Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, in Brazil they just launched the Soul last week, but we don´t get the upgraded stereo system not even as an option.:mad:

What are the maximum sizes I could fit in the stock places(tweets, doors & center dash)?

Would it be possible to put a 5" Focal sub on the dash where the original center speaker goes?

I was thinking about doing a set-up like this:

Front - Focal or Dynaudio 6,5" component speakers in the doors & original mounted dash tweeter placement, a 4" or 5" inch center speaker in the center speaker placement.

Rear - 6,5" coaxas in rear doors.

Maybe two 8" subs (Image Dynamics, JL Audio or Focal) or one 10" sub.

What you guys think? HEEEELP!!!!!!!!:confused::confused::confused:
Almost forgot, can I fit an Alpine IWA-505 HU in the original factory HU place?

Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
ANY headunit will go if you're good at what you do :)

Jensen VM9022 is a full DoubleDIN.

You WILL be doing work to get it to mount at the angle of the original headunit. The stock head is level, and then has a real weird angled faceplate.

Although I looked way back in March at the doors, I haven't messed with the stock speakers yet. I hear they are 6.5" and deep, so "shouldn't" be any problem.

That dash center speaker is NOW a 4" something or other in a funny adaptor. I bet without the adaptor and "if you are good at what you do", you could probably get a 5"-6" in there WITHOUT the funny adaptor.

The back sub provision looks like it would have taken an 8" without modification. I had it cut out to take a 10" Fosgate "shallow" sub.

Notice you have all sorts of room under the seats (Hifonics Zeus Z400).....BOTH seats :p (Alpine PDX-4.100)

I am NOT sure about the tweeters....I have not pulled the trim off yet, but I imagine any decent dome tweeter will hide underneath those little grills.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
If you manage to get something nice in the back doors.....post pics please!!

I have been thinking of putting 8" woofers in those doors to get back some of the 100-250hz I don't really get with the stock speakers.

My 10" Fosgate is GREAT back there, but it gets "loose" at anything above 100hz.

Since I am using the stock Infinity "upgraded" in the doors, and this 100w x4 digital Alpine....I'm making SURE I roll the lows off around 250hz to try and not burn 'em up.

I'll get some decent components for the fronts and replace them with 6.5" and some decent tweets and a seperate x-over (Fosgate Punch, MBQs or something)

6.5"s in back doors unless I can shoehorn some decent 8's in those.

·
Registered
925 Posts
I don't think a 6" sub would fit in the center.Just looking down at it doesn't look like that much a 4 or 5.25 would work as a replacement center.
Good choice of speakers!! I was going to do Focal,but descided on going with Hertz after hearing all the reviews and my buddy that owns the stereo shop went to their class and is now a distibutor.
I'm doing 3 10's in the floor.Going with the shallow Excellon subs from Kenwood.
If you could get some shots of the rear doors that would be awesome.I don't think an 8" will fit ,but maybe a shallow 8"!!
I was going to try some RE XXX 6.5 in the rear but they are almost 4" deep and no way going to fit.Going in small boxes under the seats for major mid bass!!!

POst some pics of your install!!!
I wanted to do a new radio ,but the 1 dash kit I've found recesses the radio in the dash and I don't care for that!! I like it to look factory!!.I'm putting an Audiso Bit One on my factory radio and everything should look stock and be hidden!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Slammed, your set-up sounds really nice, I think I´m gonna use an Audison BitOne also, to keep it safer & stock looking also.(Any pics of your set-up?)

PS: For me the problem in choosing the equipment is that in my city there aren´t any SQ shops to listen to anything...I´m reading alot of reviews & hope I´m lucky, haven´t decided on what brands yet...

According to Metra Electronics http://www.metraonline.com/fitl.aspx, the sizes for the original speaker locations are as follows:

Front Speaker-
Size= 6.5", Depth 3.75"

Front Tweeter-
Size= 2", Depth 2"

Rear Speaker-
Size= 6.5", Depth 3.5"

Center Speaker-
Size= 3.5", Depth 2.5"

Subwoofer-
Size= 8", Depth 4"

I don´t know if these figures are correct, seems so, but I think that the center channel can fit somethig bigger than 3,5".

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
But the largest problem is that here in Brazil everything costs twice as much, including the Soul which starts out at a whopping U$ 35000......

The Focal KRX2 165 comp set costs "only" U$1500, and in the U.S. Ivé seen them retail for about U$600, WICKED PRICES!!!!

·
Registered
925 Posts
I will have pics when I get it all.We are ordereing the Audison/Hertz stuff this week.I have a buddy that owns a stereo shop and he's hooking me up!I was going to change my mind and go with a Kenwood/Excelon dnx9140 but my cost was still $1300!!!! A lil steep,but get DVD,Nav,and back up camera.Still thinking about it.It's $900 more then if I go with just the stock head unit and a Bit One

·
Registered
925 Posts
He said he'd have to mess with it a lil ,but he said it should fit.I'm really leaning towards the Bit One and leaving the factory radio.I don't need DVD,GPS,the rear camera would be nice ,but I can live without it.We are also going to get a new altenator made because I don't think the stock will handle 2000 watts

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
CGW......You can get anything to fit there (Look a little further up), and if you are good with some aviation snips and have a good collection of "junk" brackets laying around, you can get whatever angle you want.

I had to settle for "almost" at the dash angle, and then just hit the tilt function for the LCD to sit at that angle. I built the funny little shade assembly after noticing that angle and the LCD just did NOT get along. That shade thing has since been replaced with a better one that does NOT have the funny droop in front you see in the pics.

Jensen VM9022 is a full Double DIN, and it's a really big box. Only mod INSIDE the dash was I had to just bend down the tab the original head slides onto, and had to dremell away some of the plastic in front so the unit could sit about a half inch lower in front for that angle.

·
Registered
925 Posts
I got the 9140.Nothing installed yet.I couldn't pass it up after seeing one installed and all the features.Also changed up the sysytem specs a lil.
Kenwood 9140 in the dash with a schoche kit
2 Kenwood shallow 12" subs in a custom fiberglassed enclosure run off 2 Kenwood XR-1S amps
A pair of Hertz Audio HSK 163 3 way componants in the front doors and dash run off a Kenwood XR-4S
We are thinking of just keeping the stock rears door speakers as rear fill run off the head unit
Probably going to have to do a custom Altenator too and a new battery.Don't want the whole flashing lights thing happening!!.It' will be about a month or so til we can get it going ,but will have detailed pics!!!
I'm going to Hush Mat the entire car too.Roof,floor,doors!Don't want a rattle trap!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sounds good, how are you gonna put the 3way kit in the doors, woofers in the doors, what about the mids and tweets?

PICS!!!!!!!!HEHEHE

·
Registered
925 Posts
6.5 woofer in the stock door location.Tweeters are getting put into the lil triangle ares where the mirrors bolt up and the 3" is going in the factory dash tweeter location.And yes we are going to have to do some modding to get the 3's in!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts