Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

Sprint EVO BT - Great on 2010 Soul, fails on 2011?

3K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  ahmiowa 
#1 ·
Hi,

I have a new 2011 Denim Soul +, that replaced my two 2010 Souls (long story - didn't need 2 any more, and dealer was willing to trade them both for one new).

Anyway - happily took the new one home last night, and started to set up the Bluetooth with my Sprint Evo, which worked perfectly fine on the 2010 units. Voice Dialing, Phonebook transfer, etc - it was no big deal to set up, and "just worked".

I admit that this is something I didn't check out - I expected that the 2011 would work the same way... but it clearly does not.

The voice setup commands have been replaced with setup buttons in the radio system. Figured that out, and connected my phone to the new Soul. Looked ok.

Trouble:

- never successfully downloaded contacts - never gets bast "Downloading Phonebook"

- even if I disable downloading contacts through the setup menu, the error message I get is "Please Wait". Forever.

The phone is Android 2.2, all updates/patches applied, and the Soul bluetooth is at version 3.13 (as per TSB: BOD 074).

One wierd thing too - when the phone connects to the car, I get the bluetooth status shown as: "Connected to phone and media audio". About 5 seconds later, I see a popup message on my phone, "Bluetooth Disconnected", and the status changes to "Connected to media audio". (loses the phone?)

But unfortunately, neither phone nor audio gets to the radio via bluetooth - nothing happens.

Unfortunately, my husband's Sprint/Samsung Epic worked.

I'd appreciate any ideas - I just couldn't imagine that if my phone worked with the 2010, that it wouldn't work with the 2011.

(And neither phone is listed as "supported" - they apparently only test really old phones....)

Thanks - sorry for the long post!

See less See more
#2 ·
Is bluetooth the same in Plus (w/Audio Upgrade), Exclaim?

I'm back...and will make this one shorter.

Went back to the dealer. Demonstrated that my Evo won't pair with my new 2011 Plus (w/upgraded Audio).

Asked to try the 2011 sitting in the showroom. WORKED LIKE A CHAMP!

Showroom model is an Exclaim, built 6/2010

My Plus was built 11/2010.

Any idea what changed? Is it the fact that it's a Plus vs. Exclaim, or the manufacturing date? I had understood that the audio head unit in the Exclaim was the same as the Plus w/Audio (center speaker, etc...)

Thanks for any thoughts out there! We're all stumped.

#3 ·
Hmm... not sure. I picked up my Soul last July (2010) and the dealer tried syncing my HTC Incredible (2.1 at the time) and it didn't work. I tried on my own several times to no avail. When I got the 2.2 update I thought it would fix my problems but still it can't connect. I have the same problem as you; it hangs up on "downloading phonebook". I have tried other phones as well including Droid X and they work with no problems. My guess is my stereo needs a software update but I really don't know.

#4 ·
I have a 2011 Soul + with stereo upgrade and an HTC evo phone. It works with the bluetooth but can be very tempramental. I find that i have to turn the car on and then turn the bluetooth on the phone and wait about 2 minutes for it to update phone book. It still is a bit tricky to use voice dialing as it won't recognize names very well.

#5 ·
Got it fixed!

I am now able to reliably pair/connect my Evo with my 2011.5 Kia Soul audio system.

How?

Cleared my call history - that's all it took!

I had been looking around the web, and saw another individual with a newer Kia vehicle who mentioned this fix. Tried it, and now I'm happy!

I need to let the dealer know, so they can spare others this frustration.

Oh- and by the way, its working both for phone calls, and for audio (set the radio to "AUX").

Love it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.