Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2017 KIA Soul base, Titanium. Bought some better taars.
2,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installed the torque damper. Considerably more noise and vibration. Is this normal?

·
Registered
227 Posts
You are connecting the engine to the body almost directly so... yes, a little vibration can be expected, mostly at idle and the sound is the engine harmonics transmitting through the body. We've heard from customers that reducing the length of the damper just a bit reduces the preload and in turn, reduces vibration (of course, it also reduces the effect of the damper a little too).

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
Ya it is a tough one. I like a happy medium. I think we first had too much preload and then maybe too little. I actually think this was one mod you really felt the difference right away.. Big difference. I can only describe it as being attached to the road. More solid. Engine does not jump anymore off the light or when during shift.

·
Premium Member
2,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I'm thinking a washer or gasket at a couple of mounting points might smooth things out. The vibration is quite noticeable and is very irritating. Same with the noise.

Feels like a poorly-insulated diesel but without the 192 lb. ft. of torque.

It's hard to judge any changes due to the NVH issues.

·
Registered
928 Posts
I'm thinking a washer or gasket at a couple of mounting points might smooth things out. The vibration is quite noticeable and is very irritating. Same with the noise.

Feels like a poorly-insulated diesel but without the 192 lb. ft. of torque.

It's hard to judge any changes due to the NVH issues.
Seems to me that if you have to go to the trouble of using (I presume rubber or fiber) washers in an attempt to eliminate the vibration, removal my be the better option.

·
Premium Member
2,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Seems to me that if you have to go to the trouble of using (I presume rubber or fiber) washers in an attempt to eliminate the vibration, removal my be the better option.
Pulled the shock body off. This device solves a problem that doesn't exist IMO.

Even after a spacer, numerous grommets, and some adjusting, the car still vibrated like a Model T at certain idle conditions. No more.

Makes you kind of wonder why automotive engineers ever came up with rubber isolated engine mounts doesn't it?
Make the operation smoother? Car is smooth as silk as is. I didn't feel any extra power or torque or improved shifting with the damper in place. Just horrible NVH issues.

I may monkey with it with some copper gaskets, otherwise it'll be on sale shortly.

Reactions: The Old Grouch

·
Premium Member
2,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
^^ Ten fo.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Not sure if I just hit the sweet spot or what, but using my Soul as a commuter I noticed that there is no more engine lurching when coming off of or going in to the gas at relatively higher cruising RPM, which makes the slight vibration totally worth it.

·
Registered
928 Posts
You guys must be driving your Souls a whole lot hard than I drive mine that you can feel the "engine lurching". Are you getting poor fuel mileage also?

·
Premium Member
2,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You guys must be driving your Souls a whole lot hard than I drive mine that you can feel the "engine lurching". Are you getting poor fuel mileage also?
Ya. My car was fine, I thought this would just tighten things up a bit from what I read.

Turns out it was more like installing steel engine mounts. I'm glad some are getting the results they want, but as I said in my case it created a problem where one didn't exist before.

Reactions: The Old Grouch

·
Registered
136 Posts
When I drive my Soul hard, yes, I get poor fuel mileage. I also have fun.

I note some engine slippage when it shifts, or when I start off at a light.

Related to my driving style, but not the engine mounts, I experience loss of traction in the front end when accelerating through corners. A lot.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts