Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #22
When in doubt, go for a drive with the dealer service technician. Be in the vehicle when it starts to shimmy. Let them diagnose it and explain it to you while you are there. Ask questions.
Well that鈥檚 the thing... we had them drive it with us when test driving because we noticed it when I test drove by myself. They drove it and noticed it too which was why we booked the appointment because they assured us it was a balancing issue. Got to the appointment and was told oh no nothing is wrong

Registered
Discussion Starter #23
Were you able to drive it before they put the new tires on to ascertain if the shimmy was present? That would help to know if it's really the tires or something else causing the problem.
No we test drove it before buying and new tires had been installed already.

Registered
Discussion Starter #25
I would take it to an independent shop and have the balance checked. Also tell them when they spin the tires on the balancer to see if any wobbles. Have also seen a front axle shaft bent causing a vibration.
I got it back today and it is significantly less of a shimmy, so I鈥檓 not sure what they did because they told me they didn鈥檛 do anything except take them off and put back. Maybe just a loose bolt like someone suggested earlier
Hi all! I just purchased a used 2016 Kia Soul and noticed that at speeds reaching 50+ mph there is a shimmy on the vehicle. I took it to the dealership because they advised it would be an issue caused by not balancing the new tires they put on, but when I took it for the appointment I got a call back saying nothing major was wrong with it.
I am looking for advise on what could still be causing this issue because I am sure a car is not supposed to shimmy like this, but I could be wrong. Any suggestions would be helpful!
Thank you!
Thank you all for the suggestions! I鈥檓 glad I joined such a helpful group!

Registered
I got it back today and it is significantly less of a shimmy, so I鈥檓 not sure what they did because they told me they didn鈥檛 do anything except take them off and put back. Maybe just a loose bolt like someone suggested earlier

Thank you all for the suggestions! I鈥檓 glad I joined such a helpful group!
Sounds link something that happened with my wife鈥檚 car some 49 years ago. There was an out of round tire (wheel).

Reactions: Soulclub101

Registered
Discussion Starter #27
Sounds link something that happened with my wife鈥檚 car some 49 years ago. There was an out of round tire (wheel).
I will try take it to a tire shop soon to see what they say. Thank you!

Registered
Was the recall for the steering column done?
Just to clarify the recall, there is a pat A or part B recall depending on the date of production. To check to see if you have the issue yourself you can just park the car in a safe spot and put your parking break on. Start the car and reach your head down below the steering wheel and observe the steering shaft, you will need to turn the wheel lock to lock in both directions, it is also good to put your hand on the shaft that comes through the firewall. You are looking for up and down movement on that shaft that comes through the firewall. If there is some, take it to the dealer to have it verified. The recall entails tightening the pinion nut ( have to remove the shaft and drop the front subframe a bit so let the dealer do it) and then once it is torqued correctly we actually have a jig we install on it and drill and tap a hole that a set screw will be installed in to prevent the nut from backing off in the future. The other (easier part B) of the recall is that Kia recognized the possibility of this issue and installed the set screw at the factory and it will be just a check with another jig to make sure that it was fully seated and is not protruding any signifying that it may have backed off. If it checks good then just a small amount of sealant is applied over the set screw. This problem does not produce a shimmy but could make the car wonder a bit or lose steering if not performed. If you purchased this car from a Kia dealer it is nearly certain that all recalls and service actions have been performed on the vehicle.

Registered
Discussion Starter #29
Just to clarify the recall, there is a pat A or part B recall depending on the date of production. To check to see if you have the issue yourself you can just park the car in a safe spot and put your parking break on. Start the car and reach your head down below the steering wheel and observe the steering shaft, you will need to turn the wheel lock to lock in both directions, it is also good to put your hand on the shaft that comes through the firewall. You are looking for up and down movement on that shaft that comes through the firewall. If there is some, take it to the dealer to have it verified. The recall entails tightening the pinion nut ( have to remove the shaft and drop the front subframe a bit so let the dealer do it) and then once it is torqued correctly we actually have a jig we install on it and drill and tap a hole that a set screw will be installed in to prevent the nut from backing off in the future. The other (easier part B) of the recall is that Kia recognized the possibility of this issue and installed the set screw at the factory and it will be just a check with another jig to make sure that it was fully seated and is not protruding any signifying that it may have backed off. If it checks good then just a small amount of sealant is applied over the set screw. This problem does not produce a shimmy but could make the car wonder a bit or lose steering if not performed. If you purchased this car from a Kia dealer it is nearly certain that all recalls and service actions have been performed on the vehicle.
I got it from a dodge jeep dealership and researched all the recall requests from the VIN and asked the dealership if all the recalls had been completed. As for the test you are talking about, I鈥檓 not so sure what you mean lol I鈥檓 not a car person but if the parking brake has to actually hold the car to do this then kinda a bit of a problem.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts