Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in Dallas last week and had to rent a car for three days. As luck would have it, Alamo had one Soul at a special discount so I took it. It was a 2014 Silver Plus model with less than 10K miles.

I had to do a lot of driving and had a chance to really check it out on Interstates and country roads. My thoughts.

Highs:
The seats are probably the most comfortable I have ever had in any car….really soft, supportive and a lot more comfy than Gen 1 cars. As many have said, the interior is much more up-class in every way with lots of soft-touch materials. The car was quieter, more solid feeling and the ride noticeabley softer and smoother. My wife has always driven Camrys and I don’t think she would find the Soul any less comfortable. The car stereo was fine, but nothing special.

Lows:
Compared to a Gen 1 car, the new generation feels more top heavy to me with more body roll. I know that all the reviews indicate the new car handles better and I believe the cg skid pad numbers are a tiny bit better…but it didn’t feel as tossable. And frankly during quick lane changes the suspension felt a little soft and squirmy. However, I drive a Mazda 3 and this is a particularly good handling car without much body lean. So while I’m trying to compare with ’10-13 cars, it could be than my view is tainted somewhat by my daily driver.

The electronic steering was fine in the Sport mode and that is where I drove it ninety percent of the time. The Normal mode was OK but a tad soft for me and the Comfort mode was almost scary. It just felt waaay disconnected and driving even a little aggressively on curvy roads was fraught with lots of understeer.

I found the space behind the back seats limited. I believe even with a normal grocery shopping trip that it might require dropping at least one seat back.

Last, just a subjective opinion; I find the looks of the new car attractive…but not as attractive as Gen. 1. I really think adding some sort of line or molding on the side would help matters a bit.

I think KIA did a fantastic job of upgrading the car in every way. I’m sure it is even more attractive to more people. However, the suspension and handling feels a little less sporty and direct and if they offered a “sport suspension” to tighten things up a bit, I’d be all over it.

Just my .02.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Soul +, 2018 Soul 1 Million Edition
786 Posts
:indecisiveness:Geez

·
Registered
2013 Kia Soul +, 2018 Soul 1 Million Edition
786 Posts
Was not meant to be an agree or disagree issue. I own and drive a 2013 and am happy with it. Sounds like you are years away from deciding what to buy-that's it, nothing more or less. My .02.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Premium Member
2017 KIA Soul base, Titanium. Bought some better taars.
2,658 Posts
Agree, Hawker, about the handling issues.

My '13 felt like it rolled almost zilch. My '15 rolls more than I like. BUT it rides so much better that the compromise is worth it. These Toledo area roads would be rough with the 1G car but the 2G soaks up most of the neglected-repairs that characterize the roads in Klinger's home town.

·
Registered
509 Posts
A three-week rental was enough to not only put a Soul on our radar, but to decide to buy one back in 2010. Nothing like living with a car for more than a 10 minute test drive to start identifying the good and bad points!

I think Kia has done a very good job of updating the Soul in its second generation. Toyota botched the xB and it was pretty much fatal for that model. The second-gen VW Beetle was a tough act to follow (given that most of the appeal of the current "New Beetle" was that it was so retro); Volkswagen really didn't do anything to move the needle on that car. Kia seems to have listened to most of the complaints and the compliments and worked accordingly. Nice move.....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts