Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's pretty common for cars to get more than 100,000 miles these days. Many are known to commonly get upwards of 200,000. How many should a Kia Soul get?

I'm planning to buy a Soul in the next few weeks. However, I've never owned a Kia before and am wondering what kind of lifespan I should expect out of it, providing I take care of it of course. I've known Hondas, Nissans and Subarus to routinely last more than 200,000. I'd like to get some honest feedback from Kia Soul owners about this. I'm hoping to get a good price on a new Soul, but if I can't, I'll buy a used one. I definitely want a Kia Soul, but I would appreciate hearing from people who have gone down this road before me what I should expect. How many miles do Soul's get before they start needing costly repairs?

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,156 Posts
do a search there are many threads on this subject:

http://www.kiasoulforums.com/2-soul...353-how-many-miles-does-your-soul-have-2.html

http://www.kiasoulforums.com/2-soul-general-discussion/9508-who-has-most-miles.html

http://www.kiasoulforums.com/2-soul...-how-many-miles-can-you-get-out-kia-soul.html

http://www.kiasoulforums.com/2-soul-general-discussion/14890-50-000-mile-club.html

http://www.kiasoulforums.com/2-soul-general-discussion/13369-2010-soul-w-almost-200k-miles.html

As the Soul only first came out in 2009 as a 2010 model, there will be only a few that have hit 200,000 miles by this time. If you maintain it as per the maintenance schedule in your owners manual, there is no reason that it shouldn't match Hondas Nissans, etc. If you purchase used then make sure its been maintained properly, which is the important thing on any used vehicle regardless of the make.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
do a search there are many threads on this subject:

http://www.kiasoulforums.com/2-soul...353-how-many-miles-does-your-soul-have-2.html

http://www.kiasoulforums.com/2-soul-general-discussion/9508-who-has-most-miles.html

http://www.kiasoulforums.com/2-soul...-how-many-miles-can-you-get-out-kia-soul.html

http://www.kiasoulforums.com/2-soul-general-discussion/14890-50-000-mile-club.html

http://www.kiasoulforums.com/2-soul-general-discussion/13369-2010-soul-w-almost-200k-miles.html

As the Soul only first came out in 2009 as a 2010 model, there will be only a few that have hit 200,000 miles by this time. If you maintain it as per the maintenance schedule in your owners manual, there is no reason that it shouldn't match Hondas Nissans, etc. If you purchase used then make sure its been maintained properly, which is the important thing on any used vehicle regardless of the make.
Thank you so much for this. I don't have a clue how to search for threads on here yet. As you may know, I'm super new here. I will start reading the threads you put the links to in a few minutes, but just based on what you've said, I feel more confident in my decision to buy a Soul. I will probably be better off buying new if I can get a good enough price on one. Thank you!

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Thanks for pulling that thread up about the Soul with almost 200k on it . I was about to go find it myself

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,156 Posts
just look on the upper right you will see search for this site :D

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Boy, I wish I could afford to drive mine 200k!
But, that would be 100k beyond the end of the warranty. Yoiks!

I'll trade mine off before then.....but to insure that mine is still running great, up till I decide to trade it off for a new one, I'm just going to give it lots and lots of TLC. She's my BABY!

The Soul like many cars today, is very High Tech. That's good in some ways, but it also means there is a lot of little things that can go wrong.
Most of the complaints we read here or on any car forum, are not engine failures or wheels falling off, , , NO, it's the little gadgets and gizmo's that people think they can't live without.
I personally feel like the Kia Soul is as good as any other new car on the highways today, but more fun than most. :)

Reactions: LOUBONES

·
Registered
489 Posts
Boy, I wish I could afford to drive mine 200k!
But, that would be 100k beyond the end of the warranty. Yoiks!

I'll trade mine off before then.....but to insure that mine is still running great, up till I decide to trade it off for a new one, I'm just going to give it lots and lots of TLC. She's my BABY!

The Soul like many cars today, is very High Tech. That's good in some ways, but it also means there is a lot of little things that can go wrong.
Most of the complaints we read here or on any car forum, are not engine failures or wheels falling off, , , NO, it's the little gadgets and gizmo's that people think they can't live without.
I personally feel like the Kia Soul is as good as any other new car on the highways today, but more fun than most. :)
Yah trade it in on a 4 door sedan. :laughonfloor

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Yah trade it in on a 4 door sedan. :laughonfloor
Meaning no disrespect, but.............NO FREAKIN' WAY!!!!

The last sedan I drove, almost gave me a brain concussion from that low door frame.
That's one reason I bought the Soul. (the big windows and high door frame)

Right now, I can't even think, about NOT driving a Kia Soul.

TM :cool:

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Over the past 50+ years, I've made a few mistakes in what car I bought.
I won't list them all, but the last sedan I owned was the Suzuki Forenza.
A beautiful little car, but I need to stress, "Little Car". That was a brain concussion on four wheels. I was actually drunk when I bought it. I won't ever make that mistake again.

The older and stiffer I got, the harder it was to get into and out of.
I had only had my Forenza for a few months when the first SX4, iAWD came out. I saw one at my Zuki dealer and drooled on my shoes! I must have spent at least a half hour, walking around the little red SX4, looking inside it, under it and just imagining me actually owning one.

It was three years later when I finally was able to make the trade.
I had driven my Forenza 60,000+ miles. Except for the damage from the pine tree falling on it, it was still in Like-New condition, thanks to my high level of maintenance, every 3k miles.

My old Suzuki dealer was closed and I bought the very first SX4 from a new (formerly Dodge) dealer.
Now that dealership is closed too. Toyota has taken over that entire property.

Hopefully, I'll never have to drive a sedan again..ever, ever, ever!
And it looks like I'll never own a Suzuki EVER again.

I really love my little Kia Soul and it's so easy to get into and out of.
And it's just a real pleasure to drive.

But as to the question in the name of this thread....
The Kia Soul is a very High-Tech little car, but with GOOD Maintenance it should last a very long time.
I just automatically put myself into the "Severe Usage" category. Because I read my owners Manual and I see that I'm definitely a "Severe Usage" driver.
Maybe even a little bit "EXTREME" at times. I think using my car as a road grader is somewhere above "Severe Usage". Eh?
It's too bad that Kia doesn't have an "Extreme Usage" category.

You don't have to enter your Soul into Ralley Races, or take it to the drag strip to qualify for Severe Usage. Read the manual and you'll understand.

Cheers Mates!
:cool:

Reactions: LOUBONES

·
Registered
98 Posts
My Kia Soul came with a 20 year/200,000 mile warranty and I fully intend on keeping it in the family to use it through that time! :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My Kia Soul came with a 20 year/200,000 mile warranty and I fully intend on keeping it in the family to use it through that time! :)
Wow! I've never heard of a warranty that long. That is awesome. But... is it from Kia or the dealer? I know Kia's normal warranty is MUCH longer than nearly every other manufacturer's, but I didn't know they issued warranties like yours. If it is from your dealer, then let's hope he stays in business for the next 20 years so he can honor it. :)

·
Registered
190 Posts
Im hoping to hold on to this car as long as it will let me... For me as long as you dont neglect the car give it its maintenance then it will serve you well in the long run. Hoping to use this baby for 20 years!!! hahahahahah!!!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Wow! I've never heard of a warranty that long. That is awesome. But... is it from Kia or the dealer? I know Kia's normal warranty is MUCH longer than nearly every other manufacturer's, but I didn't know they issued warranties like yours. If it is from your dealer, then let's hope he stays in business for the next 20 years so he can honor it. :)
No, they actually give you the extended warranty through Zurich Insurance Company. I know a lot of people are weary of 3rd Party Insurance Company Warranties but the fact of the matter is that I got it all in writing and as long as I follow the maintenance schedule, they cannot refuse me. I looked online and Zurich got plenty of good reviews and not too many bad ones so I was satisfied and happy with it!

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Addendum:

The real deciding factor, on how long a car will last, is not so much the car Maker, or the car Dealer or whether or not you like your mother-in-law. :)

It's YOU.....yes YOU! And how seriously you take Auto Maintenance.
Or maintenance of anything..... your car, your lawn mower, or your Computer.

I'm a professional Computer Tech and what I've seen people do to their home computers is absolutely Criminal. I add programs to my customer's PC's for a high degree of "Self Maintenance", but so far, I've seen NO Self Maintenance systems on cars.

So it's up to the owner/driver to do their own auto-Maintenance. So much of that is "first echelon", that is to say what the driver should do on a weekly basis, or before any long trips. I taught that stuff in the Army.

Check the tires, for metal objects sticking out of them, for bulges on the side walls and for the correct air pressure. If you're old and slow, like I am, that might take you all of five minutes.

Then pop the hood and check all the fluid levels and look for corrosion on the battery terminals. All this takes less than ten minutes. We used to get this stuff done at the filling station, before the days of Self Serve. The young guys won't even know what I'm talking about, but us old timers can surely remember.
But then, gasoline was only twenty cents per gallon, or less, then too. Boy! that won't happen again!

Cheers Mates!
TechnoMage :cool:

·
Registered
190 Posts
Very well said Techno Mage, thats what my dad and my uncle would say ever since I started driving, before driving off be sure to check your tires, pop the hood and check liquids or anything that might seem unusual... those are really great tips!

·
Registered
750 Posts
Addendum:

The real deciding factor, on how long a car will last, is not so much the car Maker, or the car Dealer or whether or not you like your mother-in-law. :)

It's YOU.....yes YOU! And how seriously you take Auto Maintenance.
Or maintenance of anything..... your car, your lawn mower, or your Computer.

I'm a professional Computer Tech and what I've seen people do to their home computers is absolutely Criminal. I add programs to my customer's PC's for a high degree of "Self Maintenance", but so far, I've seen NO Self Maintenance systems on cars.

So it's up to the owner/driver to do their own auto-Maintenance. So much of that is "first echelon", that is to say what the driver should do on a weekly basis, or before any long trips. I taught that stuff in the Army.

Check the tires, for metal objects sticking out of them, for bulges on the side walls and for the correct air pressure. If you're old and slow, like I am, that might take you all of five minutes.

Then pop the hood and check all the fluid levels and look for corrosion on the battery terminals. All this takes less than ten minutes. We used to get this stuff done at the filling station, before the days of Self Serve. The young guys won't even know what I'm talking about, but us old timers can surely remember.
But then, gasoline was only twenty cents per gallon, or less, then too. Boy! that won't happen again!

Cheers Mates!
TechnoMage :cool:
It wasn't that long ago....My first job was pumping gas at a full service Texaco station. Got really good at finding hidden gas caps and where the oil dipsticks were and such. Gas was about $1.20 then (seventies, gas "shortage" HA!). I remember folks were outraged we charged $1.40 for premium!
Okay, maybe it WAS a long time ago, now that I think about it. And I agree about the "maintenance". :)

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
At the local shopping complex the security guy drives a company Soul...not sure what year but it has well over 200K on it...forget if he said 235 or 250. I plan on getting a pix of it tomorrow if he is there...said he worked weekends.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Everyone talks about maintenance of the vehicle and mechanical issues. Based on the history of Kia, the are improving and the reliability seems to be good, so mechanically I would guess it will last.
The real issue for me is not mechanical, but cosmetic. A rusty car is a car that I would never want to have (and loses value). My disclaimer is I live in Alberta Canada and may not reflect on your region.
Growing up I saw lots of people buy Hyundai's when they came out. 3 years later the cars had mechanical problems they were dealing with, but worse they had issues of their newish cars rusting. That happened in the late 80's and in the 90's nobody was buying Hyundai's here. I will also say that in the early 2000's Hyundai re-invented themselves and their cars seems to be better mechanically. But I NEVER saw a 10 year old Hyundai unless it was rusting. Hopefully it improves, but it's too early to tell. This is relevant due to the shared platforms with KIA. I will say the only older Korean cars I ever saw on the road in the 2000's was the Kia Sportage.
Mazda has been terrible here with Rust starting in the early 2000's (my Rusty protege never made it 5 years without rust on the wheel wells). The newer Mazdas are starting to have the same issue. I bought a Mazda again but I am still worried about the rust.
The only 10 year old cars on the Road that I normally see are older high end cars and Japanese cars (mind you lots of early 2000's civics are rusting here).

I believe if the car is not rusty and looks good, people will keep fixing them up (if parts are reasonable and less that the price of the Rusty car).

Nowadays I believe mechanically most cars are very good, and my wife's Sportage is holding up nicely mechanically. I am guessing the Soul will be the same.

·
Registered
136 Posts
That is why I try to avoid buying cars with gadgets built in that I can add aftermarket for a reasonable price. GPS is a prime example. While the engine and transmission (especially if its a manual) might well last ten or fifteen years, or hundreds of thousands of miles, what are the chances that the built in navigation system will? If it dies, and you want to replace it, how much will it cost? Its much easier just to stick a GPS unit to the windshield. When it kicks the bucket, buy a new one.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts