Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to the dealer Saturday to get my oil filters and while I was there I asked the parts guy about the price of the spare tire kit and he told me to look for a spare tire donut from a Honda at the local car scrap yard. He says Honda has the same bolt pattern as the Soul. Anyone else done this yet?

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
I could have but I'm too lazy. By the time you seek out all the stuff you'd need you're not that far ahead of buying one on Ebay. I paid $160 shipped to my house for the tire and jack kit. I probably could have bought that stuff, non-Kia specific, for 50 or 60 bucks total, and then figured out how to make it fit nice and neat the way the factory one does now.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I could have but I'm too lazy. By the time you seek out all the stuff you'd need you're not that far ahead of buying one on Ebay. I paid $160 shipped to my house for the tire and jack kit. I probably could have bought that stuff, non-Kia specific, for 50 or 60 bucks total, and then figured out how to make it fit nice and neat the way the factory one does now.
Agreed. I'm about as tight as tightwads come, but I haven't been able to find anything locally in six months. I finally gave in and ordered the OEM kit yesterday from a guy on eBay for $159 including shipping to my door.

Richard

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Agreed. I'm about as tight as tightwads come, but I haven't been able to find anything locally in six months. I finally gave in and ordered the OEM kit yesterday from a guy on eBay for $159 including shipping to my door.

Richard
By the way, I ordered the spare tire kit over this past weekend (I think it was early Sunday morning) from this seller on eBay for $159.00, including shipping, and it shipped before 10:00 this morning (Monday). That's pretty darn quick if you ask me. It's a good price, too, considering that it includes shipping. This is the item in case anyone's interested.

This seller carries different spare tire kits based on the original wheels that were mounted on the various Kia models and years; so they ask buyers to send them a note with the make, model, year, and wheel size when ordering to make sure the right kit is sent. That's a pretty good idea considering that tires aren't the cheapest things to ship.

By the way, I have no relation to the seller. I just like plugging what seem to me to be good eBay sellers. (I also don't hesitate to lambast bad ones.)

Richard

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
By the way, I ordered the spare tire kit over this past weekend (I think it was early Sunday morning) from this seller on eBay for $159.00, including shipping, and it shipped before 10:00 this morning (Monday). That's pretty darn quick if you ask me. It's a good price, too, considering that it includes shipping. This is the item in case anyone's interested.

This seller carries different spare tire kits based on the original wheels that were mounted on the various Kia models and years; so they ask buyers to send them a note with the make, model, year, and wheel size when ordering to make sure the right kit is sent. That's a pretty good idea considering that tires aren't the cheapest things to ship.

By the way, I have no relation to the seller. I just like plugging what seem to me to be good eBay sellers. (I also don't hesitate to lambast bad ones.)

Richard
I bought the kit from this seller months ago too. Great service and fast shipping --- and lowest price I could find at the time, I think it was $155.

·
Registered
107 Posts
That's exactly what happened to me last fall, on my way to work, hit god only knows what on the freeway, tire went down, 3 inch gash in sidewall, no way that can of fix-o-flat and air compressor was going to do any good.
Called roadside service, waited an hour, gat hauled to Kia dealership, and they tried to tell me they did not stock that brand of tire.
I told them their lot was full of them, and if needed they could remove one from them and replace it when the order came in, I on the other hand needed a tire now, not 2 weeks from today.
It was either that or they where furnishing me with a loaner until my car was ready to be picked up.
I had a new tire installed within an hour.

·
Registered
39 Posts
When I bought my new 2015 Soul Base A/T, I was able to get the spare tire kit as part of my deal. A month later, I'm still waiting for it. Maybe I should've just went with a seller like this instead. :chargrined:

·
Registered
177 Posts
I was told, by the salesperson, that Federal Regulations prevent them from providing a spare tire in the Soul. This is the very first time I've ever gotten a car without a spare tire and it does nag at me that there is nothing but a compressor and some fix-a-flat where there "should" be a spare tire.

Just what is this Federal Regulation and why was it implemented, if anyone knows?

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
GEEK and USER14, did the kit you ordered come with the foam tool/jack holder?
Yes it does. I asked the seller before I placed the order to make sure and sure enough it did arrive with the foam holder. They should update their pics to include it but maybe you should check with them too.

·
Registered
22 Posts
My FIAT 500 doesn’t have a spare. I don’t miss it. I did buy a cheap bottle jack and a tire repair kit but have yet to need it.
I’ll do the same with the KIA.

TireRepairKit_LG.jpg

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,156 Posts
I was told, by the salesperson, that Federal Regulations prevent them from providing a spare tire in the Soul. This is the very first time I've ever gotten a car without a spare tire and it does nag at me that there is nothing but a compressor and some fix-a-flat where there "should" be a spare tire.

Just what is this Federal Regulation and why was it implemented, if anyone knows?
I would ask him to show you that regulation, I've never heard of it. However, KIA is not the only one to do this more and more manufacturers are going this route, the new Renegade for example its a $195 (US) option.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I would ask him to show you that regulation, I've never heard of it. However, KIA is not the only one to do this more and more manufacturers are going this route, the new Renegade for example its a $195 (US) option.
It could be, in an indirect way. The CAFE standards are a challenge for manufacturers, so they look for every ounce they can save. If the customer adds the spare tire after purchase, it doesn't count against the manufacturer.

That being said, I wouldn't put it past the U.S. federal government to do something stupid like outlaw spare tires in new cars. They've done stupider things than that. Routinely, truth be told. But I think I would have read about it somewhere.

Richard

1 - 20 of 37 Posts