Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a warning to those that purchased the aero cross rails that fit onto the SSD racks. I noticed that they are attached with very little reinforcement. I originally over tightened them and when I took them apart I noticed that the screw was held in by a small steel pin inserted into plastic. I mentioned this to SSD requesting a new one but never got a reply. Well today I lost my new Kayak on the freeway when the wind ripped it and the crossrails right off my racks. They may have a good weight limit but theres no sign of pull force to those racks. Going to look for a new tower mount system. Does anyone have any recommendations for a solid tower crossrail system?

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
backlash from SSD fanboys in 3...2...1...

on a serious note, that could have led to a huge accident. especially on the freeway. good thing no one was hurt.

[sent from the squat rack...]

·
Registered
227 Posts
Leesie... sorry to hear about this. I don't recall hearing from you about over tightening them. If I had, I would have warned you that overtightening them could damage the tower. After selling literally thousands of these, this is the first time I've heard of anything like this. I have used these myself for years now. You probably don't want them but I would be happy to send you 4 new towers. If you'd like them, just PM me with your address and I'll get them right out to you.

Eboni... Really?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Leesie, sorry to hear of your problem, that sux. Way to stand behind your product SSD! Refreshing in this day and age for a company to do that. No, I'm not a fanboy, as I don't own any SSD stuff...yet.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
yeah...really. you misunderstood. i expected ppl blaming her for the incident *bc they'd never had any issues with their ssd products. THAT'S what i meant by fanboy.

*edit
[sent from the squat rack...]

·
Registered
227 Posts
LeeSie... I'm doing some research and I'll PM you if I can come up with a product number but I've had a few customers tell me that Thule makes a clamp that will fit our SSD roof rails and their cross bars. Hate to send you somewhere else and the offer for free towers still stands of course but I completely understand if you are leary of them.

Sorry Eboni, this kind of threw me a little!

·
Registered
183 Posts
I noticed they don't lock very securely but I'm not sure how they would come off when tightened. I'll have to give mine a closer look. I just ordered a Yakima roof rack for them.

·
Registered
33 Posts
LeeSie: Any chance of close up pics of the device and how it failed? I was just going to order the system and now you've got me nervous. No consumer installed system should catastrophically fail if overtightened a little, but without seeing it my opinion is weak, and neither SSD nor anyone else has close ups posted of this clamping gear.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I'm curious to see these pictures too. I can't imagine that they would let a screw go into plastic for a clamping system... I could be wrong. SSD, do you have pics of these and how they clamp on?

·
Registered
25 Posts
We also overtightened one of the cross bar towers. It's easy to do, especially if you're used to securing everything down as tight as possible. We eventually had to take it apart and put in a wire to keep the bolt in place and allow for tightening again. I didn't want to mention it because I kinda figured it was my fault but yea, the crossbars are great but with that one design flaw on the towers caused us about an hours worth of grief and fiddling around. I believe I still have close-up photos.

·
Registered
227 Posts
These cross bars are typical of the quality out there in that price range. This customer mentioned that the clamp was actually loose on the roof rail BEFORE the incident so I would just recommend the common sense approach as you would for any item like this... if you think something is wrong or broken, don't use it until you are sure that it's ok. All cross bars are constucted with plastic pieces these days and any of them can be damaged easier than we'd like to think (unfortunately). These carry a 3 year warranty so there is no reason to take a chance . I've never had an issue hauling my personal kayaks with these same cross bars but I ALWAYS see that the kayaks are tied to the rails as well as the cross bars just as a safety precaution. As I said, this is the very first incident in 3 years and 1000's of sets sold and in fact, I've got a new set on the way to LeeSie as we speak.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Mike, do I understand the system correctly that there's a bolt roll pinned into a plastic housing? Is it the pin bending that's the failure or is the housing deforming?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts