Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was going faster than I should have on my city street (had an emergency to attended too) and the light turned yellow and I stepped on the brakes. The tires squealed and the car drifted a little. Frightened me a little bit and the funny part was is ABS didn't active. So is this an issue? Are the brakes ok. Is the squealing normal with the hankook tires?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No TCS was turned on and I never drive my car that hard. Like I said it was an emergency...
So I'm guessing the car will be fine.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Well my apologies for sounding blunt earlier, but abs is not guaranteed to protect your brakes from locking up..it is a merely preventative for health reasons, now required on all vehicles just the same as your TCS, I would suggest keeping an eye on it, as that shouldn't happen during normal conditions, but i wouldn't go try to purposely do it..lol..

Drive Safe!

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,164 Posts
ABS works as soon as one wheel on the front looses traction (sliding for example), so if you have traction it may not activate. Its not the TCS you can turn off its the ESC system that can be De-activated - two different systems.

·
Premium Member
2017 KIA Soul base, Titanium. Bought some better taars.
2,639 Posts
What's your tire pressure? I'd suspect underinflation. I've done only one emergency stop, no squeal and the brakes worked most excellently.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tire pressure is what it's suppose to be on the car. And on that one street the road is a little oil slicked because of other cars. I'm not too worried about. Like I said I'm only curious if this is normal.

·
Registered
928 Posts
I've always been lead to believe that the abs only kicks in when the pedal is mashed as far as it will go, as in a total panic stop. Does the system on the Soul kick in without flooring the brake?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So this is how ABS, BA, EBD work...

ABS will pulsate whichever tire is locked because we have four channel ABS. Meaning one sensor per tire. So if one locks up and the others are at threshold braking. ABS will fix that one tire. Doesn't matter how hard or light you step on the brake pedal. So if your in snow and ice condition you can apply the brake force at 50% and cause a tire to lock. ABS overrides your input and applies braking to where the wheel doesn't lock but instead pulsates.

BA (brake assist). Is the safety system designed to apply 100% of brake force if you take your foot off the accelerator and slam on the brakes or if your coasting and slam on the brakes. If you apply 80% of the braking power and the computer realizes that it's a emergency stop it will apply 100% of the braking power even though you only applied 80% or 90% of the power. Helping you stop faster.

EBD (electronic brake force distribution). Is a system designed to tell how heavy the car is when braking. Under a normal load meaning little cargo in the back. The front tires do most of the braking while the back supplies a little of the braking because the engine is in the front. If your on a trip carrying a heavy load and you have a lot of stuff in the back. The sensors react so more braking of the car is done towards the back so the car doesn't lean forward and the front brakes don't lock and cause ABS to active. It also takes into steering input. If you brake in a corner and you have a load each brake will change forces on the disc so the car doesn't fishtail or lose traction.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
WOW! All that, and only $18k !!!

:cool:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts