Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there. I have a 2011 base model manual soul and recently began having issues keeping her running. Changed a bad ignition coil, ran great for a couple of days but now I'm stalling put when idling into a stop. Engine dies, electrical still functioning and I have to wait a few minutes before she'll turn over.
Am I wrong in fearing the fuel filter or pump? I occasionally get sputtering in idle. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,448 Posts
I would add throttle body to the list of suspects. May be time for a good cleaning.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just passed 151,000. Would a throttle body throw up a check engine light? None have popped the entirety of the issue so I can't scan it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just changed all 4 ignition coils this morning and noticed a little higher idle on tac but stalled again tonight waiting in a drive thru, then again idling into a stop light on the way home.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Don't know if this holds any importance but the first drive of the day, about 30 miles, no issues. Every subsequent trip the issue abounds.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Issue has a lot of possibilities.

-have you check your fuel filter, air box?
-any check engine lights?
-is the rpm on 500 or less when it doesn't turn off?

my wild (and maybe not related idea) is either the TPS or the MAP.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No check engine light at any point. Idles between 5-600 rpm once it warms up. Then completely cuts out. If I rev at a stop it doesn't happen and it has definitely developed a sputter. I've considered the fuel filter but have yet to address.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,448 Posts
Throttle body wouldn't necessarily throw a code. Man I would definitely consider fuel pump/filter (like you suggested). Your Soul has served you very well at 151,000 miles. Congratulations.

Probably time to drop a few bucks on the old gal!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the kind words. She's been a work horse. New development this evening. Saved it from a stall, engine light flashed several times, disappeared, then the tac quit registering rest of trip. Shed light on the problem or should I just tackling the fuel filter or pump?

·
Registered
243 Posts
I would check the idle air control valve (or IAC). When your foot is off the gas, it actually closes off the throttle plate completely (at least on the 2.0 it does) and the only air getting through is what makes it through the valve so if the IAC is malfunctioning, it can suffocate the engine.

Does the traction control light ever come on randomly? I noticed mine would come on if I disconnected the IAC or used a block-off plate.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hey there. I have a 2011 base model manual soul and recently began having issues keeping her running. Changed a bad ignition coil, ran great for a couple of days but now I'm stalling put when idling into a stop. Engine dies, electrical still functioning and I have to wait a few minutes before she'll turn over.
Am I wrong in fearing the fuel filter or pump? I occasionally get sputtering in idle. Any thoughts?
had the same problem it was the fuel filter

·
Registered
1 Posts
I finally got this problem resolved. It was the crankshaft sensor. If you still have this problem, please have this checked. Car has been fine since it was replaced. I was told that it is difficult to get the code but this new Kia dealer found it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts