Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been searching the archives and found some decent info, but there are some big things I've noticed that nobody has commented on. Is a Class 1 hitch the ONLY option for a Soul? (No Class 2 available anywhere?)

The next thing I've seen is that MOST people seem to be going with the Curt hitch. I haven't seen anyone say they got a HiddenHitch or DrawTite (both the same hitch with a different name?). Has anybody on here went with one of those two brands instead?

I haven't found anything in the archives that says why people chose the hitch they did... just reports of "easy install" or things like that. I come from a motorcycling background, and one of the things we're always struggling for is less weight (it's all about power to weight, and even weight distribution)... so I'm hesitant to bolt on an extra 32-35 lbs. onto the bottom rear of my Soul, which is currently REALLY zippy.

Something I've not read anywhere in the archives is that the HiddenHitch and DrawTite are both about 20 lbs vs. the Curt at 32-35 lbs. That is a HUGE difference in weight! Now I KNOW the obvious point is that the Curt must be more sturdy... but then why are they both the exact same tongue and tow rating? Maybe somebody who bought one of the other brands will reply and say they felt it was "flimsy" and they're not happy with their choice(?) That would be GOOD info to have on here also.

I started this thread because looking through the archives I couldn't find anything about the other options... and if this weight difference is reality... it's (pun intended)... the 800lbs gorilla on the table that people should consider before pulling the trigger... and if one of the other options is flimsy (after it's installed) then we should let others know that as well.

I ordered a DrawTite, which has been backordered again and again... but when it finally gets here I'll update with my experience.

·
Registered
97 Posts
My Curt hitch shipping weight was 29 lbs. I am confident you won't find a class 2 hitch for the Soul from a reputable builder. When you actually receive the hitch see what the shipping weight is. I am curious if the weight differences are as significant as you indicate in your note.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I have not been able to find the gross combined vehicle weight rating for the Soul. The XB is a more powerful vehicle yet it does not recommend towing at all. Given that there would be a minium increased GCVR with a class II hitch, it may be that the manufacturer is not recommending anything in that wieght range for the Soul, just too much combined wieght for the engine, transmission, frame combination to handle. If that is the case, and I have suspect that it is, then no manufacturer is going to waste time making a Class II for it. The Class III and IV would be out of the question as external brakes would need to be fitted and that would certainly exceed any 200 lb tongue weight rating that I see on the hitches that I have read about. I would not believe that going from a max of 1500 pound weight limitation to a 3500 lb rating would be something I would even consider for the car, especially the 1.6. Hit a nice hill with something that big on the car would leave your transmission smoking and not in a good sense.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I just installed the Curt hitch yesterday, but won't tow anything till tomorrow. Yes it was an easy install with basic tools. Took me about an hour with fat hands, skinner hands would be easier. The only thing sticking out is the hitch part. Very well hidden.

I don't think any manufacturer will make a Class II for a car that produces 160hp. In Europe cars come diesel which produce a ton more torque so they might have that rating over there. In USA, manufacturers don't recommend hitches at all. Even though most cars fit them and they are very easy to install, they don't recommend it. My last car a BMW 335i it was not recommended for towing in USA but in Europe yes.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My Curt hitch shipping weight was 29 lbs. I am confident you won't find a class 2 hitch for the Soul from a reputable builder. When you actually receive the hitch see what the shipping weight is. I am curious if the weight differences are as significant as you indicate in your note.
This is really important info! I'd PREFER to get the Curt hitch as it looks the nicest, but I was scared by the spec (in all listings) of 32-37lbs actual hitch weight. I ordered a Curt hitch for my dad's old truck and the install took me LITERALLY 5-6 minutes... and the hitch is really nicely made.

Can anybody else confirm the Curt weight? It looks like I'll be sending an email to Curt to get confirmation of that!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My shipping box showed 35 pounds, so I would guess low 30's.

10 pounds is not a big deal since it is not rotating mass.
According to THIS PAGE HERE the Curt hitch is 32 lbs.

(The top hitch includes the receiver, which makes the total package weight 37 lbs)

I'll even be using an aluminum receiver to keep the weight as low as possible. I realize it's everybody's opinion... and 12 lbs isn't that much weight, but if it's the same effective rating... I'd rather have the lighter hitch. When I have cargo in the back of my soul (like a new TV for instance)... I can definitely tell a difference in the ride. I don't want to add any weight that I don't have to.

In my book... if the HiddenHitch/DrawTite are 12lbs lighter... that's a big deal... and I'm going to let my back-ordered order with DrawTite stand. I'll let you know how things turn out when it arrives.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I'm getting mine put on next week. I have no idea who it's made by since a company that outfits our clients trucks is installing it.
The only thing I'll be pulling is maybe a Ski-Doo and a bike rack. Maybe a small utility trailer...

·
Registered
339 Posts
I'm also buying the Curt. From some of the reviews I've read, the Curt tucks up under the body better and the others hang lower. The car sits low enough as it is.
Plus I can get the Curt for $121.00 with free shipping. That includes the ball mount.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I installed the #11110 Curt receiver on my '12 yesterday. It's an impressive piece that fits perfectly. I installed it without lifting the vehicle, lying on my back, not the easiest way, but it's on without incident. If you want the versatility this addition adds to the vehicle, don't hesitate ordering the Curt receiver.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I installed the Curt 11110 as well. Looks good, can barely see it. I got it as a kit though, with receiver, and T-connector wiring as well (56023), and the receiver is a little short (the ball is really close to my plate) and the T-Connector doesn't light up my LED breaklights (stock lights), but the trailer connector and the turn signals work. Going to have to bring it into a shop to get them to see why they aren't lighting up the break lights. :(

·
Registered
48 Posts
had my hitch now for about a year. in that time i have pulled a pop up camper no prob from texas to ohio. ive also used the hitch to pull the soul out of a few mud holes (im a ******* i know) Use to have a 3/4 ton duramax. so i sort of use my soul in ways the manufacture probably wouldnt suggest.

·
Registered
339 Posts
As to the hitch ratings, the mfgs build hitches to the weight specs Kia gives them.
Funny thing is on one page in my owner's manual, it says the rating is 2000/200.
On another page it says towing is not recommended. Go figure.

·
Registered
28 Posts
As to the hitch ratings, the mfgs build hitches to the weight specs Kia gives them.
Funny thing is on one page in my owner's manual, it says the rating is 2000/200.
On another page it says towing is not recommended. Go figure.
With the gasoline engine, towing is not recommended in general, but if you have the occasional need to tow something, you don't want to exceed 2000/200. I put the Reese hitch on my 11! mostly for a bike carrier. I didn't get the electrical connections for a trailer.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts