Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2015 soul base w/20k on the clock and love the car a lot, no issues at all. I think it's the best economy car you can buy for the money. These recalls have me thinking about getting rid of it while it still has the most value. Engines grenading, fires and oil consumption just aren't issues I like to have in my future. I'm just wondering how many Soul owners out there have 150k on the clock to get a measure of what the future might hold. I usually hold onto cars until an uninsured driver totals my ride. It's hard to gather any info like what I'm asking here online. Love to get any input because it will help me to make a decision.

·
Registered
2014 Soul+ Bright Silver (Sterling Soul)
966 Posts
I have a 2015 soul base w/20k on the clock and love the car a lot, no issues at all. I think it's the best economy car you can buy for the money. These recalls have me thinking about getting rid of it while it still has the most value. Engines grenading, fires and oil consumption just aren't issues I like to have in my future. I'm just wondering how many Soul owners out there have 150k on the clock to get a measure of what the future might hold. I usually hold onto cars until an uninsured driver totals my ride. It's hard to gather any info like what I'm asking here online. Love to get any input because it will help me to make a decision.
Welcome!
Please try using the search tool as you're not the first person to ask similar questions. There are plenty of threads here of owners telling of their high mileage success stories.

Secondly, this particular forum is for 1st generation Souls sold from 2010-2013 and your 2015 Soul is a 2nd generation model. If you post in the appropriate forum for your car's model year you'll have better response. Gen1 Souls differ from Gen2 Souls quite a bit.

Good luck.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Gen1 are likely to have more miles so I see why you posted it here. I personally worked on one in very good condition couple of weeks ago and it had 210k on it. It was definitely well maintained throughout and we had records of it being at the dealership for most of its service history. I also just put an engine in one with 156k on it that blew up. This one was not well maintained and beat up all over, also had no rear brakes for some time as everything was seized back there. It had the p0420 cat code and Kia picked up the bill on the short block replacement. They do stand behind their engines.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I have almost 161k miles on my 2013 that I bought brand new in 2012 with 1 mile on it (or was it 3?), 6 speed manual base model 1.6. Always kept up with oil changes and used synthetic until about 30k miles ago when it was burning enough oil that I don't bother with the synthetic exclusively any more. Other than the fact that it burns oil, the engine still runs well and I anticipate it being my last commuter until I retire. That's exactly why I bought it and I think it's going to make it. Even with the oil consumption (about a quart every maybe 2k miles) it's a really cheap car to run 50 miles each way back and forth to work. I still get 33-36 MPG without really working at it and have had this thing up to 42 MPG (I have a whole thread of MPG experiment posts from about 6 or 7 years ago).

·
Premium Member
Co. 6900ft 2018 and 2012 Soul+
370 Posts
My friends tell me I go overboard on maintenance on my vehicles. They tell me I spend to much unnecessary money. I've never had a breakdown on either of my Souls. Spend now or spend later. What's the difference. 2012 does not use a drop of oil yet.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a modified 2011 Soul 1.6L and I drive it pretty hard and tracked it 4 times with 164K miles on it.. Only had 1 recall on it and 1 cam angle sensor went out. Those are the only times I've taken into service and car still runs fine minus my gas mileage dropped. Regular maintenance with spark plugs changed 3xs. Tranny fluid twice and radiator flush twice. Never had an oil problem.

My Souls originally from MD and now live in CA.

Only major problem I have is I need more power at the track =P

·
Registered
4 Posts
147k on my 2014 1.6L manual 6 speed. running good. only issues I've ever had were user wear and tear. I've been running full synthetic and changing about every 7000 miles (oil can claims 15,000). So I halved it, and use K&N oil filters because it's a lot easier to access/change with no shop to work in.
Swap out brake pads when needed, and won't hesitate to do an oil change at 3000 miles if the oil is looking bad. Every now and then I'll have to add a 1/2 quart but that's usually not unless I get close to 10,000 miles without an oil change. Also I've been running 5w20,* I'll switch to 5w30 at 150k miles and see how that does then

I check my air filter every oil change and usually I just blow it out with the compressor, but it's never bad (pleasantly surprised actually). I use paper filters now that I'm in the desert instead of the k&n I used when I was living in the city.
I'm thinking next upgrade/tune-up I'm going to do will be new injectors & spark plugs and keep driving on from there..
I should do a radiator flush here soon though too.

little kirby got soul. still average 33-36 mpg, can get 42 in the right conditions ;)

UPDATE
*I asked my old mechanic if switching to 5w30 instead of recommended 5w20 was a good idea. his response was "No..," not unless you're burning oil, i.e. visible smoke coming from the exhaust.
He said on these smaller engines and how they were designed/manufactured that it's not a good idea to use the heavier weight. However, in cold cold climates, it could be better. like Michigan/Montana cold.. Denver maybe.

Not sure if any of this update will help anyone but I felt I learnt sumthin' today...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts