for lunch and see what's going on and will let you know. I'm now concerned there's an electrical problem. I'm going to try and disconnect the negative and reconnect and see if it resets everything and starts up again. Will let you know what I find. I'll search more threads but any suggestions based on this is appreciated. TIA

·
Registered
869 Posts
Well guys, I'm sad to say my Soul wouldn't start again this morning for my wife after I started it successfully twice yesterday. As you know I replaced the battery yesterday, and now it's showing all dash lights on again, but not turning over. I'm going to head home for lunch and see what's going on and will let you know. I'm now concerned there's an electrical problem. I'm going to try and disconnect the negative and reconnect and see if it resets everything and starts up again. Will let you know what I find. I'll search more threads but any suggestions based on this is appreciated. TIA
I'd rule out the alternator next but do check the new battery to make sure it's "healthy" just in case. You could also start the car and then disconnect the battery to see if she still runs (to help check the alternator).
Greg

1 - 20 of 53 Posts