Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! I just purchased a used 2016 Kia Soul and noticed that at speeds reaching 50+ mph there is a shimmy on the vehicle. I took it to the dealership because they advised it would be an issue caused by not balancing the new tires they put on, but when I took it for the appointment I got a call back saying nothing major was wrong with it.
I am looking for advise on what could still be causing this issue because I am sure a car is not supposed to shimmy like this, but I could be wrong. Any suggestions would be helpful!
Thank you!

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Did they check the tire balance? Possible bad tire, bent wheel.
They said they checked, but did not rebalance because there was no issue. All 4 tires are supposed to be brand new as of a week ago.

Registered
1. Mileage?
2. Driving environment?
3. Confirm that the shimmy is felt primarily in the front wheels?
4. Is it felt in the steering wheel?
5. Confirm that the dealership checked that the lug nuts were not loose?
6. Confirm that the tires were spin balanced? Did the technician check for (a) out-of-round wheel or (b) of round tire during balancing?
7. Are the boots over the constant velocity joints intact? A damaged boot would allow crud to contaminate the constant velocity joint.
8. If felt only when braking, this would likely be a warped rotor.
9. What brand of tire was installed?
10. Was there an issue before the new tires were installed?

Registered
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
1. Mileage?
2. Driving environment?
3. Confirm that the shimmy is felt primarily in the front wheels?
4. Is it felt in the steering wheel?
5. Confirm that the dealership checked that the lug nuts were not loose?
6. Confirm that the tires were spin balanced? Did the technician check for (a) out-of-round wheel or (b) of round tire during balancing?
7. Are the boots over the constant velocity joints intact? A damaged boot would allow crud to contaminate the constant velocity joint.
8. If felt only when braking, this would likely be a warped rotor.
9. What brand of tire was installed?
10. Was there an issue before the new tires were installed?
mileage is 83,000, Driving environment? reaching 50mph. I don't know about the shimmy in the front wheels, but can feel in steering wheel. All the dealership told me was that there was no major issues. Felt anytime over 45-50mph braking or otherwise. other questions I don't know sorry, but the new tires came with the car when I purchased it last Friday so I don't know how they were before.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
mileage is 83,000, Driving environment? reaching 50mph. I don't know about the shimmy in the front wheels, but can feel in steering wheel. All the dealership told me was that there was no major issues. Felt anytime over 45-50mph braking or otherwise. other questions I don't know sorry, but the new tires came with the car when I purchased it last Friday.
Tires are DORAL-SDL-SPORT

Registered
If you feel it in the steering wheel it is in the front end. Try a tire shop and have them spin the wheels. Sounds like a bent wheel or bad balance job, send the bill to the dealer if it is a bent wheel. Doral is one cheap tire but they should not do that when new. If you don't want a tire shop and have a jack just move the front wheels to the rear yourself and if the shimmy goes away or changes you can be certain that is the problem.

Registered
I would jack it up, one tire at a time, starting with the front and turn a wheel, with an object (Dial indicator, if you have one) close to the tread to check for out of round.

Otherwise take it to a decent tire shop.

Did the dealership provide you any type of warranty?

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
If you feel it in the steering wheel it is in the front end. Try a tire shop and have them spin the wheels. Sounds like a bent wheel or bad balance job, send the bill to the dealer if it is a bent wheel. Doral is one cheap tire but they should not do that when new. If you don't want a tire shop and have a jack just move the front wheels to the rear yourself and if the shimmy goes away or changes you can be certain that is the problem.
OH ok thank you! I took it to the dealership because they said the shimmy was from not balancing them when they put the new tires on, but when they had the car there they said nothing was wrong. LOL

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
I would jack it up, one tire at a time, starting with the front and turn a wheel, with an object (Dial indicator, if you have one) close to the tread to check for out of round.

Otherwise take it to a decent tire shop.

Did the dealership provide you any type of warranty?
Yes there is a bumper to bumper warranty which is why we had to take it to them for the rebalancing service in the first place.

Registered
Was the recall for the steering column done?
If loose, I would expect play in steering, rather than shimmy, but worth checking.

https://www.cars.com/research/kia-soul/recalls/

Recall Number
17V608000
Recall Date
09/29/2017
Component
STEERING
Summary
Kia Motors America (Kia) is recalling certain 2014-2016 Soul and Soul EV vehicles. The pinion plug may allow the pinion gear to separate from the steering gear assembly.
Consequence
If the pinion gear separates, steering will be lost, increasing the risk of a crash.
What Owners Should Do
Kia will notify owners, and dealers will inspect and secure the pinion plug or replace the steering gear assembly, as necessary, free of charge. The recall began November 16, 2017. Owners may contact Kia customer service at 1-800-333-4542. Kia's number for this recall is SC155. Note: This recall supersedes campaigns 14V-332 and 15V-736. Vehicles previously remedied under those numbers are being recalled again under this campaign.

Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
Hi all! I just purchased a used 2016 Kia Soul and noticed that at speeds reaching 50+ mph there is a shimmy on the vehicle. I took it to the dealership because they advised it would be an issue caused by not balancing the new tires they put on, but when I took it for the appointment I got a call back saying nothing major was wrong with it.
I am looking for advise on what could still be causing this issue because I am sure a car is not supposed to shimmy like this, but I could be wrong. Any suggestions would be helpful!
Thank you!
Were you able to drive it before they put the new tires on to ascertain if the shimmy was present? That would help to know if it's really the tires or something else causing the problem.

Premium Member
2017 KIA Soul base, Titanium. Bought some better taars.
OH ok thank you! I took it to the dealership because they said the shimmy was from not balancing them when they put the new tires on, but when they had the car there they said nothing was wrong. LOL
Dealers lie a lot. It's in their blood, they just can't not do it.

Registered
2016 MT
Thank you!
When in doubt, go for a drive with the dealer service technician. Be in the vehicle when it starts to shimmy. Let them diagnose it and explain it to you while you are there. Ask questions.

Registered
I would take it to an independent shop and have the balance checked. Also tell them when they spin the tires on the balancer to see if any wobbles. Have also seen a front axle shaft bent causing a vibration.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts