Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Base/auto, Shadow Black (Betsy)
900 Posts
Who decided black wheels look good with black tires? Back in the day we had white walls or redlines to offer some contrast or you spay painted black rims silver or even gold. Black on black I don't get it.
Yeah and "Paint it Black" was a big hit back then!
- Boomer eGAK & the Tiger Paws

·
Registered
2020 LX IVT
74 Posts
Here is the results:
View attachment 133648 View attachment 133649

I actually really like how they turned out. I have always liked the black wheel look.

Here is the paint I used:
View attachment 133650

Here are some more before and after pictures:
View attachment 133652 View attachment 133653

View attachment 133651 View attachment 133654
Color looks great! I have the same color Soul as yours, and now think to do the same. Is the paint color black, or a charcoal? It matches the metal wheels incredibly...

·
Registered
2020 Kia Soul LX
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Color looks great! I have the same color Soul as yours, and now think to do the same. Is the paint color black, or a charcoal? It matches the metal wheels incredibly...
I believe it is matte black paint yet it does say it anywhere on the can.

·
Registered
2020 Pearl White LX
80 Posts
looks good...I'm going to borrow your idea.Do they pop off or do you have to remove the lug nuts?

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,614 Posts
looks good...I'm going to borrow your idea.Do they pop off or do you have to remove the lug nuts?
Lugs gotta come off on these ones.

·
Registered
✴️BING✴️ Toast's ready, pass the butter!
1,100 Posts
Here is the results:
View attachment 133648 View attachment 133649

I actually really like how they turned out. I have always liked the black wheel look.

Here is the paint I used:
View attachment 133650

Here are some more before and after pictures:
View attachment 133652 View attachment 133653

View attachment 133651 View attachment 133654

The wheels now look GREAT!
Now you have to clean those tires, they look terrible, especially with the hubs looking so sharp.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Soul LX
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
The wheels now look GREAT!
Now you have to clean those tires, they look terrible, especially with the hubs looking so sharp.

Yeah I need to buy some tire shine.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Just for the record....I really HATE Bolt On wheel covers. You have to jack up the car, just to get them off. I got my KIA dealer to take them off for me, during the first Oil Change and Tire Rotation.
Once I get them off, they Never go back on.
For several weeks, before I found some snap-on wheel covers that I liked, I just drove around with Black Wheels, with Chrome lug nuts and Tire Shine on the tires. It really looked pretty cool.

My little Jem, after the wheels and hubs are painted with Duplicolor Gloss Black paint, and the tires are coated with Tire Shine. Later I did find some nice Black Spoke wheel covers, at Pep Boys. (no pic.)

FLH :cool:

·
Registered
2020 LX IVT
74 Posts
Just for the record....I really HATE Bolt On wheel covers. You have to jack up the car, just to get them off. I got my KIA dealer to take them off for me, during the first Oil Change and Tire Rotation.
Once I get them off, they Never go back on.
For several weeks, before I found some snap-on wheel covers that I liked, I just drove around with Black Wheels, with Chrome lug nuts and Tire Shine on the tires. It really looked pretty cool.
View attachment 134863
My little Jem, after the wheels and hubs are painted with Duplicolor Gloss Black paint, and the tires are coated with Tire Shine. Later I did find some nice Black Spoke wheel covers, at Pep Boys. (no pic.)

Thanks to your picture, my 2020 charcoal with stock wheels, a car I loved, I now loath. I've yet to see such an awesome look Soul. Good work man, I hate you... :LOL:

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
What I hate about the OEM steel wheels is that the factory paint is pure crap. (I doubt that KIA actually makes those wheels.) Fresh from the factory, they are Black, but just a few months later, they turn a really nasty grey. (see pic.)

But scour them clean, and then paint them with a spray can, and they can look pretty good.

Yes, I even painted the wheel hub and the chrome lug nuts, so that they wouldn't show through the
snap-on wheel covers. The main thing is to get the wheels really CLEAN, before trying to paint them. (After washing and scouring them, I wiped them down with Lacquer thinner, before painting.) I did that on my 2013 Soul, and now on my 2020 Soul. Both cars had steel wheels.
The only difference is that on the 2020 I did NOT paint the lug nuts, but I did paint the hubs.
I drove the car around for several weeks, with just black wheels and chrome lug nuts showing, before I finally found some wheel covers that I found acceptable. (no pic).

Good Luck, and happy motoring,

·
Registered
2020 LX IVT
74 Posts
What I hate about the OEM steel wheels is that the factory paint is pure crap. (I doubt that KIA actually makes those wheels.) Fresh from the factory, they are Black, but just a few months later, they turn a really nasty grey. (see pic.)
View attachment 134989

But scour them clean, and then paint them with a spray can, and they can look pretty good.

View attachment 134990
Yes, I even painted the wheel hub and the chrome lug nuts, so that they wouldn't show through the
snap-on wheel covers. The main thing is to get the wheels really CLEAN, before trying to paint them. (After washing and scouring them, I wiped them down with Lacquer thinner, before painting.) I did that on my 2013 Soul, and now on my 2020 Soul. Both cars had steel wheels.
The only difference is that on the 2020 I did NOT paint the lug nuts, but I did paint the hubs.
I drove the car around for several weeks, with just black wheels and chrome lug nuts showing, before I finally found some wheel covers that I found acceptable. (no pic).

Good Luck, and happy motoring,
Major transformation! ... I haven't noticed that steel fade yet, and the glisten on the plastic wheel covers --which I strangely and shamelessly like-- adequately distracts me. I like that the stock wheel covers pattern matches that of the holes in the steel wheels, which while becoming more common in general, still hasn't been universally recognized as a no-brainer to make the stock (cheap) option more livable.

·
Registered
3 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Kia Soul LX
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Did your hubcaps just snap right off or did you have to remove lug nuts first? How is it holding up?
These hubcaps are the type that are attached to the wheel using the leg nuts. Not many new cars come with the bolt on hubcaps, but I like them since they are more secure to the wheel and I think look better. Of course it makes the hubcaps much harder to take off.

The paint is holding up great! From what I can tell there has not been any fading, chipping, or scratches. I am really happy with how they turned out.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Update:
After driving around with just shiny black wheel for a while I finally found some Snap On Wheel Covers at Auto Zone, that I liked. With the black wheels behind them, they look pretty snazzy on this white car.

When they get dirty, I can just wash them, and when they get too beat up, I can just replace them.
No problem. And, in the mean time, they look Great on this car.
Cheers Mates,

21 - 36 of 36 Posts