Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about upgrading the rims on my 2010 Soul + from the stock 16" to 18". I know this would normally throw off the actual speedometer & odometer readings. However, I'm wondering if the electronic speed sensor on my automatic transmission will automatically adjust for the difference, or do I need to have my dealership recalibrate, if possible?

This may already be in a thread somewhere, but I can't find it. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
214 Posts
If you get the proper sized tires, it shouldn't throw anything off.
I seriously believe that Kia has the wrong tire size down for the 18"... Tire Rack suggests you run 215/40R18 in which the circumference is only 0.4" shorter than that of the 205/55R16, i.e. around 0.4% difference which is well within the error of any speedometer.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
I went from 18s to 16s on my former 2012 and it did throw the speedo off a small amount. I talked to a few dealers and was told they could not be recalibrated.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
With the stock 15" tires on my Soul, my speedometer is off by 5+ mph at highway speeds.
My service manager said that Kia allows for 10% error in the speedometers, so they will do
nothing about mine being off.

There is NO calibration.

But, my "Scan Gauge II" is right on the money, according to a GPS, so I watch that and ignore my speedometer.

Good Luck

:cool:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts