Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stopped by the brand-spanking-new Kia dealership yesterday to see what they had on the lot and checking for any news on Ignition Orange release dates. They had 7 or 8 Souls on the lot still wrapped in thier shipping finery, including a Denim SE. This dealership JUST got these cars in and hadn't even picked up thier Dealership License from the State yet - in fact, the first salesman I spoke to was there for an interview and was not an employee, yet.

Here's the catch: The window stickers on the + versions included a $95 charge for floor mats. The brochure states the mats are standard in all but the Base. Did something change? They were including charges for the Cargo Net, Cargo Cover ($50 each) and, in some cases, the HomeLink Mirror (at $250). I had thought these were dealer-installed options but they seem to have been shipped this way.

So, what gives? Is the brochure I have wrong? Did they change what they include with a +? Are the dealers able to order certain options now where they used to just be able to reserve what was already produced? I clearly knew more about the car than the people I talked to and they had no real answers, but now we're all confused. Well, I'm confused; they just think I'm a crackpot.

·
Registered
67 Posts
The very first Soul I test drove had a red internal lighting kit installed. Never saw one since. In fact, they don't even have that color available in the states at this point. There is a good chance that the dealership special ordered some of the Souls with more options to amek them more attractive to potential customers. If you don't want the options, tell them to take them out. If they want your business, they will do it for you.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Well the Moonroof is supposed to be 'optional' on the Sport, but it isnt.. Kia told me directly it is impossible to manufacture a sport without a sunroof.. then they charge you $700 extra..

The KIA.com website shows mats being optional in the base and the +

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The very first Soul I test drove had a red internal lighting kit installed. Never saw one since. In fact, they don't even have that color available in the states at this point. There is a good chance that the dealership special ordered some of the Souls with more options to amek them more attractive to potential customers. If you don't want the options, tell them to take them out. If they want your business, they will do it for you.
This is a dealership that is so new to Kia that I doubt they had the chance to order anything special, but then I don't really know anything about the industry, either. If I were to buy from them I would certainly bring this into the deal.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Well the Moonroof is supposed to be 'optional' on the Sport, but it isnt.. Kia told me directly it is impossible to manufacture a sport without a sunroof.. then they charge you $700 extra..

I've noticed a few changes in the lists since I started watching this car. My hardcopy brochure shows the mats standard in the +. When I first started looking at the car last spring, the only options availble on the website were the audio and monroof packs. Now, the moonroof is gone and the cargo accessories, mats and mirrors are listed. It seems they are treating the options list as a dynamic thing, and now it's going to be more difficult to get the car I had in mind without the crap I don't want.

Does this mean I can no longer get the moonroof and fogs on a +? I've been waiting for the Ignition + to be released, but this will change my plans. A closer look at the website shows that in "Build The Soul" they don't list the sunroof or fogs, but the "Features and Options" listing shows it as optional. This sort of disparity in information makes it very difficult to know what you're buying and what it should cost.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I have noticed alot of inconsistencies in their infomation and pricing... where did you see where all + should come with floor mats, get this material to me ASAP and ill have my dealership give me a set!!!

thanks!!!

·
Registered
76 Posts

Same thing happened to me. Dealer said it was an option, but they couldn't order a sport without it... I doubted them and had to have the car heh, but glad to hear kia said that also.

·
Registered
67 Posts
This is a dealership that is so new to Kia that I doubt they had the chance to order anything special, but then I don't really know anything about the industry, either. If I were to buy from them I would certainly bring this into the deal.
Just because the salesmen are clueless doesn't mean the owner is. Then again, may be he is. Maybe he picked up a catalog of parts and then did a bunch of special orders. That being said, someone ordered the Souls like taht for a reason and to be honest, there is nothing stating that a dealership HAS to sell any vehicle a specific way.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I also saw that Kia's website changed a little bit when trying to design a SOUL.:eek:

·
Banned
288 Posts
My brochure says floor mats are optional. And I paid the $95 for them, but for some reason they had the Sport mats in my + (red lettering vs. regular lettering).

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have noticed alot of inconsistencies in their infomation and pricing... where did you see where all + should come with floor mats, get this material to me ASAP and ill have my dealership give me a set!!!

thanks!!!
Ask and you shall receive. I can't find a date of publication on the brochure, nor any disclaimer that things may change. I suggest that you check the brochures available at the dealer and see how they compare to this.

·
Registered
448 Posts
These things should come with the car. It is something that they could just put another sticker on the car and call it a mark up. I think because they didn't put charges on the bluetooth, etc they just put floor mats, tent. I am not sure about the security number on the side but think that came from the factory also. I just don't see the dealership etching all the numbers on all the windows. I didn't pay for any of those and got all the upgrades in the + (floor mats, security number, speakers, tint). I paid less than MSRP without upgrades and shipping. Plus got them to pay TTL. I walked out with a deal.

·
Registered
100 Posts

thanks!!!
Hmmm...I just took a look at the Kia SOUL brochure that my dealer gave me on 7/20/09. It's half height, white with a small Molten (red) Soul on the cover. Part #UL100 PM001.

Interestingly, the chart for "Seating and Trim" does indeed show the floor mats being optional on the base, and STANDARD in all other models.

Think I need to go back to the dealer and check on this...because of course I bought my "+" soul 7/27, and the sticker showed $95 for the floor mats. Think there's any chance of some recovery? ;/

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hmmm...I just took a look at the Kia SOUL brochure that my dealer gave me on 7/20/09. It's half height, white with a small Molten (red) Soul on the cover. Part #UL100 PM001.

Interestingly, the chart for "Seating and Trim" does indeed show the floor mats being optional on the base, and STANDARD in all other models.

Think I need to go back to the dealer and check on this...because of course I bought my "+" soul 7/27, and the sticker showed $95 for the floor mats. Think there's any chance of some recovery? ;/
That sounds like the same one I scanned above, but without a print date there's no way to know if one is more current than the others.

The brochure also shows sunroof and fogs as options for the +, but build it online and it's gone. This may mean that I have to get the ! for the sunroof which means no Ignition Orange. This is starting to suck. Guess I'll have to wait for the Ignition to hit and start dealing in earnest to be sure what's going on.

As for your chance of recovery - sure! "Fat Chance"!

·
Registered
100 Posts
You know what - that's even wierder - if you use the web site to configure a "+" AUTOMATIC, you get the sunroof/fog lights as an option (and the one I just bought does indeed have those). However, if you select the MANUAL transmission - no option for the sunroof package.

Strange...

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
After my dad bought me my soul now he keeps saying he's going to get him one. I don't thing he will give up his Merc.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You know what - that's even wierder - if you use the web site to configure a "+" AUTOMATIC, you get the sunroof/fog lights as an option (and the one I just bought does indeed have those). However, if you select the MANUAL transmission - no option for the sunroof package.

Strange...
I really hope that is just a web issue. One reason another car was knocked off my list was that you couldn't get ABS without also getting the automatic transmission.

Is there a dealer in the house? We'd appreciate some straight answers.

·
Registered
191 Posts

thank you ahmiowa - however the website says its optional and standard on the "!" models... :confused:WTF I say!? im a little annoyed with my dealer, I have had my soul a MONTH and they STILL have not got me my second key yet!!!

not that it really matters, I only need one - and hell, I have already lost my second fob! (actually I put it somewhere safe but now I cant remember where that safe place is. :mad: darnit)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts