Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here everyone,
After looking around and sending a few emails to SSD, I cannot seem to get an answer on whether or not the SSD strut brace will work on a 2017. The applications look the exact same, but I don't want to order it without knowing, or getting confirmation from someone that it will indeed work. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
9,513 Posts
Mike (at SSD) and I have been friends for some time. I am not sure what happened to make them leave this forum but there was something. I have contacted him and he as told me that they have not fitted one to a 2017. I am going to take some pictures of mine and send them to him and propose an action that may or may not work but will confirm the fitment. Just have to hold you water some, I am a low moving cowpoke nowadays owin' to my IBS, BPH, and ED.

·
Super Moderator
9,513 Posts
Ok, I sent some photos to SSD. I also compared the 2017 to the 2014 that I had (and which had the strut bar on it, you can see my reviews in past threads). They look to be identical. I ask SSD for a quote and I will get one and see if it fits. If not I will return it and let you know but so far it looks like it will be a go.

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Much appreciated! I have the feeling it will indeed work, but I am always gun shy when it's ordering something and I am not sure. Again, thank you a lot for the help!

·
Super Moderator
9,513 Posts
I don't think the guy ever sleeps. He just got back to me, here is his message:

"Hi Frank,

"Funny you should get back, we just had a customer verify the fit for the NON-turbo 2017 Soul this evening. Good source but while not seeing it with my own eyes, happy to send you one and guarantee the fit or it’s all on me (cost plus all shipping).

"Just order on the website and I’ll get it shipped tomorrow.

"Thanks,

"Mike"

Going to order now. If you want to hold off, I will let you know. Be a few days but installation is about fifteen minutes.

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't think the guy ever sleeps. He just got back to me, here is his message:

"Hi Frank,

"Funny you should get back, we just had a customer verify the fit for the NON-turbo 2017 Soul this evening. Good source but while not seeing it with my own eyes, happy to send you one and guarantee the fit or it’s all on me (cost plus all shipping).

"Just order on the website and I’ll get it shipped tomorrow.

"Thanks,

"Mike"

Going to order now. If you want to hold off, I will let you know. Be a few days but installation is about fifteen minutes.
Dang! Talk about getting stuff done!! I will eagerly await to hear if yours works. Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
9,513 Posts
I talked to Mike again today. He found that the tab is probably a tab for mounting a water reservior on the Diesel model. So far we may or may not have a tab on a 2017. I definitely have one which I am going to grind off about 3/8" to let the strut bar sit correctly.

·
Super Moderator
9,513 Posts
Here are some pictures. One if from another car showing the water reservior attached. The other is from my car, the tab is under the window washer tube on the passenger side.

Diesel hood compartment.jpg

Tab engine compartment.jpg

I am going to get a new cutting and grinding wheels for my dremel and take off about 3/8" on the leading edge just to the outside of the mounting hole and fit the strut bar in there.

·
Registered
21 Posts
update ...... it will fit, however you may have to cut a small piece off as I did. I don't know if kia did an opps and added a weird piece by accident but I had to cut off a small portion ( a bit bigger then I needed ) I had updated Mike as well. Some 17's I chatted with don't have them. I went to home depot and bought a jigsaw metal cutter and took me all but 15 min, after that its all bolt on from there.
IMG_3568.jpg IMG_3568.jpg
080E1780-AF57-4504-B511-1C8FA9E5E7CF.jpg
080E1780-AF57-4504-B511-1C8FA9E5E7CF.jpg 7797E547-FFEA-4E07-99C1-D3EF010B2A8E.jpg
3C5651AE-33A6-4D10-B753-9B6884CF2FB1.jpg
75183E81-E8F2-47DD-B237-6925D5BAF80D.jpg

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Looks good! I am going to take a look and see if I have that little piece, and if so go ahead and get it prepped. Thank you for the info and for the work on showing what needs to be done!

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
Looks good! I am going to take a look and see if I have that little piece, and if so go ahead and get it prepped. Thank you for the info and for the work on showing what needs to be done!
Well my strut bar is installed. I lacked that tab on my '16 so it was a 20 minute job tops. That includes putting tools away and even cutting up the box for recycling.

Just make sure you have a 1/2" drill bit to open up the holes in the plastic for the headlight mount so the spacer they provides fits. If you no that and remove your mount you'll just need to pull the stock bolts out and use the supplied hardware.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Addendum:

The entire body/frame of the Kia Soul, is nothing but folded and spot welded sheet metal.
There is NO steel frame like we might be used to on Detroit Iron. Can you say, "Unibody"?
I don't know if they intended for it to Flex, but it sure as heck does.

A bar between the Strut Towers stiffens up the front end, but what about the back end?

Well, a trailer hitch takes care of that problem.

My little Soul with a strut bar and a trailer hitch, corners like a sports car. Total expense....about $300.00

But, if you intend to use your Soul for more than a grocery getter, stiffening up the body is a worthwhile thing to do.

Happy Trails Mates!

:cool:

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
Addendum:

The entire body/frame of the Kia Soul, is nothing but folded and spot welded sheet metal.
There is NO steel frame like we might be used to on Detroit Iron. Can you say, "Unibody"?
I don't know if they intended for it to Flex, but it sure as heck does.

A bar between the Strut Towers stiffens up the front end, but what about the back end?

Well, a trailer hitch takes care of that problem.

My little Soul with a strut bar and a trailer hitch, corners like a sports car. Total expense....about $300.00

But, if you intend to use your Soul for more than a grocery getter, stiffening up the body is a worthwhile thing to do.

Happy Trails Mates!

:cool:
Hitch already installed. :encouragement:

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
After a quick inspection I do indeed have that little tab that I will need to remove some of. Any suggestions on the best cutting tool and blade or wheel for this application? I don't have a lot of experience with cutting on vehicles.

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My buddy said a grinder with a cutting wheel? Would that be my best bet?

·
Super Moderator
9,513 Posts
My buddy said a grinder with a cutting wheel? Would that be my best bet?
I have not done it yet but it seems to me that either a saw blade, a cutting wheel, or a torch are going to be needed. I have a dremel tool and I purchased some cutting blades for steel for it. That is whay I am going to try. But it also is such a small job that almost anything would work. My second choice is to get steel cutting blades for my jigsaw.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts