Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Kia Soul LX
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

Due to me owning a 2020 Kia Soul LX I have these very ugly steel wheels with OEM bolt on hubcaps.

So I am looking for ways to make my wheels look better without buying all new rims or tires. In my research I came across spray painting my hubcaps black, which would probably be one of the cheapest things I can do to my wheels and allow me to keep the Kia logo and the bolt on aspect of my current OEM hubcaps (other hubcaps fall off easier). I want to spray paint them black so my steel wheels are less noticeable and because I just like the look of black wheels.

Has anybody done this?
Can anyone give me some pointer?
Do you think they are going to look good on my Soul?

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
303 Posts
I‘be seen it done on some hubcaps for other makes and they look OK. A few recommendations. Wash them thoroughly let them dry and then clean the surface to be painted with rubbing alcohol. Let the alcohol dry. Then apply a layer of a plastic compatible primer. Then apply your final color followIng the manufacturers recommendations. spray paint is fine but best applied is several light coats.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Soul LX
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I‘be seen it done on some hubcaps for other makes and they look OK. A few recommendations. Wash them thoroughly let them dry and then clean the surface to be painted with rubbing alcohol. Let the alcohol dry. Then apply a layer of a plastic compatible primer. Then apply your final color followIng the manufacturers recommendations. spray paint is fine but best applied is several light coats.
Thanks for the recommendations!
When you say they look ‘OK’ do they look better than they do stock because that is all I am really trying to accomplish?

·
Registered
635 Posts
You may want to try it on just one cover, so that if it goes south you only have to buy one replacement from Kia.

EDIT: Or, you may want to go purchase a set from WalMart and spray those. Keep the stock ones for if/when you go to sell it down the road.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Thanks for the recommendations!
When you say they look ‘OK’ do they look better than they do stock because that is all I am really trying to accomplish?
I think you have to take your time applying the paint, also choosing the shade of silver you want to apply. Some I’ve seen look real good, you would not knit they were hubcaps. Others, you could tell someone just wanted to paint them and didn’t really care.

Reactions: Elkman23

·
Registered
489 Posts
Since they are plastic,be sure to use a good adhesion promoter or they will be flaking in no time

·
Registered
489 Posts
  • Remove the plastic parts from the vehicle, if possible. ...
  • Wash the plastic auto part with car wash soap and rinse with water. ...
  • Sand the plastic auto part with 800-grit sand paper and water. ...
  • Apply an adhesion promoter to the plastic part so that the primer and paint will stick to it.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,606 Posts
Reactions: Snatchell

·
Registered
2020 Kia Soul LX
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
  • Remove the plastic parts from the vehicle, if possible. ...
  • Wash the plastic auto part with car wash soap and rinse with water. ...
  • Sand the plastic auto part with 800-grit sand paper and water. ...
  • Apply an adhesion promoter to the plastic part so that the primer and paint will stick to it.
Here is my current plan for painting my hubcaps:
  1. Wash with soap
  2. Sand
  3. Wash with rubbing alcohol
  4. Apply adhesion promoter
  5. Apply primmer
  6. Apply paint
  7. Apply clear coat
Does this sound right?

·
Registered
489 Posts
It does indeed,looking forward to the results!

·
Registered
115 Posts
I've thought of doing that on my alloy wheels because I'd like all black better than silver/black. But i question if it'll hold up over time. Maybe update this post after a year or so. My only suggestion is using some of that "tire shine / blackening" stuff on your tires so they look as good as the wheels.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Who decided black wheels look good with black tires? Back in the day we had white walls or redlines to offer some contrast or you spay painted black rims silver or even gold. Black on black I don't get it.

·
Registered
2020 LX IVT
74 Posts
Hi everyone!

Due to me owning a 2020 Kia Soul LX I have these very ugly steel wheels with OEM bolt on hubcaps.
View attachment 133625 View attachment 133624
So I am looking for ways to make my wheels look better without buying all new rims or tires. In my research I came across spray painting my hubcaps black, which would probably be one of the cheapest things I can do to my wheels and allow me to keep the Kia logo and the bolt on aspect of my current OEM hubcaps (other hubcaps fall off easier). I want to spray paint them black so my steel wheels are less noticeable and because I just like the look of black wheels.

Has anybody done this?
Can anyone give me some pointer?
Do you think they are going to look good on my Soul?

Thanks for your help!

I once tried something maybe more interesting, and it worked perfectly. I stored the OEM hubcaps and had the black metal wheels spray painted the same color as the car, though by pros. They charged surprisingly little (small town body shop) and it was durable and looked really cool!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts