Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We spent a considerable amount of time searching for a video installation or close-up photos of the SSD Roof Rails but didn't have much luck. Mike at SSD sent us the installation instructions .PDF with detailed photos and we decided to do a follow-up video of the install for those of you thinking of purchasing this exceptional mod!

Enjoy! :cool:

·
Super Moderator
2010 Exclaim
8,085 Posts
Great video! Thanks for sharing! :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Great look! Just don't use those to carry anything. The trim brackets the SSDs bolt to are just spot welded sheet metal, and spot welds tend to snap without warning. Vibration under load as well as the repeated stress of wind buffeting and load shifting from acceleration and cornering would put quite a bit of stress on those flimsy little brackets. When the spot welds do decide to fail, you won't get any warning. The OEM roof rails available outside the USA bolt on to some pretty substantial studs that come up through the frame. The SSD rails look great, but I wouldn't trust them with load carrying, at least not unless you want the Corolla behind you to get a face full of Kayak a few years down the road when they fail catastrophically.

·
Super Moderator
2010 Exclaim
8,085 Posts
Great look! Just don't use those to carry anything. The trim brackets the SSDs bolt to are just spot welded sheet metal, and spot welds tend to snap without warning. Vibration under load as well as the repeated stress of wind buffeting and load shifting from acceleration and cornering would put quite a bit of stress on those flimsy little brackets. When the spot welds do decide to fail, you won't get any warning. The OEM roof rails available outside the USA bolt on to some pretty substantial studs that come up through the frame. The SSD rails look great, but I wouldn't trust them with load carrying, at least not unless you want the Corolla behind you to get a face full of Kayak a few years down the road when they fail catastrophically.
And you know this because...... violin.gif

·
Registered
8 Posts
And you know this because...... View attachment 12474
Well, you caught me; I'm not an automotive engineer. I'm just operating from what I learned in my welding class in college and the crap I spot welded in middle/high school. But that experience does inform my misgivings. However, let me defer to some of the reference material on this since I am not an expert:

Regarding stresses applied on spot welds:

Welded connections

"The welds should be positioned towards the external force so that they are always only stressed in shear. Spot welds stressed in tension have significantly lower load-bearing capacity, which is why their use is not recommended."

^^When the car travels over bumps, curves, and the load vibrates up and down, it applies what I can only assume to be significant tension stress on the spot welds. Spot welds are notorious for being brittle; I learned that from my welding instructor. The fact that there's heavy vibration involved as well can't bode well for durability. Maybe I'm wrong, but has the guy manufacturing these roof rails really done the extensive testing necessary to make sure? If not, how do you know they're safe?

And here's another article regarding the durability and predictability of spot welds that partially verifies what my welding instructor taught me:

http://www.sandv.com/downloads/0504dond.pdf

"Fatigue failures occur at significantly lower loads than the critical loads attained in strength tests. Significant yielding occurs in spot welds, even under relatively low loads. Application of numerous load cycles may result in fatigue failures."

^^Wind forces, bumps in the road, curves, and vibrations all impose load cycles on the spot welded joints. Thousands and thousands of repeated load cycles, on a joint that has a very low fatigue life.

And regarding the extent of testing spot weld joints require because of their unpredictability:

"Conventional practice in automotive industry is to perform extensive tests on spot-welded samples, and also to test full vehicle models to find critical spot weld connections, and further evaluate variants of subsystems to establish a sufficient knowledge database for (concept) design purposes and improving the critical connections."

The fact is, Kia didn't test those joints for the types of load and stresses the SSD bars are placing on them. These are more of an afterthought, a piece of metal put in place to hold a 5oz piece of plastic trim and nothing more. They could be fine, but you don't know that. What I know is that the engineers at Kia chose to use two studs per corner that pass through the unibody frame for the models that came with OEM roof rails; look on this forum for the people trying to remove their factory roof rails. They've got these giant protruding studs on each corner to contend with. If the engineers saw fit to use something so substantial, it should at least give you pause before you mount a roof rail to a trim bracket and load it up with your kayak and mountain bike. Do you really think you or the guy at SSD are that much smarter than the engineers? Why would they spend all that money to put those mounting studs in? Are you willing to bet the life of the person driving behind you that it's just to make the lawyers happy?

I'm not an automotive engineer, and I'm guessing you aren't either. You're just assuming it's safe to make this modification without any testing to verify its durability. My two cents is that it's not wise to second guess the expertise and experience of the people who design cars for a living. Specifically, don't go bolting things onto attachment points that weren't designed for the things you're bolting on, especially if you're exceeding their rated capacity. Think about it: these brackets weren't even designed to take a bolt; they were designed to accommodate a plastic clip! My concern about this particular after market component is that it appears to utilize a part of the car in a way that was far outside the engineers' intentions, and it happens to be a part that uses an attachment method that I have been informed by people more knowledgeable than myself is suspect and prone to unpredictability and failure. So fine, go ahead and assume you're smarter than the people who designed the car, just do me a favor and don't drive on the same freeways as me. I don't want to end up with your clamshell through my windshield.

Caveat emptor.

-Josef

·
Super Moderator
2010 Exclaim
8,085 Posts
Well I understand your concerns but SSD has sold hundreds if not thousands of the roof rail systems and I've never heard of any catastrophic failure as you describe. That doesn't mean it can't happen.... so I'll wait for feed back from others who have used this system. I have the rails on my Soul but they are for look's mostly but I wouldn't hesitate to use them to carry a load. cent.gif

·
Registered
227 Posts
josefski... While I appreciate your opinion (even tho it's not based on any actual personal experiance of any kind), Here's mine... You are way off here. I've run several times the weight carrying limit of the Soul on mine during R&D on our Roof Rails without incident so we HAVE done the extensive product testing required to determine the durability of these mounts... in fact for 3 years now with all of the concerns that you mention in your post. Kia doesn't have to test durability of a mounting flange to make it "ok" to use for a product that they don't even make. Buzz is correct... thousands of these have sold without one single issue... not one. Like I said, I appreciate your opinion but maybe you should stick to something that you have some personal experience with. Just sayin.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've seen roof racks on Jeeps LOADED with everything from kayaks to fold out tents where you climb a ladder and sleep on the roof mounted on nothing more than the rain gutter mounts. Not especially related, but these rails are rock solid; especially once the crossbars are in place. We liked these better than the Canadian OEM rails we've seen and tested.

Plus, isn't there some KIA dealers ordering these up to install on their Souls already?

·
Registered
167 Posts
josefski... While I appreciate your opinion (even tho it's not based on any actual personal experiance of any kind), Here's mine... You are way off here. I've run several times the weight carrying limit of the Soul on mine during R&D on our Roof Rails without incident so we HAVE done the extensive product testing required to determine the durability of these mounts... in fact for 3 years now with all of the concerns that you mention in your post. Kia doesn't have to test durability of a mounting flange to make it "ok" to use for a product that they don't even make. Buzz is correct... thousands of these have sold without one single issue... not one. Like I said, I appreciate your opinion but maybe you should stick to something that you have some personal experience with. Just sayin.
Hi ssd! Do you have local distributor here in manila? Philippines?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Sure don't but we can ship MOST of our products to you (unfortunately, the exception being our SSD Roof Rails and POSSIBLY the Sport Rack system... I'd have to check on the Sport Rack). PM me if you'd like a quote on international shipping on something and I'll check it out and get back to you. Thanks!

·
Registered
29 Posts
My SSD rails came in today. Thanks for the speedy shipping. Also these things are really heavy duty looking, very solid. I plan on installing them tomorrow. Thanks OP for the install video, it will be very helpful.

·
Registered
1 Posts
SoulRally, thanks for the great video! I'm in the process of car shopping and am thinking seriously about a Soul. A roof rack and basket are a must have for me and I've been reading about the SSD products with a lot of interest. They look really great.

I have a couple of questions though and I'm hoping you (or anyone) can help me out.

1.) Once installed, what is the narrowest width BETWEEN the SSD roof rails? In other words, what is the widest a roof basket could be and still set between the roof rails?

2.) In your video you mention that the dimensions of the Rola rack are "45.4x7.4x32.5" I assume that this is LxWxD. I further assume that these are outside dimensions but after looking at a few websites I can't seem to find a Rola basket that has anything like those dimensions. Can you post a link or give a part number for the specific basket you used?

Thanks again!

-Matt

·
Registered
167 Posts
Sure don't but we can ship MOST of our products to you (unfortunately, the exception being our SSD Roof Rails and POSSIBLY the Sport Rack system... I'd have to check on the Sport Rack). PM me if you'd like a quote on international shipping on something and I'll check it out and get back to you. Thanks!

I can have it shipped at a friends house in the states and
He can ship it me. Do have this roof rail
In silver color?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Matt..... You've got 41" of width and about 52" of length to play with inside of the roof rails. I just put a Rola basket on mine that a customer suggested and I love it (this customer is actually the member that made the SSD Roof Rail video in this thread... thanks Nathan!). I was able to slip our cross bars through the rack so the upper bars of the basket sit on top of our Aero Cross Bars thus lowering the rack down between the SSD roof rails. Once mounted, it clears the roof of my Soul by about 3/8"... perfect AND a nice, low profile look. Here's the link... Rola Roof Basket Roof Cargo Carrier | etrailer.com . Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,996 Posts
The OEM roof rails available outside the USA bolt on to some pretty substantial studs that come up through the frame.
Those pretty substantial studs are mounted to the soul the exact same way SSD mounts their rails. I have the mounts for the OEM kit sitting here on my desk. Just thought you should know.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
5 Posts
This is exactly what I am looking for! Any way to get a part number for the SSD rail system in the States? Or should my dealer have these. They did not have any at time of purchase. So again great job.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts